Anyone Carry a Colt Double Eagle MKII 45

This is a discussion on Anyone Carry a Colt Double Eagle MKII 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here have a Colt Double Eagle in 45 (or 10 would do) I am probably picking up one tomorrow and there is really not ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennjed
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Anyone Carry a Colt Double Eagle MKII 45

Anyone Carry a Colt Double Eagle MKII 45

Anyone here have a Colt Double Eagle in 45 (or 10 would do) I am probably picking up one tomorrow and there is really not too much on here about them. I searched and came up with a few threads but not many or any recent.

First off, I know it is not a 1911. I will be getting it for range, fun, and add to my collection with occasional carry. I kinda like unique guns and my trigger style of choice is DA/SA.

1) Am I correct that they will take standard 1911 mags?

2) Will most 1911 holsters fit? From what I have read they are wider, but how much? The trigger guard seems larger than a standard 1911. For anyone that canaries one, do you have any holster recommendations?

From what I can gather the Mark Is has some issues, but anything bad about the Mark IIs? Do most owners seem happen with function, accuracy and lifespan?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I use to have a DE and it was a joy to shoot but the trigger is not near as good as the 1911.
    Factory 1911 mags are the same as the factory DE mags.
    I use to carry one in a Desantis leather holster made for a 1911.
    One thing, be careful when you remove the grips on the Double Eagle.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

The Double Eagle was an unfortunate foray by Colt in the the modern double-action autoloading pistol market, absent the design mastery of Browning and others of that level. They were late to the game, and the gun never lived up to its promise. One of the questionable design elements was the likelihood of a spring leaping out at you with the simple removal of the right grip.

I think it's great as a shooter and range toy, but it was relatively short-lived in the market place and never demonstrated service reliability, good or bad. That would be my reason to hesitate to rely on it for self-defense, but ultimately that decision is up to you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The Double Eagle was an unfortunate foray by Colt in the the modern double-action autoloading pistol market, absent the design mastery of Browning and others of that level. They were late to the game, and the gun never lived up to its promise. One of the questionable design elements was the likelihood of a spring leaping out at you with the simple removal of the right grip.

I think it's great as a shooter and range toy, but it was relatively short-lived in the market place and never demonstrated service reliability, good or bad. That would be my reason to hesitate to rely on it for self-defense, but ultimately that decision is up to you.
    I got self defense covered so it would just be a range toy if carry didn't work out. My understanding is they fixed the spring and grip issue with the MKII

Administrator
    2) Will most 1911 holsters fit? From what I have read they are wider, but how much? The trigger guard seems larger than a standard 1911.

Most 1911 holsters will not fit the Double Eagle very well. Tightly molded 1911 Kydex holsters especially will be problematic.

Nicer...vintage Double Eagle holsters pop up on Ebay from time to time.

Most of the ones listed on Ebay for the Double Eagle will be pretty crappy almost generic looking holsters but, every blue moon a nicer holster molded specifically to the Double Eagle will pop up.

Keep checking.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Links