Cz p-01

This is a discussion on Cz p-01 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here carry a CZ P-01 or have experience shooting it's fullsize big brother the SP-01? If so I'd like your 2. I'm looking for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cz p-01

Cz p-01

Anyone here carry a CZ P-01 or have experience shooting it's fullsize big brother the SP-01? If so I'd like your 2. I'm looking for a DA/SA compact handgun to carry when my P226 is too large for my attire. How does this conceal with a tight t-shirt, loose t-shirt, and polo? It will be carried IWB hip and take around 50% timeshare with my P226(Best carried under a jacket) and LCR 357(carried all other times) being my other carry guns. It will get lots of range time, so switching between triggers is not an issue but I've heard the CZ trigger isn't quite as smooth and short as the p226 SRT.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carried the P-01 or the P-06 (.40 version) for years. Both were easy to carry and extremely accurate. Finally sold the P-06 due to a wrist injury that made the .40 too painful to shoot. Continued carrying the P-01 daily, until I picked up the P-07. While the P-01 trigger will smooth out with shooting, I think the P-07 with the Omega trigger system much smoother right out of the box. I also like the fact that the P-07 allows you to choose between a safety or decocker. Mine came with both. Swapping takes about 5 minutes with only a small screw driver to accomplish it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Two-timer, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    Anyone here carry a CZ P-01 or have experience shooting it's fullsize big brother the SP-01? If so I'd like your 2. I'm looking for a DA/SA compact handgun to carry when my P226 is too large for my attire.
    The CZ P-01 is an exceptional sidearm, along with its cousin the D Compact PCR.

But if you're looking for a gun that's fairly concealable where a P226 isn't, then IMO it's the wrong gun to consider. It's still 7.2" long and 1.4" wide, with nearly a full-sized grip on it. It's a handful to conceal, if your wardrobe and body shape isn't amendable to larger guns. Seems clear to me that if you're having troubles concealing a P226 to your satisfaction, you'll very likely have similar woes attempting to conceal a P-01 any better.

I'd give serious consideration to your attire, your carry method and location, and what exactly it is that's in the way of effective concealment of larger guns on you. Is the butt-end of any gun failing to tuck in against your body due to "love handles"? Are the bulges showing through the pants? Is it just uncomfortably big, IWB? Are your shirts and other covering garments simply too tight, or of too lightweight a material to effectively conceal? Hard to know what's really going on, without further detail, pics, etc.

It will get lots of range time, so switching between triggers is not an issue but I've heard the CZ trigger isn't quite as smooth and short as the p226 SRT.
    I'd agree that the trigger isn't the smoothest in the world. Ain't bad, for all of that. And you can always have one of the CZ gurus breathe on it, with a trigger job. Can turn a somewhat average trigger into a pretty good one.
    miller_man likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    It will not be much smaller or light than your P226.

Do consider the PCR if you don't need the light/laser rail.

They can turn out to be wonderful:

Combat Handguns has a nice review of the PCR:
    http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/...r-compact-9mm/
    Best of luck with your eventual CZ purchase.

KEV

They make PCR slim grips, though, so it may help a little.

See also, Thin alum. carry grips for CZ P-01/PCR/75B compact

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Not that I'd talk anyone out of buying a P-01 if they really wanted one:)

Just that the PCR lighter and has a service record with both military/police
    and also ccw holders that rivals the P-01.

Both are outstanding pistols.

Ex Member
    The P-01 is without a doubt the most reliable and accurate handgun I have ever fired. First mag I shot 14 rounds, ran the target back, and looked to it in awe. In 40+ years of shooting I had never shoot a group that good.

+1 on the PCR. It's a great carry gun, only made better by thin grips. I really like my VZ grips, but there are options in coco and aluminum that are nice as well.

The SP-01 is a great gun as well, but I wouldn't want to conceal it. Mine is running a CZ custom shop competition hammer and polish job that eliminates the initial roughness you get from many CZ triggers out of the box (at least until you have a few thousand rounds through them...).

CZ_PCR_VZGRIPS.jpg

Antone know the width in the grip of the PCR with the thin grips? Also, frame a slide width would be awesome! Additionally, the article that one of the other posters linked states the weight as 27.4 ounces. Does anyone know if that is loaded or unloaded weight?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Antone know the width in the grip of the PCR with the thin grips? Also, frame a slide width would be awesome! Additionally, the article that one of the other posters linked states the weight as 27.4 ounces. Does anyone know if that is loaded or unloaded weight?
    The 27oz is the unloaded weight.

Best out of the box I ever bought in 40 years of shooting.image.jpg
    1 old 0311 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The 27oz is the unloaded weight.
    Bah, I was REALLY excited for a second lol
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

With a decent holster and belt, it's not so bad. It is a full-sized gun, at least by today's standards, despite CZ's insistence on calling it a "compact." Of course, a 27oz gun + 3 3oz loaded mags + a flashlight + whatever other gear can get a bit heavy, sure. Then again, that's not that much heavier than saving only ~8oz by going to any one of the other full-sized plastic wonders. Noticeable but not earth shattering, IMO. I wouldn't let the weight stop you. The P-01 and PCR are both amazing guns. Well worth overlooking a point or two, to get the extreme reliability, durability, simplicity, ergonomics, capacity, ...
    1 old 0311 and miller_man like this.

Ex Member

If you are in the Indy area send me a P.M.. I shoot once a week and would be glad to meet so you could shoot one of mine.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You might want to reconsider that offer. You dealing with Rollo The Destroyer.
    Rollo and miller_man like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links