Sig p229 pros and cons please?

This is a discussion on Sig p229 pros and cons please? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went gun shopping today and narrowed it down to a glock 27 or sig p229, either in .40 cal. I think I know ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig p229 pros and cons please?

Sig p229 pros and cons please?

So I went gun shopping today and narrowed it down to a glock 27 or sig p229, either in .40 cal. I think I know most of the glocks good and bad points, but I'm not sure about the sig.
    Here's what I have so far:

pro:
    Gun fits my hand like a glove
    Gun shape(slightly more rounded)

cons:
    no finger grooves
    pricier than glock
    Mag release isn't big enough or in the right spot or something(small hands/fingers, hard to get to release)

Help me out with this people. I know with this first gun I'm going to be doing tons of shooting, so is it going to be capable of taking thousands of rounds without problem? Anything else anyone can think of is welcome advice.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    ...so is it going to be capable of taking thousands of rounds without problem?..
    Providing you keep it clean and whatnot; you bet!
    Beretta 92FS

Lead Moderator
    The biggest cons I've heard about the 229, and SIG in general over the years are price and very hard to use for left handed people.

SIG vs. Glock, no contest in my mind........ It would be SIG all the way, but I'm biased.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have shot, but never owned both a SIG P229 and the Glock 27.

For concealed carry, I would go with the G27 for a few reasons.

-The P229's recoil system isn't that great.
    -The 27 is smaller in dimension.
    -The 27 is a little lighter.

If you want something to serve double as your carry gun and a target pistol/plinker, go with the SIG P229, you'll be happer. I must say though that for such a little peice, the Glock 27 that I shot did exceptionally well as far as accuracy goes!

Just my 2, which isn't worth much.
    -Ryan

I am also looking at Sig229 and I bet you wont find to many negatives is a quality gun worth the money. The only draw back is that its the weight 32.4 oz and I believe not counting the rounds is a little heavy to carry all day long.

I dont really like a Glock and its only personal reasons not due function or quality. But from what I hear is also an excellent choice.

Administrator
    If this were a pure Sig Vs. Glock debate, I'd say Sig.

What purpose would this gun serve?
    If its going to be a CCW, I'd say buy the G27. Its smaller, lighter and easier to wear all day. The 229 is a bit heavy for CCW. CCWing a Sig is going to put some wear and tear on it, making it ugly. The Glock already is ugly, so you loose nothing there.

If its going to be a sock drawer gun, go with the 229 for reasons stated above. Also, don't short change the fact you can't comfortably reach the mag release. Can you reach the decock lever?
    To me, that is a huge factor to consider.

Don't worry about the finger groove thing, if you really want them you can add Hogue grips for about $20.

Maybe a Sig 239 is what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    The biggest cons I've heard about the 229, and SIG in general over the years are price and very hard to use for left handed people.
    +1 It's the only reason I don't have a SIG today.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Good question

That is a tough one. I owned a Sig once. I have never owned a Glock, but am thinking about getting a G19 in the future.

Prices are not retail, but Columbus, OH prices. Your market may differ.

Here are some things to think about:
    Glock ~$525:
    1.) Parts are avail. anywhere
    2.) Not many parts in gun, so not much can go wrong (at least that is the theory)
    3.) 1 year warranty (I think), although I hear they stand behind stuff longer than that.
    4.) Durable tennifer finish.
    5.) Torture test proven
    6.) Holsters, clips, and everything is more readily avail.
    7.) Mags for Glock are probably less expensive
    8.) Their barreling is supposed to be very accurate, but can't shoot lead.
    9.) Adaptability to shoot .22 and other calibers can be done on same platform (gun).
    10.) Rockwell hardness = 64
    11.) Consistent trigger everytime.
    12.) 15 + 1 on standard mag. You can buy ones that allow you to shoot more or less.
    13.) Glock takedown can be a pain at first but once you get the hang of it, it is quick. You have to pull trigger to remove slide.

Sig ~$700 (could be way off b/c haven't checked in a long time):
    1.) Parts not avail. everywhere.
    2.) P229 is US made (I think it is, at least. Exeter, NH?)
    3.) More parts and hammer can snag on clothes, etc. Hammer and decocker lever add more parts to gun, but some like to see the hammer.
    4.) Lifetime warranty
    5.) Nitron finish may not be as durable as Glock, but who knows? rockwell hardness = ??? (Sig doesn't tell you this)
    6.) Proven over time with LEOs and miltiaries world over, (albeit not like Glock).
    7.) I believe it can shoot lead and about anything else you put down it.
    8.) I think it is only a 12 or 13 round mag.
    9.) Can put Hogue grips on it so you may be able to get finger grooves and all that and make it really fit nice.
    10.) Made for right handers.
    11.) Nice takedown lever and don't have to pull trigger to remove slide. Probably best gun to field strip IMHO.

I think things are stacking in favor of the Glock for me. I would like to throw one other candidate in here for you as when I made this table, it influenced me to buy a M&P over the Glock.

S&W M&P ~$485:
    1.) Stainless steel
    2.) Lifetime warranty
    3.) 17+1 mag cap. is nice
    4.) Mag safety is nice for me (but you can get them without it),
    5.) Loaded chamber indicator
    5.) Cheaper than Glock, at least it is in Columbus, OH.
    6.) Adjustable grips
    7.) Truly out of the box ambidextrous
    8.) Made in USA (factor for me, but others hate it or don't care)
    9.) Takedown for me is easier than Glock due to Sig-like takedown lever.
    10.) Not proven, as it is brand new to the market. Saw one mag. article try to limp wrist/jam but it still shoots. This is far from torture test.
    10.) Steel Novak sights vs. Glock plastic sights vs. Sig metal sights
    11.) Can shoot lead and reloads easily.
    12.) Rockwell hardness = 68
    13.) Expensive mags. ~$30.

If you buy the Glock or M&P, take the extra $$$ and buy night sights, extra mags, a holster, and some ammo.

Good luck!
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Had both at one time.

Sig 229 very big for a compact gun. They do occassionally get surface rust and the slides get a little banged up.
    Glock 27to small for my hands unless I get the Pierce/equivalent extensions. You can't use anything softer then a DIAMOND to scratch the finish on the new Glocks.

Sig 229 carried one for a long time, they get very heavy after a while.
    Sig 229 my buddy just bought a 229 equinox $1000 gun. FTF for every one of the first 50 rounds . yes it was a .40. We tried everything 6 differn't mags, changed out his recoil spring (used mine), ammo Winchester white box, Federal, Reloads..... practically dipped it in oil. I am very pro Sig and have always loved them; however, lately I hear more and more people are having problems with them. I do teach a pistol course that in this state people can use it to apply for their CHP, and most people show up with either Glock or SIG. I had one students 239 malfunction on every last cartridge, tried differn't mags still did it.

I've never seen a Glock do that. Had one guy limp wrist the glock but we fixed that problem on the next shot. I'm not trashing Sig I have 4 now and still have the GOT SIG sticker on the back of my truck, but my Glock collection is going up now instead of the Sig collection.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Having carried both, I found that the SIG just fit my hand better and came to point alot better than the Glock. It also handles the .40SW recoil better than the Glock being a little heavier and having actually been designed for the cartridge.

The SIG also has something that the Glock doesn't have, second strike capability. That is if the round doesn't fire on the first try all you have to do is squeeze the trigger again, with the Glock you actually have to slightly cycle the slide to reset the trigger before you can try again. In my mind this is bad for a couple of reasons

1) If there is a hangfire you risk it going off when you are trying to re-cycle the slide, this is a definite safety hazard. Granted the probability on this is pretty low, but the risk still exists.

2) It requires that you lose sight picture. Even if you can hold it on target while re-cycling the slide, you still have to put your hand on the slide and cover the sights to do it.

I also happen to think that there is something in heirently wrong with a handgun that requires you to cycle the trigger as a step in disassembly. All it takes is a moment's forgetfulness and you could end up missing some fingers or worse.

So why do I carry a 1911 that technically doesn't have second strike capability either? With the 1911 all you have to do is cock back the hammer, it is a minimal inconvenience, lower risk than the Glock, and it is a risk I am prepared to live with.

On the subject of price (yes I know you listed other concerns)

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    That is a tough one. I owned a Sig once. I have never owned a Glock, but am thinking about getting a G19 in the future.

Prices are not retail, but Columbus, OH prices. Your market may differ.

Here are some things to think about:
    Glock ~$525:

Sig ~$700 (could be way off b/c haven't checked in a long time):

S&W M&P ~$485:

If you buy the Glock or M&P, take the extra $$$ and buy night sights, extra mags, a holster, and some ammo.

Good luck!
    CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) SIG P229 with every bit as much warranty as the Glock ~ $475
    Last edited by p8riot; December 8th, 2006 at 09:38 AM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    I also happen to think that there is something in heirently wrong with a handgun that requires you to cycle the trigger as a step in disassembly. All it takes is a moment's forgetfulness and you could end up missing some fingers or worse.
    This guy agrees with you and I do too, that is why I bought my M&P:
    http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...rom-email.html

Let's also not forget the KB factor Glock is known for b/c of unsupported chamber:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I

I would get an M&P and be done with it. I would still have to cycle slide like p8riot said, but it has a Sig-like takedown lever to prevent boo-boos like above. It is like a modern day Glock that fits hand better and is improved.
    -------------
    Walther1

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    This guy agrees with you and I do too, that is why I bought my M&P:
    http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...rom-email.html

Let's also not forget the KB factor Glock is known for b/c of unsupported chamber:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I

I would get an M&P and be done with it. I would still have to cycle slide like p8riot said, but it has a Sig-like takedown lever to prevent boo-boos like above. It is like a modern day Glock that fits hand better and is improved.
    I've seen that messed up hand before. Pretty convincing to me.

On the subject of KBs though, most of those have been traced to using "too hot" re-loads or lead bullets.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    I've seen that messed up hand before. Pretty convincing to me.

On the subject of KBs though, most of those have been traced to using "too hot" re-loads or lead bullets.
    That is another reason I went with M&P.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
    -------------
    Walther1

I love my Sig P-229, But it Is a little heavy for all day carry. Have you thought of a revolver in pocket carry, Such as one of S&W J-frames?
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

awsome advice everyone, thanks. Keep it comming! enigmaone: revolver wont happen, but I appreciate your effort in suggesting! :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links