Has Sig figured out the P938 ailments yet?

This is a discussion on Has Sig figured out the P938 ailments yet? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a Nightmare ( indeed, aptly named) last year in 2012 and after 300 rounds i couldnt wait to dish it off. Had so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Has Sig figured out the P938 ailments yet?

New Member Array Yellowperchman's Avatar

I had a Nightmare ( indeed, aptly named) last year in 2012 and after 300 rounds i couldnt wait to dish it off. Had so many FTE it was pathetic. I had it sent back to SIG and they replaced the extractor and advised me to run Speer Lawman 124 gr. Sorry, but if i plop $700 down, i want a daggone gun thatll shoot anything!!! Plus, this day and age, im glad to just find a box of 9mm let alone the grain selection. I really wanted that little piece to work and be my EDC. Mine i think was made in Aug or Sept of 2012. Has anyone bought one since? Working well...even with Remington Greenbox / UMC 115s?

Also looking at a Colt Mustang or a P238. But, daggone it, after the 938 experience, i am in buyer beware mode.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Bought one this summer for my wife; no issues.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I have two that I purchased in November and December last year and both have been flawless.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

You aren't the only one.

Had a 238 Nitron that only fed Golden Sabers. A pain when they only feed one kind of ammo, so I offloaded it.

Then I got a 238 Scorpion. This one only fed Critical Defense. I offloaded it as well.

I stick with the traditional P series guns. They'll eat anything. No more 238s (or 938s) for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Both my wife's P238 and my P938 are just fine. My 938 doesn't like a particular brand of commercial reloads, but that's the only quirk.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My understating the issue was the first ones were 238 made to fire 9mm but parts were 238 the later ones were all different parts and had no problems by my understanding . This link talks on the issue and the good serial numbers Sig Sauer P938 Review | Center Mass Group.

"the initial release of the P938 up until models manufactured to OCT 2012 (per Sig and my research) are the ones that had FTF and FTE issues. Sig narrowed down the actual serial numbers. The serial numbers on the P938 all start with “52A0” then all numbers after that are the unique numbers to your pistol. The ones with serial numbers of 8899 and lower are the “misfit toys”. These serial numbers relate to manufacture dates of about mid-September 2012 and earlier"

So post sep 2012 are good guns same for the 238 a few early ones had recalls . Heck I have heard some version of the colt had there share of problems .

Personal I like both guns . They to me are some of the softest shooting pocket guns I have found and and if you like 1911 they are like a mini 1911. Plus I was not cursing violent trying to take them down and clean. Still more difficult then I like but I did not need a stiff drink like I did after cleaning my bodyguard ( it likes to bite me see..). I would see if SIG will take care of you maybe it is a problem gun , who knows?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

cj
    I just noticed the 938 for the first time this past weekend and have been on the lookout for discussions. The most disappointing thing to me was the awful, heavy trigger on the first one I tried. Then we pulled out the other one in the cabinet, and it was even worse, with two creepy stages followed by a very heavy break. I'll be watching this thread for other opinions, but meanwhile think I'll wait a bit on this one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

650 rounds through mine so and has functioned flawlessly. I think all the bugs are out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I owned and carried one of my two Sig P238s for three years as a pocket backup gun with no issues. I sold them and bought a Springfield Armory XDs-45 with five plus one .45 ACP for pocket carry. When it was recalled, I bought a Sip P938. So far with around 400 rounds of various self-defense ammo, it has been flawless. I just got the SA XDs-45 back last week. I will put around 200 rounds through it before it goes back to being a pocket carry gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Mine is pretty much my primary carry, eats everything, never an issue. Only complaint I have is that the factory laser deal that came with it....just doesn't float my boat. I have to keep looking at my hand under the opening of my holster to make sure I am not putting a bright red dot on the ground next to me after holstering or getting out of the truck, thinking the seat belt may have activated it. I love the gun, never a single issue.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Those of you who carry a 238 or 938, do you carry with the hammer down or cocked and locked?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Those of you who carry a 238 or 938, do you carry with the hammer down or cocked and locked?

I carry mine in condition one in a holster in my pocket just like the 1911 on my hip.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

New Member Array Yellowperchman's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses everyone, and the link RecRoom. I appreciate it. With my experience with my former 938, I am not saying it wasn't me that was the problem either. I don't know. I may have been limpwristing it. But Ive never had a FTE on any of my other weapons (2 PPks, Mak, Glock, Steyr). I can say, now that I think about it, my old 938 was born on August 9 or 13th, 2012, so was indeed in the problem child category. I had it sent back to SIG once, was returned, and I still couldn't cycle and it was like nothing had changed. So I sold it.

Glad to hear most are having good experiences with theirs. My PPK/S has been my EDC for summertime as I am mostly in shorts and t-shirt but am a little wary of the small sights should I ever need it in a bad situation. The SIG would definitely give me lots more confidence with their nightsights.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I just bought my first ever gun and it is a SIG P238 and I love it, so far I've put about 500 rounds through it and I've not had a problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    This gun is single action only. So unless you want to carry one less round and be fumbling with trying to rack the slide with a hand that might not not be available or attempting to fully cock the hammer when you should be pulling the trigger, cocked and locked is the only logical way to carry this firearm.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links