Winter ccw do you up the ante in Guns&ammo?

This is a discussion on Winter ccw do you up the ante in Guns&ammo? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the winter because of the thick winter garments that clog the h-speed hp of the 9mm and 40sw and make them fail to open ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter ccw do you up the ante in Guns&ammo?

In the winter because of the thick winter garments that clog the h-speed hp of the 9mm and 40sw and make them fail to open I pefer a little more bullet mass. Also in the winter with more sweaters ,sweatshirts and coats it makes it easy to pack more gun. Whats your winter ccw and why?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My EDC,is a Kimber .45 ACP. No matter the season this never changes.

This, with the origional,black box,Black Talon,230gr loading.This is a non +P load that I feel will penetrate right along with the Hornady XTP's.

For those of you that are concerned about not enough penetration,check out the line of XTP loadings from Hornady.

Especially the .45 ACP,230gr.+P @ 950fps.(#9096) -------

I tend to only change what I'm carrying based on activity and not weather. If I'm at work, it's the Keltec P-32 because I'm not carrying.

If I'm walking in the park, it's the Makarov because it's light and small. It's also the only OWB pistol I have and it's more comfortable to walk with I think.

All other times I have on my Kimber with 2 extra magazines. Now that I have it broken in and trust it, it has replaced my Px4 as my carry piece. The Px4 has moved to nightstand duty.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Administrator
    Kimber Gold Combat. Sometimes a sp101.

Senior Moderator
    My Taurus 605 most of the time. I do stagger in some FMJ along with the Hydroshocks in the Makarov 380 in winter though

When IDPA first came on the scene, I used to belong to the gun-of-the-month club. I tried shooting a different gun each month in an effort to find what worked best for me.

An interesting thing happened as a result, my accuracy went down and my times went up. After Id fooled around doing this for a while, one of the older shooters struck up a conversation with me. Hes the one who made me realize Id joined the gun-of-the-month club, and he asked me why I was switching guns so much. I told him I was trying to find what worked best for me while gaining proficiency with several different guns.

He gave me some advice that was very simple, but made a lot of sense. He told me all I was doing by switching guns was screwing myself up. He also told me that if I ever had to use my gun for real everything I did with it needed to be instinctive. He said I wouldnt have the luxury of taking the time to realize which gun I had with me and then thinking about how to make that particular gun run. He also told me Id have more than I could handle just processing the situation and trying to execute tactics, the gun handling had to be automatic. He told me to just pick a gun, or at least one type of gun, and stick with it until it had become an extension of myself.

Ive picked one gun I carry both winter and summer, and I carry it pretty much the same way both winter and summer. I picked the gun I carry because I thought it was the best self-defense tool I could apply to most situations, not because it was small or more convenient to carry or was the minimum I could get away with carrying wearing thin summer clothing. I picked it for carry because, over the years, it has become as familiar as an old friend, and everything I do with it has become an automatic response.

So, I carry the same full-sized gun in a larger caliber both winter and summer. I know this is not what most folks will decide to do, but it works pretty well for me.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Harold, You just can't ignor them "older" shooters.

My dad used to tell me >> 1."experience is the best teacher" and 2."you NEVER learn anything by talking,you learn by listening". I used to laugh at him(behind his back)back then,but now I feel that he was right.

When I wanted to start doing some extreme accuracy type of shooting,I would drive 100 miles to the state and nat'l benchrest matches. I would talk to anyone that would be kind enough to share their ideas on the subject. Same for the IPPSC stuff. I learned allot from the older, experianced shooters.(but sadly not enough to ever beat them)

For CCW,one weapon,one load, works for me. I find myself doing things while competative shooting that is very instinctive. And that's good. -------

VIP Member
    I have two guns that I will alternate as my main carry gun, a S&W 640 and a USPc in .45; I'll carry whichever one I can can conceal best. I carry the USPc decocked/safety off, so I don't have to fumble with a safety.

I prefer to carry my USPc year-round, but that is extremely difficult to do in the summer months.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty what do you carry in the 640? I too like the 45acp,but as stated the summer makes it harder to conceal. Then its the J-frame in the pocket. My G36 makes a good wintergun . My waist lenght Carhart makes draw a snap on the strongside IWB one handed. As you stated in the heat of the moment I just like a pull and shoot system with no levers or safetys to fumble with. Allso the same with the SW M-66 2.5" RB 357 mag. or the J-frame. The OLD LSWC-hp +P Load works good year around the same with the 230 45acp -HP. They perform as expected with light or heavy winter garb. IN the freezing cold the J-frame in the outside jacket pocket is fast and deady. One can keep a hand on it without alarming the average John &Jane Doe. But many a time the street thug has got the message by my body sign that spelled a high price to do the crime. The thug as as well as a street savy CCW knows what this means. Danger flashs in the perps eyes and mind and he knows the price he will pay.

Same ammo no matter the season: 200gr XTP in 45acp.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I always carry the same 2 guns.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II 45 acp and my Bug ... NAA .22 with HideaGrip
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

VIP Member
    Hi Fowler,
    I load my 640 with the Speer 125gr. .357 Gold Dots.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I do not plan to change my belt carry weapon (G26), but once I can afford it I plan to add 1 or 2 Centennial-style snubbies for the pockets.

Also, I think the expansion issues you're concerned with will be more related to bullet type/design than caliber and weight. For example, check out the available loadings of Speer Gold Dots and Cor-Bon DPX (very expensive).

A non-expanded HP round will penetrate similarly to a FMJ, so I don't think changing to a heavier bullet really addresses your concern.
    Last edited by gunmetal; December 8th, 2006 at 04:36 PM.

same 2 guns year round.

i change what i'm carrying based on work and/or activity, not the weather.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links