Did I get ripped off on "new" G21SF?

This is a discussion on Did I get ripped off on "new" G21SF? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a "new" Glock 21SF Gen 3 from LGS on 10/22. I have purchased 2 other firearms and an untold amount of ammo ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Did I get ripped off on "new" G21SF?

I recently purchased a "new" Glock 21SF Gen 3 from LGS on 10/22. I have purchased 2 other firearms and an untold amount of ammo & various accessories from this well-respected LGS within the past year with no problems whatsoever.

Just this past afternoon I took the 21SF out to put on some Hogue grips. While handling the gun I noticed that with the slide locked back I was still able to pull the trigger. I have owned Glocks before, including my current G26 Gen 3, and know that you should not be able to activate the trigger mechanism while the slide is locked. Keep in mind that I have NOT fired this gun yet. So I decided to field strip the gun to take a closer look. I was shocked to see what appears to be wear on the inside of the slide. There is even a section of the slide that looks like the metal has been gouged for lack of a better term. For comparison purposes I took apart my G26 through which I have fired hundreds of rounds with no such discernible wear.

Tell me what you think.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383514615.411008.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383514627.877423.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383514638.161056.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me that says used gun- but maybe I'm just looking at what you are.

And I'm going to move the thread for more exposure
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Does the copper stuff come off ? I believe they use copper grease . If it does not then what they heck was the last guy shooting? I also just ask my friend to lock his glock slide and pull the trigger and they did click and go back a bit , so not sure what is happen with you 26 or 40 verus my friends . But all his guns are 9mm so.. ? Also none are the sf frames so not sure there, I know a gunsmith had check them out and did not see a problem ..
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I just purchased a Shield with a test fire date of 10/28/13. Less than a week. I noticed when I stripped the gun the slide had a copper like deposit on the bottom - which happens when the slide slides over a FMJ round repeatedly as it slides back into battery.

But I'm sure the Shield is a new gun.

Some LGS allow users to handle the guns - the display models are the ones for sale. Often you will see some wear on the "new" gun as a result.

Can't help you on the trigger issue, I personally don't own any Glocks.

Edit: Also, a gun that has been fired much will have some residue somewhere, unless the owner stripes it down to the piece parts and cleans it. I don't see powder residue anywhere in your photo. I suggest you shoot the crap out of it and make the issue moot.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Dont forget...manufacturers test fire guns... all of them... before they leave the factory..... this is usually more than just one round to. If their is copper on the inside of the slide, thats probably the source. In regards to your glock, if you are not happy take it back. The dealer sold, they should stand by it as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

MJK
    I see the "gouge" which is unusual. It almost looks like a screwdriver slipped and caused the scratch mark.

The one thing I notice, though, is that the gold factory lube is missing from the slide rails. This can only happen if its either cleaned or worn off.

If the trigger has been reset then locking the slide should not cause any trigger motion so you should be able to pull it, though the striker won't be released.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Dont forget...manufacturers test fire guns... all of them... before they leave the factory..... this is usually more than just one round to. If their is copper on the inside of the slide, thats probably the source. In regards to your glock, if you are not happy take it back. The dealer sold, they should stand by it as well.
    ^^^What he said^^^

The gun will be fired before it even leaves the factory.

If it was in the display case (almost every gun I've bought from my LGS was), it very well could have been handled by quite a few people before it ever got to you. Touched, slide racked, trigger pulled, etc. It isn't always going to be pristine.

I'd wait til you shoot it to decide if you got ripped off or not.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Im with you, OP. The gun appears not to function properly, and shows unusual signs of wear. Perhaps it can all be explained, but I would be looking for an explanation Mon morning from my LGS.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

BTW, My G19's trigger can be pulled when the slide is locked back. It was used when I bought it, but I bought it from my boss who is an FFL dealer, range manager, and the most reputable gunsmith in this area.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Well, it seems I may have gotten my panties in a bunch for no reason after all:) WrongRecroom appears to have diagnosed the reason behind the marks on the slide. Copper grease of some sort. It just wipes off! Color me red for embarrassed! As for the being able to pull the trigger with the slide locked issue, from the responses here it seems like some do & some don't. Baffling really, as my G26 & former G19 Gen 3 don't do this. The trigger is essentially immobilized. Rock solid. I will make a stop at my LGS tommorrow & run it by them just for curiosity sake.

Thanks for all the responses. I knew with all the knowledgable members on this forum I would be able to get an answer in no time. Thanks again.

I just locked my G19 gen 4 slide back and can pull the trigger, so I would not worry about that. Hope you enjoy shooting the new gun, I love my 19..

Gary
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thrasherg View Post
    I just locked my G19 gen 4 slide back and can pull the trigger, so I would not worry about that. Hope you enjoy shooting the new gun, I love my 19..

Gary
    Thanks. I can't wait to put some big 'ole .45 rounds down range. This is my first .45, though not the first one I've shot, and I just haven't had the time to make it to the range.

gatorbait51 and zwv1951 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesWinnfield View Post
    Copper grease of some sort. It just wipes off!
    Supposedly you are not supposed to wipe off any of the copper grease. Read your manual.

Page 37 of you Glock manual under "Cleaning and Field stripping the pistol" (revised edition 8/99)

" Note that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of brand new GLOCK pistols should not be removed as it will help to provide long term lubrication of the slide."

I have read somewhere else you should allow it to stay there for at least 300-500 rounds.
    Glock Grease? - The Firing Line Forums
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I see the "gouge" which is unusual. It almost looks like a screwdriver slipped and caused the scratch mark.

The one thing I notice, though, is that the gold factory lube is missing from the slide rails. This can only happen if its either cleaned or worn off.

If the trigger has been reset then locking the slide should not cause any trigger motion so you should be able to pull it, though the striker won't be released.
    To me it looks like copper anti-seize compound that Glock puts on almost all new Glocks.

Little off topic here but talking about the copper colored anti-seize on new Glocks. I purchased a new Gen 4 Glock 30 back in April. It was a brand new blue label Glock and I watched the salesman cut the label to open the plastic box. I filled out the paperwork, paid for the pistol and went home. I field stripped the pistol to clean as I do all my new Glocks. To my surprise the G30 was bone dry and did not have any copper anti-seize on it any where. I have bought a bunch of Glocks over the years and have seen a bunch of new ones and it was the first I'd ever seen like that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Supposedly you are not supposed to wipe off any of the copper grease. Read your manual.

Glock Grease? - The Firing Line Forums
    Thanks for the info. I normally would follow manufacturer recommendations but I was planning on FrogLubing the 21SF before its first trip to the range. After everything I've read & seen on the stuff it lubricates like no other.

gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links