New Glock??

New Glock??

This is a discussion on New Glock?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been going back and forth on either a G19 or G26 gen4. Got a call from the guy at my LGS and went ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New Glock??

New Glock??

I have been going back and forth on either a G19 or G26 gen4. Got a call from the guy at my LGS and went down to talk to him about ordering one. I have heard of a few problems with the Gen4's, but im not really worried about it. He then asked me where did I want to order it from? Smyrna GA or Austria? Where would you order from and why? Dose it make a difference?
    Thanks,
    TC

Administrator
    I never knew you had an option... I'm guessing he's blowing smoke
    Christopher67 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I've never had any dealer give me an option either,so far as where i want it to come from.

VIP Member
    Okay, I'm going way out on a limb here... Mine are all older Austrian Gen3's with the traditional tenifer finish.

I've read that they modified the formula for the finish to be compliant with EPA regs here in the US. That's the only possible difference that I can come up with between Smyrna and Austrian models. As to whether he can special order them, or if he just happens to have both types in stock, who cares?

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I can't help but think that GA is some sort of warehouse. Really like my Glock 26 & its a little eaiser to conceal than a 19 but in any case you have a tough choice both pistols are great CCW.

Good Luck!

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Austria.

Tell him that you want one of those old 'left-over' Gen-3 model G-26's...
    Now that the newer and better () Gen-4's are out, you'll take one of the older models off of his hands to help him get rid of all that old stock...at a reduced price, of course.

Both the Glock 19 & 26 are great guns...you can conceal both, but the '26' will hide in your clothes very nicely.OMOYMV

It's been a couple of years since my Glock Armorer class, but I believe that Glocks are still made in Austria and assembled in Georgia...some parts of the Glock may now be made in Georgia. There are a lot of forums that discuss just such an issue...'search' and make an informed decision.

IMHO, I don't believe that you can buy a Glock pistol completely made in the U.S., and I don't believe that asking a customer if he/she wants a U.S. made or Austrian made Glock means much...same gun, same parts, same manufacturing skills, there were some coating finish questions, but I believe that even that has been modified.

Note: I am always prepared to be updated and educated on such matters.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All he wanted to know was whether you want a Glock made in the USA or a Glock made in Austria. Yes, you have the option.
    Be advised that all Glocks made in the US have a "gas nitride" finished slide vs the "tennifer" slide made in Austria. The tennifer is a proven finish, so I would go with Austria.
    No clue what a gas nitride finish is or how it will wear.
    StormRhydr and Christopher67 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have a gen 2 g22 made in Austria and a gen3 26 made in Ga. The finish does seem a little different but I can't say either way if it's better or worse. The g22 is 22 years old though

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    All he wanted to know was whether you want a Glock made in the USA or a Glock made in Austria. Yes, you have the option.
    Be advised that all Glocks made in the US have a "gas nitride" finished slide vs the "tennifer" slide made in Austria. The tennifer is a proven finish, so I would go with Austria.
    No clue what a gas nitride finish is or how it will wear.
    This.

The above covers it get the Austrian one while you can . Also I am pretty sure the USA made ones are still only for export ( I know when they are short on stock a few USA will enter the market but it is not common) never heard of a choice of what marked ones ...heck maybe he try to sell you a 380 glock next

And gen 4 have had problems with springs but that should be fixed. Personal I am going to stick with gen 3 unless I was getting a 40cal the gen 4 are smoth . As for the gun well the 26 is smaller an can take any mag so you can put a 10-12 round 26 mag in it or a 15 round 19 or 17 round 17 mag in it .

I know most people go with 19 though as they are basically a grip cut 17 in many ways so a smudge more controllable etc.

That said I don't know what you look like how you carry and what form of carry is ok it looks like GA so you should be ok with either owb or iwb and problem with showing if it happens getting use to it . The 26 is great as a deep hide gun even pocket carry as the grip is smaller but the 19 is still very good.

Have you shoot either of them ? I would say start with a 19 as you could use that easy as HD/car gun etc they are the true middle ground gun. But if you are looking for a gun you can just thrown in your pocket the 26 is the way to go.

Also I personal put a extended slide and take down levers on my guns and nights sights seems to help a lot . That and bevertails . And the 26 guns do benefit from heavier spring/rods .. Talon grips be nice too.

What Zonker said. Plus, the "Smyrna" Glocks have "USA" stamped on the slide, in place of "Austria."
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member since last week.

VIP Member
    I don't understand anything about the technical difference in finishes, but I would think about the idea of helping to provide a job for one of my fellow countrymen by purchasing the one made in Georgia.

Just an idea.
    grouse likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Lol. Nope. Its where they are made, and its stamped on the weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I can't help but think that GA is some sort of warehouse. Really like my Glock 26 & its a little eaiser to conceal than a 19 but in any case you have a tough choice both pistols are great CCW.

Good Luck!
    Christopher67 likes this.

There are made in the USA Glocks now. We had a few 19's on the shelf the last few times I worked. I looked them over pretty heavily and could not find anything of note different. Mainly just the USA stamped in the slide.
    Glock 19, Glock 27, Glock 30, Mossberg 500, Ruger 10/22, Savage Hog Hunter, Kahr CM9, Beretta M9

More to follow... Its an addiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links