Sometimes I wish my brain would slow down ...

This is a discussion on Sometimes I wish my brain would slow down ... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... especially when I begin thinking about concealed carry and other weapons for defensive purposes. Let me explain. I'm 62 years old and have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Sometimes I wish my brain would slow down ...

... especially when I begin thinking about concealed carry and other weapons for defensive purposes. Let me explain.

I'm 62 years old and have been shooting handguns since the army, when I qualified expert with a 1911 in MP school. Since that time I've owned several brands of revolvers and semi-autos and have killed between 7-9 whitetail deer with a S&W 629 .44 magnum revolver, open sights, 4" barrel and no compensator; so I'm not averse to recoil.

Late in 2004 I bought my first Glock, a Model 27 (.40 caliber) and I got caught up in action pistol shooting, some IPSC, but mostly IDPA, with assorted Glocks in 9mm and .40 caliber. I even bought a 10mm model for deer hunting, with bad results in terms of wounding a nice animal that escaped. A year or so ago I decided to settle on the 9mm platform and got both my wife and myself Model 26 Glocks. She carried hers in her purse and I used a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment IWB at the 12:30 position. I actually made Expert in the SSP division with my Gen 4 model and I thought we could ride into the sunset with two matching guns.

However, I wound up having dual hernia repairs in early September and could no longer carry my Glock in the usual position due to the incision on my right side. My wife also began complaining about the weight of her G26, so I sold them both, picked up two S&W snubbies and a Gen 4 Model 19 with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL. I've got LOTS of 9mm hollow point SD ammo and a Little Foxx IWB holster that I try to wear at the 3:30 position, but it's such a production compared to stuffing the 642 down the front of my pants in the 12 noon spot with a Remora holster. Doesn't seem to bother the scars and I hardly know it's there. Since I bought the snubbie I have not carried the G19.

So, here's my dilemma: do I hang on to the G19 with six hi-cap mags and three holsters and all that ammo, or do I give in to my urge for a .45 ACP? I've been looking at the Glock lineup and seem mainly attracted to the G30S. I think I might be able to use my Little Foxx holster and maybe my Glock combat/sport holster with the G30S. I expect I can still use the tactical light with the G30S as well.

The way things are looking, I doubt if I'll ever get really serious about IDPA competition again, so whichever Glock I own, it will mostly be for things like hiking and biking in the wilderness of Arizona. I expect I'll shoot a few IDPA club matches every year, along with some BUG matches (using the snubbie), but otherwise the gun will be in my safe.

Rather than start a caliber war, let me say in conclusion that I have been carrying Federal 115 grain +P+ hollow points, the old Border Patrol carry load (9BPLE) and feel very well armed with that load. I can also shoot the G19 just fine and might even be able to make Expert again in SSP division with the larger gun, so accuracy isn't an issue ... YET. But, as I get older and my vision gets less sharp with each year, I find myself thinking (hoping?) that any deadly encounter I'm likely to have will be fairly close and might involve just a few shots. In that case, I'm thinking a 185 or 230 grain +P HP .45 slug kind of trumps most other combat calibers.

Thanks for your thoughts. This forum has provided lots of interesting grist for the mill in recent years, so I expect your responses will do the same on this subject.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

The .45acp always will be the winner in pure stopping power. However, I carried a Bersa .45 for many years, then this year I sold the Bersa and bought a 9mm as my EDC because I wanted the extra round capacity, 7+1 on the bersa verses 10+1 on the 9mm. Plus .45 ammo is considerably heavier than 9mm, making the gun much heavier too.

With all that said, I already miss my .45acp.

Sara Lou
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

If you're finding it "a chore" to carry certain units (over the 642 snubbie), then I suppose it'll depend on whether you find a suitable .45 platform that'll fit your limitations.

All that ammo might well boost your chances of a healthy windfall from the sale, if you bundle it. A G19 should be easy enough to sell, either way. Of course, you'll need to cough up for .45ACP ammo, which ain't cheap.

And if you're already comfortable with the Glock format, the 30 (or 30S) should be easy to deal with.

If 9mm was giving me yawns and .45ACP was calling, I'd have no problems making the switch.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Cautionary tale many shooters (Not me of course...not much) Start going through phases revolver to auto to .45 to 9mm it's fun but pricey. By the way you haven't seen a 9mm revolver lately?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

So, here's my dilemma: do I hang on to the G19 with six hi-cap mags and three holsters and all that ammo, or do I give in to my urge for a .45 ACP?
    Just send that nasty Glock to me.......................
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I can't believe you sold a firearm because you couldn't carry it on your waist. There are LOTS of other carry methods.

That incision will heal and chances are you will wish you had your G19 back if you get rid of it now. Yes, let your brain slow down, give your body a chance to heal, then think about it again.

In the meantime, if you have spare bucks, a good .45 is always a nice thing to have at hand.
    Hopyard and gatorbait51 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

40 Bob - Surely you have better things to do, like count snowflakes or something. Congrats again on your retirement.

tdave - Yeppir, Charter Arms sells a 9mm revolver, but it's almost as heavy as a G26. And, my last experience with Charter Arms was not a good one.

Badger J - Yes, there are lots of other places to carry a small handgun, but I'm from the school that says always carry in the same place and you'll not hesitate if the need arises to find it, draw it and shoot it in a hurry. I've got to say that 3:30 doesn't lend itself to a fast draw when I am carrying IWB. I've got a Blade Tech paddle holster that I use for some IDPA matches, but that's OWB and worn at about 3:00. Under some circumstances (like wearing a vest or light jacket), I might carry a gun OWB, but that seems seldom compared to un-tucked shirts, including t-shirts, because I try to stay in warm places ... thus the snowbird moniker.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Thanks Shooter Granny, that's good advice also. Whatever I do, it won't be really soon.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

That's a tough one. I'm considering buying a Glock sometime in the next six months or so, and my top two choices would be a G19 and a G30S. From the dimensions Glock lists, they're nearly identical in size. So, I don't want to get into caliber wars either, but since that's the big difference...

I think I'd lean towards the .45. Certainly 9mm has come a long way, but I don't see much reason to choose it over .45 unless it's for a significantly smaller weapon, or maybe for a duty weapon when carried with four or five spare magazines, where you'd have a LOT more rounds with the 9mm. If one carries a spare mag for either, it's 21 rounds of .45 vs 31 rounds of 9mm - I can't say which is better. I love the single .45 I currently own, great fun to shoot, and it's nice to know it would be effective whether or not the bullet expands, which just isn't true of 9mm. Just my $0.02.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post

tdave - Yeppir, Charter Arms sells a 9mm revolver, but it's almost as heavy as a G26. And, my last experience with Charter Arms was not a good one.
    I have had two friends who had Charter Arms they were not happy thanks for the heads up though. I'm looking for an SP101 in 9mm and hoping for an LCR in that ilk.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Funny thing about the 45. I bought a Glock 19 just after Christmas last year.
    It's still in the safe, unfired. (I know, sacrilege)
    I just like carrying my 45 better. In fact, I thinking about a G36.
    gatorbait51 and Mdauben like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    45 ammo is considerably heavier than 9mm, making the gun much heavier too.
    Figure 9 oz. for a full mag, regardless of caliber. (14) 9s will probably weigh as much as (7) .45s.

Do I hang on to the G19 with six hi-cap mags and three holsters and all that ammo, or do I give in to my urge for a .45 ACP?
    You keep the G19 and you get the .45ACP. Just don't expect the G30 to feel as good in the hand as the G19. That is the determining factor. For contrast, handle a G36. And while you're at it handle a SA XD45 Compact (not the XDM, though) and a S&W M&P 45c with the slim backstrap (have the salesman change the backstrap before you even pick it up.)

If you have a reliable G19 you should keep it. Unless it doesn't hit your hand as well as you'd like.

A year or so ago I decided to settle on the 9mm platform and got both my wife and myself Model 26 Glocks.
    Me, personally, if I owned both I would get rid of the G26 before I got rid of the G19. But that's just me. ymmv. P.S., since your wife owns a G26 you wouldn't want to get rid of the ammo, anyway. I take it that you have some standard size G19 mags.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Went to Wal Mart yesterday. They had one box of .38, one of 9mm, but a bunch of .45.

With the ammo situation today, I think you are better off having several guns in different calibers, so you can usually have something to use.

If you want a .45, get it...but keep what you have.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Cautionary tale many shooters (Not me of course...not much) Start going through phases revolver to auto to .45 to 9mm it's fun but pricey. By the way you haven't seen a 9mm revolver lately?
    Last gun show had TWO S&W M547s , a 9 mm K framed revolver. They sellers also wanted some serious collector prices for them .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links