FNH FNX .45 Tactical feedback

This is a discussion on FNH FNX .45 Tactical feedback within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently become enamored with this pistol & am interested in any feedback from those who have shot or handled one. More specifically: 1) Grip ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FNH FNX .45 Tactical feedback

I've recently become enamored with this pistol & am interested in any feedback from those who have shot or handled one. More specifically:

1) Grip size: I keep hearing it may be a handful for those of us who fall into the small to medium-sized hand category. How thick is it compared to say the Glock 21?

2) Reliability: I have been lucky with all of the guns I have owned so far as far as reliability goes (G19, G26, Kahr PM9 & Sig Sauer P250C 9mm Gen 2). I know FNH is a well-respected world-class firearms maker so I'd expect the FNX Tactical to reflect this.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Hopefully someone that owns the FNX will chime in soon. I had an FNP45 Tactical which is almost identical to the newer FNX. Overall it was a great gun (and nearly everything about the FNP is the same in the FNX). The grip isn't really all that fat, it's almost slender. This is because they made the mag ridiculously long instead of super thick. It's accurate and very soft shooting. The trigger is really excellent for a service type gun. Mine was very reliable; the only issues I ever had were with some wimply WWB that wouldn't cycle the gun and some old LSWC that wouldn't run through any auto that I tried it in.

Ultimately I traded the gun in on an HK USP45 Tactical. In almost every way the USP45 Tactical is a better gun, but the FNH has a much better DA trigger. The FNP/FNX also has a standard rail vs the non-standard USP rail. I tried a couple different lights and the both fit the FN perfectly. The one knock on the FN for me was the safety. It's kind of small and the detent isn't very positive- it's very easy to swipe the safety off. It's not a gun I would feel confident in with carrying cocked and locked.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I can only speak to the grip size question (And only kind of). I don't own a FNX Tactical but my good friend owns a FNP-45 tactical. I am fairly certain that the frame and grip are the same size. I would agree that it's a pretty substantial gun. I could shoot it but didn't fit it very comfortable. I have medium size hands.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have an FNX45T. The grip is on the large size. It pretty much has to be to get the 15 round magazines in there. The gun has been dead solid reliable. But if you have small hands it's going to be hard to get a good grip on it. I'm 5'-8" and don't have big hands. I end up wearing size large gloves, probably because they keep making gloves smaller. This is what it looks like in my hand set for a double action first trigger pull.

This is what it looks like cocked, safety off, trigger at breakpoint:

And this is it after the trigger was pulled and held back while I manually cycled the slide:

Fitch
    sensei2 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have medium sized hands at best. The first time I picked up and FNX 45T I thought the grip was too big. To my amazement, it holds easily and shoots incredibly soft, no problems at all. Grip not an issue. I own one now and love it. 100% reliable -- absolutely 100 %. Highly highly recommended. SCAR 17 also a dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I have an FNX45T. The grip is on the large size. It pretty much has to be to get the 15 round magazines in there. The gun has been dead solid reliable. But if you have small hands it's going to be hard to get a good grip on it. I'm 5'-8" and don't have big hands. I end up wearing size large gloves, probably because they keep making gloves smaller. This is what it looks like in my hand set for a double action first trigger pull.

This is what it looks like cocked, safety off, trigger at breakpoint:

And this is it after the trigger was pulled and held back while I manually cycled the slide:

Fitch
    Thanks for the thorough answer & pics. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gark View Post
    I have medium sized hands at best. The first time I picked up and FNX 45T I thought the grip was too big. To my amazement, it holds easily and shoots incredibly soft, no problems at all. Grip not an issue. I own one now and love it. 100% reliable -- absolutely 100 %. Highly highly recommended. SCAR 17 also a dream!
    I believe my hands fall into the medium-sized category so your reply gives me hope that the FNX T my have a place in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Hopefully someone that owns the FNX will chime in soon. I had an FNP45 Tactical which is almost identical to the newer FNX. Overall it was a great gun (and nearly everything about the FNP is the same in the FNX). The grip isn't really all that fat, it's almost slender. This is because they made the mag ridiculously long instead of super thick. It's accurate and very soft shooting. The trigger is really excellent for a service type gun. Mine was very reliable; the only issues I ever had were with some wimply WWB that wouldn't cycle the gun and some old LSWC that wouldn't run through any auto that I tried it in.

Ultimately I traded the gun in on an HK USP45 Tactical. In almost every way the USP45 Tactical is a better gun, but the FNH has a much better DA trigger. The FNP/FNX also has a standard rail vs the non-standard USP rail. I tried a couple different lights and the both fit the FN perfectly. The one knock on the FN for me was the safety. It's kind of small and the detent isn't very positive- it's very easy to swipe the safety off. It's not a gun I would feel confident in with carrying cocked and locked.
    I believe your right about the FNP T & FNX T essentially being the same gun. I believe there were only a few enhancements made with the FNX T. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, very similar. I bought mine right before they changed, of course! It's a really nice gun, and if I would have kept it I'd have been happy with it, just couldn't afford to keep it and the HK.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Finally got to fondle an FNX .45 (tho not tactical) at the brand new Gander Mtn in Tampa. I find the grip to be similar, if not slightly slimmer and more comfortable, than my G21SF Gen 3. That double action pull is a mother though! After that the single action was pretty nice with a little take up in the beginning. Overall, pretty nice IMO. The Tactical is still a the top of my list for my next toy.

The grip on mine feels much like the Glock G21 SF that it replaced. It has been very reliable with zero issues. If FNH made an FNX-10mm Tactical, I would sell my one and only Glock which is a G20 SF.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    The grip on mine feels much like the Glock G21 SF that it replaced. It has been very reliable with zero issues. If FNH made an FNX-10mm Tactical, I would sell my one and only Glock which is a G20 SF.

Color me green with envy. How heavy would you say that DA trigger pull is? Based on the one I tried out at Gander I'm guessing the 12 lb range. Definitely heavier than my Sig Sauer P250C & Kahr PM9, though I'd be willing to live with it.

To me it feels like I'm holding a 2x4, a very rough 2x4.

My duty gun is an FNP45 Tactical, basically the same gun as the FNX. I haven't had any trouble with it at all. I carry it cocked and locked and haven't had any issues with the safety. I've compared the feel of the grip with the G21 and it feels slimmer and the grip angle is more comfortable, it's the same as a 1911. Mine feeds all ammo and is quite accurate, like Phaedrus I got mine just before the switch to the new model. As I understand it the late P's had some of the upgrades that went into the X's so I haven't bothered to get the newer model.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by JulesWinnfield View Post
    Color me green with envy. How heavy would you say that DA trigger pull is? Based on the one I tried out at Gander I'm guessing the 12 lb range. Definitely heavier than my Sig Sauer P250C & Kahr PM9, though I'd be willing to live with it.

I would guess in the ten to twelve pound range. I carry it cocked and locked like my 1911s. The only time I use double-action is if I accidently swipe the thumb safety too hard and decock it. I will trade that for fifteen plus one capacity of Winchester PDX1 230 grain .45 ACP.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links