Looking for advice on a .45 ACP SA/DA CCW

This is a discussion on Looking for advice on a .45 ACP SA/DA CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a lefty looking to add .45 to my CCW rotation (I currently swap between a G26 and a SP101 3" in .357) and I've ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Looking for advice on a .45 ACP SA/DA CCW

I'm a lefty looking to add .45 to my CCW rotation (I currently swap between a G26 and a SP101 3" in .357) and I've found that my comfort level for carry with a round chambered is better with a DA pistol. I know a 1911 has multiple safeties, but I'm not comfortable with the reliability of a compact 1911 out of the box within my price range with ambi-thumb safeties and I don't want to modify a carry pistol for legal reasons.

I've been dismissing Sigs because their decocker is righty only, but as I think about it, I shouldn't need to actuate a decocker in the heat of the moment, so I'm leaning more towards looking at Sigs now. I've looked at their P220 Carry...but am concerned that the height may be tough to conceal. I've also heard good things about CZ and FNH.

Let me list what I'm looking for and ask for recommendations from you guys about what pistol platforms to look at.

I'd like:
    -Concealability (7-8" length / 1-1.5" width / 4-5" height / 20-30 oz weight)
    -Reliability with all ammo weights/types as best as is possible (as I said earlier I have a G26 and SP101...I know they will go bang everytime)
    -Safety (I want to carry it hammer-down DA so I'd like a striker block to prevent drop fires)
    -Decocker
    -Affordability Ideally less than $800-900
    -as Lefty friendly as possible would be nice but I think it's not paramount in a SA/DA pistol.

I'm open to suggestions of variations from my list from those of you with experience and I appreciate your help in advance!

Thanks.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I carry a sig P-220 in a Galco Royal Guard i really recommend that holster it's the most comfortable holster I own. I also carry a CZ-75 Pre b all steel version also in the same Royal Guard holster it fits perfectly

Sig P-220 made in West Germany 1984.
    Sig P-220 Left.jpg

Can cut the heart out of a target at 33 feet (10 meters).
    target laser zero P220 resized.jpg

I noticed you were discussing .45's, I have no experience with CZ 45's only 9mm.
    Last edited by donp326; November 6th, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
    NH_Esau, gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

VIP Member
    Extremely reliable guns. Great DA/SA trigger pulls. Weight, fully loaded, is less than an 1911 Officers Model, fully loaded. While it doesn't carry the "brand name" it also doesn't carry the brand name price. Uses the same holsters as the CZ 75 C so you don't have to search high and wide for a good holster.

EAA Witness Compact 45ACP Steel-Wonder, 8rd $442.00 SHIPS FREE
    Kilowatt3 and gatorbait51 like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Since you already seem to like Glocks, have you tried out the 30/SF/S and 36?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I think if you like the G26 you might very well love the G36. The G36 is a single stack .45 (6+1) so it easily falls under your size requirement.

The P220 is also an excellent choice. I am also a lefty and the de-cocker is easily actuated with the trigger finger. It is a bit of work to carry the full-sized but the Carry is a good bit easier if you are concerned with that.
    revldm, gatorbait51 and RETSUPT99 like this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I have the G26 and have looked at the G30s as an alternative, but I carry the G26 with an empty chamber. Right now, that is my comfort level. I like everything I've heard about the G30s but would feel more comfortable with a DA/SA. I've looked at a S&W M&P 45c with a thumb safety, but I feel I'd be constantly checking to make sure the thumb safety hasn't been deactivated through normal carrying.

For some reason I can carry the SP101 without a second thought about the loaded chamber, but a striker-fired pistol keeps me nervous. I think I'd be more comfortable with a DA/SA loaded on my hip and also knowing I have the option to cock the hammer for a SA first shot if time affords it. It must be a mental thing of being able to physically see the hammer down.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I've been dismissing Sigs because their decocker is righty only, but as I think about it, I shouldn't need to actuate a decocker in the heat of the moment.
    I thought a de-cocker is only employed when holstering the weapon...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hard to beat a Sig. As for CZ, the only thing offered in .45 ACP is the 97B and 97BD. I looked at them when I was looking for a .45, but due to the 10 round double stack magazine, they are rather bulky and unless you have large hands, not very comfortable to hold.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    SIG-Sauer P245, P220, HK USP45C, USP45.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

a diamond in the rough.... Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro. 7+1, DA/SA (great trigger), safety-decocker, 3.8" polygonal rifled barrel, 27 oz unloaded......around $425. Shoots as accurately as my Glock 30SF.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Wonderneun- I looked at Sig's site earlier and couldn't find a 245. Do they still make them?

Zonker- That Bersa looks like a nice solution! You say it shoots accurately...how is it for reliability and does it handle recoil well?

Thanks in advance!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I second the betas .... Good guns good price and it meets your needs ..... As for carrying on an empty chamber , well leave that for another discussion

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I was making the same search, and finally went with a Glock 30SF. the 30S is super-hard to find these days, and I found a very nice deal on the 30SF... the only difference being that the slide on the 30SF is a fraction of an inch wider than that of the 30S. Turned out to make a difference... the 30SF will not fit in the holsters I had for my 19 and the 22, which were wonderfully interchangeable. It does work in the Sticky pocket holster I occasionally use for my G19, but the G30 feels like I've got a brick in my pocket. Have tried the 30SF the last few excursions in a belly band, and that wears and conceals very well. But, it shoots very nicely, and that will let it earn its keep ;-)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Im a big believer in getting the best you can for your money. And to me, that says "GLOCK" hands down. Which model is your business, but they work, and compared to 1911s that you can maybe get to work "someday", after the proper mods, of course, they are pretty sweet.
    cltyus1 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    Wonderneun- I looked at Sig's site earlier and couldn't find a 245. Do they still make them?
    I think it is out of production and has been replaced by the P220 'Carry' or P220 Compact. There are a lot still available on various gun selling sites.

As an aside, you can get the H&K models in a lefty version, or buy a righty version and the parts to convert it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links