Need advice on choosing a revolver for pocket carry

This is a discussion on Need advice on choosing a revolver for pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone! I am looking to get some advice on picking up a revolver that is comfortable for pocket carry. My current carry guns are ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Need advice on choosing a revolver for pocket carry

Need advice on choosing a revolver for pocket carry

Hey everyone!

I am looking to get some advice on picking up a revolver that is comfortable for pocket carry.

My current carry guns are a Springfield XDs .45 (IWB) and a Masterpiece Arms Protector II .380 (back pocket)

I am sending my XDs in for recall repair, and I have been thinking about retiring the MPA from carry duty anyway since I am not 100% confident in the MPA or my ability to shoot it.

However I find myself pocket carrying more often than IWB because it's comfortable and easy to do.

I want something with a little more power than a .380, and after spending hours and hours researching "Pocket 9's" I have come to the conclusion that these are a myth. They either aren't small enough for true comfortable pocket carry, or if they are small enough, this causes them to be unreliable.

This leads me to a revolver, I think. I have never had a revolver before though. Are there any that are small enough to be truly comfortable for pocket carry?

In my limited research so far, the S&W 638 Airweight looks like a good option. Am I on the right track?
    camsdaddy, stylus, SWIll and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    SP101. I've seen several reports of those light S&Ws cracking.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.
    gatorbait51 and Kennydale like this.

Administrator
    Any of the S&W air weight jFrames are a great option. The gold standard for a pocket gun in the 642/442.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Great, thanks. I was just looking at those as well. I'm going to stop by the LGS this afternoon and see if they have one to handle.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Agree with S&W 442/642. No exposed hammer. Check out a Mika pocket holster. Add a speed strip or two and you are good to go.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I carry a Taurus Model 85 stainless (circa 1987) (GASP,,,, not a Taurus,,,, they're trash!!!! My uncle's cousins sisters brother in law had one and it was terrible) in front or year pocket sometimes. It is a little heavy but doesn't bother me that much.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Ruger makes great revolvers. Of course, you can't go wrong with S&W, or Colt if you want to pay the higher prices. I have a Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel, and it's very accurate. The replacement for the Security Six is the SP101.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

image.jpg 642 is great for pocket carry, accurate at sd distances can carry a potent rd I use 158 gr Short barrel low flash buffalo bore

Is the 442/642 smaller than the Ruger LCR?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Ruger LCR 38sp+P, or LCR 357mag.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I ran 100+ rounds through my step Moms LCR 38sp+P. I was really impressed. It is super light (13 oz), nice smooth trigger, good shooter. It comes with a nice Hogue grip. If you are in the market for a pocket gun, you can't go wrong with a LCR.

642 or 442.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The 642/442 is slightly smaller than the LCR. I think the trigger guard design makes the LCR harder to pocket. That said I carry a S&W 60 when I choose to pocket carry
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I carry the 442 and the LCR357 in my pants pockets. The 442 is a little smaller in the grip area. If you have no interest in shooting 357 Mag, I would get the 442.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    We had a S&W 442 and the current owner is able to pocket carry it in his slacks. My husband was unable to successfully pocket carry it in his jeans (6', 245ish lbs). He could get it in there, but it took a lot of shimmying to get it in/out, which made it useless for fast acquisition. So if you fill your jeans out, it might be difficult.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links