CZ Handgun Questions.........

CZ Handgun Questions.........

This is a discussion on CZ Handgun Questions......... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at these handguns for a little while now, i have 2 questions im hoping someone in this thread can answer lol. 1. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Easy8
  • 2 Post By croony
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By 1911er

Thread: CZ Handgun Questions.........

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar

Question CZ Handgun Questions.........

I've been looking at these handguns for a little while now, i have 2 questions im hoping someone in this thread can answer lol.

1. Will the CZ handguns take after market night sights, like say XS Big Dots ect...?

2.Im a lefty, Do any of them have ambi mag release?

Thanks in advance.

VIP Member
    Night sights are a bit difficult to find. The best bet is to check the web site of the brand you are interested in. Some will have comparability and some won't. CZ does sell their own and they are pretty good, if a bit pricey.

If you are looking at the classic line, the CZ 85b is the ambidextrous version of the CZ 75b.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    The XS sights will depend on the model you purchase. The 75/85 full size and 75 Compact models use the same sights. XS does list for sights for the 75/85B as well as the 97.

The 85B is the only model I'm aware of that is fully ambidextrous.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher67 View Post
    2.Im a lefty, Do any of them have ambi mag release?
    I'm a lefty, as well. Have had zero problems manipulating the CZ P-01 or 2075 RAMI BD controls. The slide stop/release lever is large and easy to reach, as is the decocker lever. Both can easily be manipulated with the left hand. And, if your fingers are long enough, you can easily reach them when shooting with your right hand.

I'm easily able to lever the slide release via my left hand's forefinger or middle finger, the decocker via either thumb. They're that large and easy to reach. As with most lefties and left-side mounted magazine release buttons, for example, using your fingers on such controls isn't anything new. Shouldn't be hard to get it right after a few minutes, if you've shot righty pistols lefty for any length of time.

IMO, don't dismiss the P-01 or 2075 RAMI BD out of hand simply because neither has ambidextrous controls. It should be necessary, unless you've got fairly small hands/fingers ... at which point the platform won't be suitable for you anyway on that basis alone.

If ambi controls are truly important to you, then you might consider the H&K P2000 or P2000SK guns. They're every bit the equivalent to the CZ's in terms of reliability, and the fully ambidextrous controls are similarly extremely large and easy to manipulate.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You will not be sorry if you go CZ. I have been shooting over 30 years an have never found a better weapon out of the box. I have the CZ 75 P 01 an its awesome, the Duty is also a great weapon, easily concealable in my kramer IWB. CZ's have replaced my Glocks the glocks shot great but the CZ's just feel better I get much tighter groups an they do not bounce brass off my head. Nothing wrong with Glocks shot them since the 80's the CZ's just feel better an shoot better for me.
    virg and Christopher67 like this.

You will not find a better firearm out of the box. I carry the CZ p07 duty love it. Sights are hard to come by but can be found. Mag release on mine is for righties only but with practice i'm sure you can do it. Trigger pull on it is amazing best you will find out the box

Semper Fi and Be Safe
    virg and ccw9mm like this.

The cz 85 is the same as a cz 75, but it is ambidextrous for you weird handed folk lol. I too have been looking at a cz for some time. I will be shopping for a full size 9mm eventually and I really like the thought of eithe a CZ 75 SP-01, or the CZ 75 B SA...... choices choices choices.
    God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I am really liking the CZ line and what I hear about them. Unfortunately I'm in the market for a CCW .45 and I don't see a viable option for that size-wise in the CZ line.

Though I do have one question...the CZ75 Compact has a manual safety but state that it can be manually decocked for DA/SA carry...dumb question...the use of the term "manually" makes me think that the safety is not a decocker as well...so can it be manually decocked with the safety on? I'd hate to have to manually lower the hammer on a live round with no safety on.

As far as the lefty stuff goes...being a lefty myself..I think the RAMI and the P-01 would both be excellent lefty CCW's (the CZ75 too pending the answer to my question above). For me...the only ambidextrous controls I would insist on having would be an ambi manual safety if the pistol had a manual safety to begin with. Mag releases, slide releases/locks, and decockers should be fine as righty only options as they won't need to be actuated in the heat of the moment. I also believe that lefties should train using righty controls and slingshot racking only as this would allow us to be ready to use most pistols in theheat of the moment.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I am really liking the CZ line and what I hear about them. Unfortunately I'm in the market for a CCW .45 and I don't see a viable option for that size-wise in the CZ line.

Though I do have one question...the CZ75 Compact has a manual safety but state that it can be manually decocked for DA/SA carry...dumb question...the use of the term "manually" makes me think that the safety is not a decocker as well...so can it be manually decocked with the safety on? I'd hate to have to manually lower the hammer on a live round with no safety on.

As far as the lefty stuff goes...being a lefty myself..I think the RAMI and the P-01 would both be excellent lefty CCW's (the CZ75 too pending the answer to my question above). For me...the only ambidextrous controls I would insist on having would be an ambi manual safety if the pistol had a manual safety to begin with. Mag releases, slide releases/locks, and decockers should be fine as righty only options as they won't need to be actuated in the heat of the moment. I also believe that lefties should train using righty controls and slingshot racking only as this would allow us to be ready to use most pistols in theheat of the moment.
    It is a bit unusual but that is completely correct. Personally, I have no problem with cocked and locked so I don't worry about it. I think of it more as a second strike capability.

If you prefer a more traditional DA/SA you will want to stick to models with the "BD" designation, which is the de-cocker models.
    gasmitty likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Do any of them have ambi mag release?
    If you look at the right side of the pistol, if it's shape is the same as the left side of the pistol, then the mag release can be swapped. Otherwise just get an 85 (instead of upgrading the CZ75).

CZ D Style Magazine Release
    CZ Factory Safeties
    Christopher67 likes this.

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    Awesome, thanks for all the replies everyone.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies everyone.
    You're gonna love it, whichever of the CZ models you end up with. They are uniformly good, known for extreme reliability and durability.

Be sure to keep a basic log of how the first few hundred rounds go, and then come back to post a "range report" or something similar that details your initial experiences of having your eyes opened to the CZ's.

Enjoy!

BTW, their rifles are pretty great, as well. The 550 Safari line, the 527 and the 455 are all nice guns.

Caution, too, if you ever get a Scorpion or Bren model. Beware falling off your bench laughing, as I'm sure you'll find yourself in disbelief that anything could be so fun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    My RAMI and my CZ82 both carry Big Dots. The CZ75 big dots work on both
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I am really liking the CZ line and what I hear about them. Unfortunately I'm in the market for a CCW .45 and I don't see a viable option for that size-wise in the CZ line
    CZ Clone. Tanfoglio makes good solid guns at decent prices. I have a couple and shoot the "urine" out of them without issues.

EAA Witness Compact 45ACP Steel-Wonder, 8rd $450.00 SHIPS FREE
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links