Question on Kahr CW9 8rnd Magazine

This is a discussion on Question on Kahr CW9 8rnd Magazine within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any CW9 owners here tried the 8 round magazines part #K920? I need to know if the base fits flusk with the magazine well or ...

Thread: Question on Kahr CW9 8rnd Magazine

Any CW9 owners here tried the 8 round magazines part #K920? I need to know if the base fits flusk with the magazine well or not.

Any reliability problems?

Thanks

Had a couple of the different CW9 mags. Didn't seem to alter the unreliability of feeding that I had experienced with the CW9. Same nose-down problems; same occasional jams. IIRC, it's the same basic design as the other mags, just longer by +1 round, so it shouldn't be expected to perform much differently. (Have since sold off the CW9, due to this main problem in my hands. Never could get it to be reliable.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Had a couple of the different CW9 mags. Didn't seem to alter the unreliability of feeding that I had experienced with the CW9. Same nose-down problems; same occasional jams. IIRC, it's the same basic design as the other mags, just longer by +1 round, so it shouldn't be expected to perform much differently. (Have since sold off the CW9, due to this main problem in my hands. Never could get it to be reliable.)
    Thanks,

I would prefer 8 rds vs the issued 7.

Regarding reliability, I have decided I don't care who makes the gun, they are individuals and need to be proven before I trust any of them.

No, the 8 round mag for the CW9 does not fit flush with the magazine well. The black extension adds to the length of the grip
    and what you see below is what you get. I use the +1 mags in my CM9 and have no issues with them.

Here is a link to the site you can pick one up....cdnninvestments.com

Kahr 9mm 8rd Stainless K9/P9/CW9 Mag w/Finger Rest New Factory

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The 8 round mag does not fit flush. The handgun uses a 7 shot mag. I do carry my 8 rounder as back up. Easier for me to handle and works 100% in my cm9 and cw9.

I bought 3 additional 7 round and 3 additional 8 round mags for my CW9. All work flawlessly. For carry, I use the 7 but will carry an 8 as a spare. I find the CW9 to be difficult to conceal and the 8 round mag just adds a titch to it's bulkiness. I've also been alternately carrying a Ruger LCP; much easier to conceal and more comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I use the "other" 8 round mags, those meant for the T size Kahrs. They work just as well as the finger rest style shown above but they fit in TP and T9, whereas the extended 8 round mag with finger rest does not.

This is the one I am looking at, the K920. The floor plate is different from the one in the picture above.

Kahr 8 Round 9mm Magazine "K920" - Style # K920, Kahr Arms Magazines

The K920 mag is the same length as the K920G with the built in rest. I tried the the former at my LGS. There is a gap between the floor plate and the pistol. I didn't care for the gap. Since they were the same length I opted for the K920G with the finger rest. I purchased mine here: Kahr Arms Mag 9MM 8Rd Stainless K9 K920G - ManVenture Outpost, LLC. They have both styles.

Someone mentioned trouble concealing their CW9. I find that amazing. The pistol is only .90 wide. The only thing flatter is maybe a Kel-tec PF9. I carry mine with the 8 round and a sticky holster with no problems.
    I carry it with a pretty steep forward cant and have no problem concealing the grip. I'm 5' 9" 240lbs so If my chubby self can conceal it I don't understand how someone has that kind of problem.

As far as reliability mine doesn't even have a hundred rounds down the pipe and it's been stone cold reliable from the first shot. Kahr recommends a two hundred round break-in before carry, mine didn't seem to require that many. I did follow this recommended guide though: Proper prep of a new kahr - KahrTalk Forums
    “Our lives come from God. So does our right to defend them”
    There is only one gun law in this country, the 2nd Amendment. All else is bureaucratic nonsense that I choose to comply with or not at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwonderful View Post
    The K920 mag is the same length as the K920G with the built in rest. I tried the the former at my LGS. There is a gap between the floor plate and the pistol. I didn't care for the gap. Since they were the same length I opted for the K920G with the finger rest. I purchased mine here: Kahr Arms Mag 9MM 8Rd Stainless K9 K920G - ManVenture Outpost, LLC. They have both styles.
    Thanks. This was one of my main concerns ^^^

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    This is the one I am looking at, the K920. The floor plate is different from the one in the picture above.

Kahr 8 Round 9mm Magazine "K920" - Style # K920, Kahr Arms Magazines
    This magazine is made for the T models. It will fit K and M model Kahrs but will extend out of the mag well by about a half inch or inch respectively.

Pro Mag makes both 7 and 8 round mags that sort of "bridge the gap" by using a different base and follower. Seen here, with a P9 which is the same size as the CW9 the OP is using, are all four mags - two Pro Mag and two Kahr.

That's a 8 round Pro Mag inserted in the P9. I acquired 10 of the Pro Mags as part of the deal for this P9 a few years ago. I use them in my P9 and K9. So far they have worked without any problem. In some ways I like them better than the factory mags.

I have both K920's and K920G's. The K920G looks more aesthetically pleasing and feels better IMO. If I did it over, I'd go with all K920G's.

I just saw some on ebay as low as $33 and change incl shipping but I've seen (and bought them) a good bit cheaper.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I use the same 8 round mag on the cw9 and found I liked the front edge of the stock 7 round mag base to be ground off and smoothed. Hate that little edge on it.

Sponsored Links