TFO or Big Dot

TFO or Big Dot

This is a discussion on TFO or Big Dot within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Planning on putting new sights on my carry piece. I'm narrowed down my choices to either TruGlo TFO's or XS Big Dot's. The TFO's have ...

View Poll Results: TruGlo TFO or XS Big Dot

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • TFO's

6 27.27%
  • Big Dot's

16 72.73%
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By Simonsay
  • 2 Post By Chorizo

Thread: TFO or Big Dot

TFO or Big Dot

Planning on putting new sights on my carry piece. I'm narrowed down my choices to either TruGlo TFO's or XS Big Dot's.

The TFO's have the cool factor, seem to be very bright in the dark, and the FO would I'm sure be a bonus during the day or at the Range. The Big Dot's have the practical application. I wear glasses(nearsighted) and trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open which is harder than it probably should be considering I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I think these two choices will be best for my purposes, I'm just torn as to which one to choose.

Was wondering what others thought of them. Especially those who have experience with both.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Of the choices you have listed, I voted for the Big Dot. Excellent sight for a defensive pistol and very rugged. I ran some on a Glock 27 for a while and found them to work very well. My eye could locate the front sight surprisingly quick and with a little practice they were accurate. The reason I stopped shooting them was my duty pistol used 3 dot Trijicon's and I felt like I'd better stay with a similar sighting system.

My only concern with the TFO's is running a fiber optic sight on a defensive gun. IMO, you would be better off with a tritium sight. Having said that I don't have experience with the TFO's and I use a fiber optic sight on my compound bow. Knock on wood, I have yet to break a fiber and I have been running this particular sight for about 6 years. The TFO's may be engineered in a way that protects the fiber optics but I'm not sure.

You might also consider the AmeriGlo Pro I-Dot's and the Trijicon HD's. I have a friend that runs the Ameriglo's on a M&P 40c and they work very well. My brother in law runs the Trijicon HD's on his Glock 27 and they work very well too. I understand you didn't ask for other choices but just throwing my 2 cents worth in. Good luck!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Senior Moderator
    I like Big Dots and I cannot lie
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Another plus fort he big dots the giant white dot catches your eye in daylight and the overall design is both instinctual an effective. They do require practice though. The eye wants to settle the dot touching the v of the rear sight but that is not how they work. This is why many complain of them shooting low, but it is operator error. I have 24/7 big dots on my ruger sr40 c and at 15 yds it is put for on target pull trigger. Past that you use the top edge of the sight. At close range the rear sight is not really needed with practice. In the dark the 24/7 really shines as a low light sight.

They do take a some getting used to but the time spent is well worth it. Keep in mind the big dots are combat sights and not target sights. If you want bullseye groups these are not the sights for it. If you want effective combat sights capable minute of bad guy accuracy with fast sight picture then they are great. As a side note, with practice you can shoot some very impressive groups with them. I like to let others shoot them and complain about group then put 8 rounds in a 3 inch circle.....

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    pgrass101 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

10 yds with my ruger sr40c and 24/7 big dots. This was firedwithout taking a lot if time, literally get a sight picture and pull trigger.

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I don't think I can be of much help here but I have used the big dots. I've cut and pasted some of my thoughts from other threads/sites.

I tried the XS sights for a while because they came on a gun I traded for. I found them useful at distances where sights aren't needed, not much else.

I prefer sights
    ... with traditional post/notch, no shallow v express or ghost trickery bs. A front post that has "plenty of light" around it to me is critical. Width from .090 to .125, I don't care as long as the rear notch is wide enough for adequate light around the post. Plain, fiber optic, or tritium, I don't care. Rear sight plain with no distractions.
    Taurahe likes this.
    TY54712

VIP Member
    Big Dot = place dot, insert bullet. Just that simple.

If you are precision shooting or offensive shooting like a room clearing ninja, see above. If you are defensive fighting for your life, see Big Dot.
    Taurahe and Dangerfield like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links