My Current Carry Gun - CZ-83 .380acp

This is a discussion on My Current Carry Gun - CZ-83 .380acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, Exciting forum here! This is my current carry gun, the CZ-83 civilian model in .380acp (that's 9 Browning Court to those of you ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 4 Post By NRA1945
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 3 Post By clarkston_cz
  • 1 Post By rwponline
  • 1 Post By NRA1945
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 3 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By 1911er
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By 1911er

Thread: My Current Carry Gun - CZ-83 .380acp

Hello All, Exciting forum here!

This is my current carry gun, the CZ-83 civilian model in .380acp (that's 9 Browning Court to those of you of European persuasion). Sadly, these were recently discontinued so when I found one NIB on Gunbroker.com for a decent price I jumped on it. I started taking an interest in CZ in general, and wanted a more substantial, reliable and higher quality pistol in .380acp then the el-cheapo little pocket polymer wonders that I've owned. My CZ-83 came with a nice hard plastic case, two mags, cleaning accessories, etc. as well as some interesting paperwork on how it performed at the range before leaving the factory.

The CZ-83 is an external hammer fired, all steel DA/SA pistol with 12+1 capacity in .380acp. It has no de-cocker, so the hammer must be lowered manually and carefully onto a live round (this takes practice). It has no safety in DA mode, but it does have an ambidextrous safety in SA mode so that it can be carried "cocked and locked" like a 1911 if the user wishes. There is no loaded chamber indicator, trigger lock or other nonsense that you don't want in a carry gun. My particular model does come with three-dot glow in the dark sights (Tritium?) but they are so faint as to be nearly useless in the dark. Otherwise, the sights are good enough for a pistol of this type in my opinion. It has an ambidextrous mag release, but unless you have an exceptionally long and lanky thumb, you need to train yourself to drop the mag with your index finger, which is just as easy once you get used to it.

It is a fixed barrel, European "Blowback" design which is supposedly more reliable for it's type and so far I can't disagree. I've shot several different brands of hollow point ammo as well as some RN FMJ out of the box and it has yet to malfunction on me. I'll admit that I haven't shot enough number of rounds through it yet for a definitive answer in terms of reliability, but it's already shot more rounds then the above mentioned el-cheapo little polymer pistols I've had before they malfunctioned on me! Take down and cleaning is about as simple as can be with this design. Just pull the trigger guard out until it clicks then with the hammer cocked pull back and lift up the slide and that's it. The massive spring on the barrel is the only other part that needs to be removed.

The CZ-83 being all steel is a bit heavy, but not so much that it impedes concealed carry. It is certainly not a pocket pistol, although it conceals well IWB. I've been carrying mine now for several months and I now feel more uncomfortable without it then with it! Sure, there are 9mm's now in this size that are lighter then this, but if your recoil sensitive and like being able to hit what your aiming at it's hard to beat a pistol of this size and weight in .380acp. It shoots like a dream! I can consistently keep all my shots within a six inch circle at 21 feet, something I couldn't do with the little polymer pistols, of which shooting them was akin to holding a monkey in your arms that was having a seizure. Also, the grip is about as solid and comfortable as I could want on a gun this size. It is a fat, full sized grip on an otherwise compact pistol.

Speaking of grips, my gun is wearing custom Black/Maple wood grips by Dennis Marschal out of Hungary. I highly recommend his work if you have one of these and are in the market to replace your factory plastic grips.

DSC00102.JPGDSC00100.JPG
    Last edited by NRA1945; November 8th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.

That's a fine looking weapon and an informative post on it as well. I've heard nothing but great things about CZ's and I really like the way they look. I can definitely see one in my future.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I carried one for a couple years, mostly in the hottest of summer, along with a Nickel 9mm MAK 82.

The 82/83 is really a great design and some people have asked why it's not a 9mm?

Well, shoot a blow-back 82 in 9 MAK, and you will find it's quite peppy in recoil.

still, the guns are still used by the ACR (ARMY Czech Rep.) and others like Slovenia.

I've encountered them overseas and have always thought well of them, mostly in 9 MAK versions
    though. (I find them to be much better than any Makarov, but some would disagree)

One exception being in S.. Africa where a Farmer used his CZ83 to good effect against 3 bad guys.

Shot placement is really King with .380 but you can shoot very well and very fast with the 82/83sup close and
    personal.

I've demonstrated this one the range, and actually had a brush with
    something spooky or so it was at the time.

I had t go to the storage lot and sleep when we had to much company.
    A 40 ft 5th whell was very comfy and so my .380 with 2 mags full of
    XTP and my dog went along as well.

About 3 am, my dog began barking,,I looked out the window but couldn't see much of
    anything.

then we heard vehicles down the road a bit.

I opened the door and observed blue lights.

I then Said to my dog.. OK, and we went back inside and to sleep.

the next day the neighbor told me that they had apprehended
    an escape convict that had fled to this area, and was arrested right down the
    road in the early morning.

That's life in a prison town!

12 rounds in your hand, .380 or not isn't anything to sneeze at.

The triggers are so good that virtually no one requests an action job.

I'd take a Nik .380 or polycoat .380 and add Nites and a couple mags stuffed with
    Hornady JHP or FTX ( what I carry in my LCP) and feel very confident.

I have seen a few dura coated CZ83s in dark gray that would be nice as well.

As for your grips. Dennis does great work over there, as does Hakan in Norway.

Super nice, thanks for sharing!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Hey clarkston_cz,

Thanks for the colorful post! As a civilian, I don't have any qualms about carrying a full sized .380acp pistol like this as long as I'm carrying either Hardcast, RN or FN FMJ, which can achieve 17" to 20" of penetration in sim tests, well over the FBI minimum (12") but not exceeding the maximum (20"). I've also seen these penetrate completely through modern car doors. Good enough for me. With good shot placement, it can get the job done.

I'm not too impressed by the performance of the various .380 JHP's I've seen though. I wouldn't use them unless it was T-shirt and shorts weather or if I lived in a populated apartment complex with thin walls, and even then I might still go with the FMJ!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OP, nice writeup. That's a really nice looking pistol.
    And I got a chuckle out of the monkey.
    A good way to start the day.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I have the CZ82 in 9 Makarov. She's heavy but then she's all steel with a double stack magazine, so that's to be expected. I'm a big CZ fan. Currently have a P-01, P-07, Satin nickel Compact, RAMI 9, my 82 and a Dan Wesson (owned by CZ) 1911 CBOB. At one point also had the P-06 and RAMI .40. For reliability, ergonomic and value, it's hard to match or beat CZ.

As to your sights, the 83 like most CZ use a luminous painted sight. It needs to be recharged by light to shine and quickly fades out. The P-06 is the only model I'm aware of that comes factory standard with Tritium sights, which will add about $100. to the price of the gun.

You'll find there are quite a few of us here that are big CZ fans.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That's a beautiful sidearm. CZ does so many things right.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have the 9mm Mak CZ-82 also, and it's digested every round I've put thru it, commercial or reload. It was actually a project gun to keep me busy, but turned out to be one of my favorite shooters. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for SD if the need arose.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have the CZ 82 in 9 Mak and for sights I have put on Big Dot...yes Big Dots! The CZ 75 sights work perfectly. I carry Buffalo Bore Hard Cast 115 grain bullets +P loads in it.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=220

Grips: GRIPS4u.net

Great little gun, easy to carry in a crossbreed holster and a reliable shooter.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Congrats on your find. That is one pristine looking CZ83 (well, it should be, seeing as it is an NIB.)

I've been looking for a very good to excellent grade CZ82 at the local shows. They are very hard to find. What is usually up for sale are very worn pieces hardly worth the $300, on average, that they're asking for. I won't even look at a Mak because it has a slide mounted safety.

You could install night sights on it as well as a HiViz front fibre optic sight. Your front sight is pinned so that's easy enough, but if you decide to change out the rear sights it's probably best to have a gun smith squeeze them out since they are supposedly very tight.

Again, congrats. Thanks for sharing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Get on Allan's mailing list. He periodically comes up with some real nice CZ 82/83 in both 9mm mak and .380 ACP a very agreeable prices. Very good guy to do business with also.

http://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Thanks for the tip. We have JGSales up in Prescott but the quality they get isn't always the best. That left Sarco as another possible source.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Wideners has 82s for $279 + shipping
    SOG has 82s and 83s for about the same.
    CAI even cheaper.

I got my 82 from J&G months ago when they had some. It is great--just a little holster wear.

Handsome little pistol
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Links