Colt New Agent Troubles

Colt New Agent Troubles

This is a discussion on Colt New Agent Troubles within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fairly new Colt New Agent in .45ACP. 500-600 rounds thru it. Tried a number of magazines (Colt, Wilson, Mc Cormick) and all but one is ...

Thread: Colt New Agent Troubles

Colt New Agent Troubles

Fairly new Colt New Agent in .45ACP. 500-600 rounds thru it. Tried a number of magazines (Colt, Wilson, Mc Cormick) and all but one is hard to put in and none will drop. Also, have seen stovepipes w/ oddly enough, unfired rounds w/ different magazines. Send it back to Colt for repair? Can a good gunsmith do the same? Know any good ones in the Tucson area?

Thanks!
    Dave Cook
    Attached Images

I'd let Colt fix it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Definetly let colt fix it

Concur; let Colt deal with it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    COLT here I come!!

Dave - Any update on your Colt repair?

TIA
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Colt Contact:

Contact
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Mag. problem.....return immediately.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Tried a number of magazines (Colt, Wilson, Mc Cormick) and all but one is hard to put in and none will drop.
    Change the mag release. It might be a MIM part, after all.

If you have another 1911 you can swap them in seconds. It could be as simple as the mag release spring needs replacing, or it's not seated correctly. Check it for wear, polish if necessary. (I can't see there not being wear marks if you're slamming them home and it doesn't go in smoothly. So just replace the mag catch spring to begin with.) Do the same for the mag catch lock (inspect it - is it bent?) If you do decide to replace the whole assembly (which can be a little expensive) you may want to consider one that is just slightly longer if you are having reach problems.

Magazine Releases-Wilson Combat
    EGW HD Higher Mag Catch: Evolution Gun Works Inc..

You might want to consider the EGW higher height mag release if you are getting failure to feed. And as always, check your extractor tension by inserting a spent shell with the slide off the sidearm. Also see if the ejector has too much play in it. Just try to wiggle it.

If you do decide to send it away to Colt it may be gone for 2 weeks to 6 months (probably 6 weeks is a good guess.) You could receive ordered parts (say the WC R15, R15A, R15B) in your hand in under a week. The Tucson gun show is Jan. 4/5 so they may have the part at a table for about $20. If you are willing to gamble on a possibly used part. And going to the show will cost $15 - $20 so ordering through the mail may be cheaper. Hopefully you will have gone to a previous show and know if there is one or two vendors that sell parts only, say recoil springs, slide stops, mag release, barrels, slides, etc. In my area only the Phoenix State Fair has the parts vendor whereas the Cardinal Stadium show or Mesa shows, and most of the smaller shows, do not. ymmv.

http://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/t...ow-crossroads/

Don't be afraid to talk to some of the vendors. They may have heard of your problem before and know the fix.

If that doesn't fix it - then chances are the mag is dragging on the trigger bows. You might as well send it in. But if you're thinking of replacing the trigger, say because it has a serrated face and you want a smooth face, or you want a shorter reach trigger, then now is the time to do it.

Take the grips off. If you installed thin grips and you're using thin grip bushings but retained the long stock screws then you should have gouge marks on the mags. With the grips off do the mags insert and drop out freely? If so, try one grip at a time: left only, right only, then left only. It could be the grips. While the grips are off feel the back of the grip bushings. If you feel anything - that's your problem. You might also want to feel the trigger bows while the grips are off but that may not be really possible as what you really need are thickness gauges, to see what sizes drag on either bow while the mag is inserted. If they are dragging then your trigger pull should feel really heavy.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/ShopOnline/t...New_Agent.aspx

You'll have to imagine the trigger bows from the middle of the back of trigger guard backwards to the sear spring and the mag riding between the bows. #43, #44.

Check your mags very closely. Where are the wear marks? They should be there somewhere, sides, front lip, back follower area, etc.

This is a Ruger SR1911 review but there are some good pictures and this memorable quote to give you one possibility: "The trigger has a long aluminum shoe with lightening holes. The trigger is well-fitted, with minimum clearance vertically and horizontally. The trigger bow is a little tight on the supplied magazines and may catch the magazine lips as a magazine is inserted."

And another:
    "The magazine catch, when firmly depressed, will “trap” the magazine and keep the magazine from dropping until some of the pressure on the catch button is released. It is a simple task to relieve the magazine catch inner surface; however, the catch should be “relieved” at manufacture. For those uncertain with a file, 10-8 Performance offers a pre-relieved catch."
    http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=366
    Last edited by 1911er; December 31st, 2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: changed schematic

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Is it possible, on an aluminum frame like the New Agent, that something has been bent or warped?
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Probably more likely that a lot of force was exerted on the trigger and it bent the bows. Or the mag front lip bent the bottom of the trigger bow, now making the trigger bows bent upwards. The trigger pull should definitely feel harsh and gritty if that's the case, though.

Wooden grips are seldom defective and they typically affect mag release safety tangs (like on my Star M45), but it isn't uncommon for someone to over torque the grip bushings and they cause mag drag. (I had one on my SIG Ultra - the fourth one was impossible to remove without destroying it. Dang you, Murphy! Yeah, I bought the correct grip bushing tool at one of my gun shows. No, you never, ever, want to strip the grip bushing threads on an aluminium frame! Just like you never want to polish an aluminium frame bullet ramp.)

I'd insert the mag after removing the slide (to remove the slide stop), remove the grips and use feeler gauges between the mag and trigger bow, moving it horizontally back and forth to see if I can detect drag.

Cook,

If you're tempted to take your sidearm to a gunsmith, first contact Colt and ask the if there are any Colt certified gunsmiths in your area and if any of them do warranty work. And if you go to the show you should be able to pick up the 1911 breakdown and repair Shop manual.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...rry-kuhnhausen

No, I am NOT advocating that you become a gun smith. Check the cover picture... See how the mag rides inside the trigger bows?

http://www.restigouchegunclub.com/Fi...Kuhnhausen.pdf
    Pages 30, 77, 102.

If it is a problem with the trigger bows you will have to send the Colt in for warranty service.

Is it possible, on an aluminum frame like the New Agent, that something has been bent or warped?
    If it has then the frame has to be replaced. $$$
    Last edited by 1911er; December 31st, 2013 at 01:13 AM.

What ever became of this?

Sponsored Links