Help create a concealed carry gun guide

This is a discussion on Help create a concealed carry gun guide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As evidenced by this forum, one of the biggest challenges to the new concealed carrier is selecting a pistol and I think we can help. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Help create a concealed carry gun guide

Question Help create a concealed carry gun guide

As evidenced by this forum, one of the biggest challenges to the new concealed carrier is selecting a pistol and I think we can help.

I would like to create a free concealed carry gun guide that answers many of the new carriers questions about what is the right gun for them by polling actual concealed carriers.

Once the results are in I will compile the specifications on the guns, the popularity, price, ratings, demographics and infer the relative importance of multiple attributes and develop a free downloadable report.

Will you help contribute to the project by taking 2 minutes to complete this survey?

Concealed Carry Gun Guide | When the Balloon Goes Up!
    Kennydale and cthruit like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ronlarimer View Post
    Will you help contribute to the project by taking 2 minutes to complete this survey?
    Sorry, but NO!

Every time I try to elaborate, I realize I am either being paranoid or rebellious about being encouraged to follow what the "pack" does, so I am not going to answer further.

Read
    Learn
    Research
    Decide on your own
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member
    I read your survey and responded. Good luck with it.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

I'm going to have to agree with high pockets I don't believe any survey will answer questions about the right gun, holster, carry position etc for a new carrier One has to actually go out and shoot a few to decide. I do not go by survey's, guides, popularity etc. I research, shoot different models and then I decide what I want. Example.... I wanted a .40 I had never shot one or done any research or even held one. Glocks are really popular and are a proven weapon. I had it for about 4 months. I did not like the grip angle or the feel of the grip. The gun was uncomfortable to me. It didn't have the feel which I wanted. Conclusion.. What is right for me may not be right for you is what I am trying to say. I wish you much luck with this project.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Help create a concealed carry gun guide

Quote Originally Posted by ronlarimer View Post
    As evidenced by this forum, one of the biggest challenges to the new concealed carrier is selecting a pistol and I think we can help.

I would like to create a free concealed carry gun guide that answers many of the new carriers questions about what is the right gun for them by polling actual concealed carriers.

Once the results are in I will compile the specifications on the guns, the popularity, price, ratings, demographics and infer the relative importance of multiple attributes and develop a free downloadable report.

Concealed Carry Gun Guide | When the Balloon Goes Up!
    I went to filled it out but I am sure if there is an issue. This is right above the name area

Warning: sprintf() [function.sprintf]: Too few arguments in /hermes/bosoraweb038/b1378/ipw.ronlarim/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/surveys/wpframe.php on line 53

Go Seahawks!
    Last edited by Happypuppy; November 5th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I answered the survey but You may want to add questions like

What do I really expect from the gun?
    Am I willing to trade a smaller size for shootability?
    Is concealability most important.
    Will I carry the bigger gun? or will I look for opertunitys to put it in a desk drawer?
    Am I willing to put more time in to properly learn to shoot a smaller gun? Or will I be better off dressing around a bigger gun that is easier to shoot?

Your survey as is will show what others are carrying but not why they picked that gun. Good Luck DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    The gun was uncomfortable to me. It didn't have the feel which I wanted. Conclusion.. What is right for me may not be right for you is what I am trying to say. I wish you much luck with this project.
    Totally agree. I usually recommend a revolver for brand new shooters, particularly for women and young'ns. That is as far as I will go. There are so many small revolvers with different configurations that a person really and truly does have to find the one that not only fits his/her hand but is comfortable to shoot, recoil-wise. And then there are some people who do just fine right off the bat with a SA.

I know you mean well and it sounds like a good idea, but don't see how a manual can be really helpful in actually choosing a first gun, other than to steer people in a general direction - like a range that rents guns maybe?
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; November 5th, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
    SatCong likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Oh no you don't, pal....if I had to get a safe full of guns and a holster full of drawers, er, a drawer full of holsters before I found the right one then so does everyone else...

I see a gun I like and end up buying it. Quite a few times it's not a gun I like to shoot, or hold, etc. So then I go trade it for another gun I like the look of.... Then I see another gun I like and end up buying it.... you see a pattern developing?

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I have been asked this by a couple of my female friends who want to start learning and getting their permit.Personally,i give them suggestions as to what they may want to try before they buy.I've told them,i wouldn't ever tell anyone what they should or shouldn't buy,especially it involving a firearm.That's a decision only that person can make.I suggest to them to go to a range and rent one,or shoot a friends.If i can,i will let them shoot what i have,but don't buy a firearm simply because someone told you that's what you need.

VIP Member
    When you get right down to it guns are like shoes, no one style or size fits everyone you must try as many as you can until you find the one that fits.
    Eric357 and fredg53 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Sorry, but NO!

Every time I try to elaborate, I realize I am either being paranoid or rebellious about being encouraged to follow what the "pack" does, so I am not going to answer further.

Read
    Learn
    Research
    Decide on your own
    I took the survey for you but I do agree with this. People need to do their own research and find what works for them.

Just tell them all to get a GLOCK,,,, that is the answer I see most often on the "interwebz" (can't put it on the internet if it isn't true).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    Just tell them all to get a GLOCK,,,, that is the answer I see most often on the "interwebz" (can't put it on the internet if it isn't true).
    I know you were being funny, but when I first started shooting a Glock after having become "fairly" good with revolvers, it took me quite a while to stop having malfunctions due to limp wristing which is something that Glocks really do NOT like. Being a woman with very little strength in my hands, if I had started with a Glock I might have not become addicted to shooting. Now I know what my grip must be and my Glocks and I love each other.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

There are too many variables to recommend a carry gun for a person new to shooting. What size body do they have? How do they dress? Where do they work? Are there small children present?
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links