Bowie Tactical Glock 17 "Short Grip" & RMR

This is a discussion on Bowie Tactical Glock 17 "Short Grip" & RMR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got this back from Bowie in October. Base gun is a police trade in Gen G17. Grip has been chopped to 19 size, re textured ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bowie Tactical Glock 17 "Short Grip" & RMR

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Got this back from Bowie in October. Base gun is a police trade in Gen G17. Grip has been chopped to 19 size, re textured and trigger guard under cut. Replaced all springs etc and performed a nice trigger job to remove most of the Glock "bounce" in the trigger. Slide re coated in cerakote and is now wearing a Trijicon RMR, 6.5MOA DOT w/ adjustable LED. This thing is ONE NICE BLASTER!

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Very nice. I am a fan of the suppressor sights in front of the RDS, seems like a good idea to me to protect the glass from debris and shell casings from the port. I understand that some like the rear sight behind the RDS to aid in aiming/less adjustment to a new sighting method.

Doesn't Bowie engrave the rear of the RMR base to aid in finding the dot?

very cool gun, there JD. I feel so completely......stock. I've been looking to do something with mine that I also got
    as a police trade in 15 years ago.

JD likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Very nice. I am a fan of the suppressor sights in front of the RDS, seems like a good idea to me to protect the glass from debris and shell casings from the port. I understand that some like the rear sight behind the RDS to aid in aiming/less adjustment to a new sighting method.

Not sure if he does that or not. I purchased the RMR later so he di en t have that in hi shop when doing the work on the gun. I'm not having much issue picking up the dot with th Glock, I had Moe of an issue locating the reticle on my HK w/ Delta Point. I attribute this to the Glock's grip angle.

I haven't had the pleasure of working with a RDS equipped HG yet, but it is my understanding that finding the dot does take some getting used to without the help of a cheek weld as one would have on a long gun. Possibly you have already gotten past that this not being your first RDS pistol. I had forgotten about your HKP30 set-up, but now that you mention it I did lust after it pretty hard back when you posted the thread/pic.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post

One of the biggest practical advantages I have found to the front-mounted suppressor sight is that it is much easier to build a low-riding IWB holster around it. The gun can ride a half-inch lower along the belt line with the Bowie configuration than with the RMR to the rear of the BUIS.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    I wouldn't go as far as to say you need a cheek-weld, if anything I would say that the opposite is true as I typically used a cheek-weld index on my right shoulder due to my cross-dominance. With the RDS I can keep my head straight instead of having to get the index for good two-eye open sight picture.

I think the issue with the RDS is it provides instant feedback in just how inconstantly we present the gun to the target. I think a lot of people are subconsciously aligning the sights as we present the pistol and with the RDS you can't do that as well until the gun is further out so you end up extending the gun and have to find the dot. The dot is always going to be in the same place (in theory) so when you think about it, if you have to keep locating the dot over and over again, it's you putting the dot someplace different.

After a while you learn to physically present the gun in a more consistent manner.

This is a vid from our IDPA/USPSA Monster Mash-Up this year. The next closest score was a full 6 seconds behind me on this one and I could have done better. I jerked the trigger on the first shot and missed on on the star that I actually tried to shoot through a vision barrier. Well that and I should have moved farther to the left on my first movement...but oh well, it was a fun stage. :D

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Got this back from Bowie in October. Base gun is a police trade in Gen G17. Grip has been chopped to 19 size, re textured and trigger guard under cut. Replaced all springs etc and performed a nice trigger job to remove most of the Glock "bounce" in the trigger. Slide re coated in cerakote and is now wearing a Trijicon RMR, 6.5MOA DOT w/ adjustable LED. This thing is ONE NICE BLASTER!

Very nice, indeed. How is the carry set-up working out? My DeltaPoint Glock is also a trade-in 3rd Generation 17. David did the sight installations, and Lou Biondo did the grip chop. Are you two planning any trips back to TDI next year? I'm signed up for Handgun VI and FIST. I'm also doing a re-do on Handgun II and III so I can run it with a friend of mine.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    very cool gun, there JD. I feel so completely......stock. I've been looking to do something with mine that I also got
    as a police trade in 15 years ago.

Well I can definitely recommend Bowie's work. This is our third gun we've had work down on and I couldn't be happier. I almost want to go buy another 17 and have him do a similar build minus the RDS. I really like the balance/concealability of the 17 with 19 grip dimensions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well I can definitely recommend Bowie's work. This is our third gun we've had work down on and I couldn't be happier. I almost want to go buy another 17 and have him do a similar build minus the RDS. I really like the balance/concealability of the 17 with 19 grip dimensions.
    Plus one on the balance/concealability. My stock 19 sees much less carry time than the 17.
    William T. Sherman

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Very nice, indeed. How is the carry set-up working out? My DeltaPoint Glock is also a trade-in 3rd Generation 17. David did the sight installations, and Lou Biondo did the grip chop. Are you two planning any trips back to TDI next year? I'm signed up for Handgun VI and FIST. I'm also doing a re-do on Handgun II and III so I can run it with a friend of mine.

Working very well. I'm experimenting with the G-Code / HSP Incog and so far I like it. I was using a Fricke @ ECQ and that works well.

As for 2014....I may be back to TDI but Lima won't be until later in the year....say about after 9 months or so.

Sounds like an annoucement! Congratulations
    How does the 17/19 compare to 19 or 17 in stock config. shooting and carry wise?

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    How does the 17/19 compare to 19 or 17 in stock config. shooting and carry wise?
    I really wouldn't know as I haven't carried either before this one. My previous Glock was a 21SF and this is a LOT better to carry than that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I carry everything at the 3:00/9:00 positions, and prefer a deep-riding holster.

I carried a stock 19 exclusively before I got the 17, using the Brommeland Max-Con V. The 17 was bought with the DeltaPoint addition in mind, so I never carried it stock. After I had the sights installed, I had a tough time finding a concealment holster I could live with. I finally wound up with a frankenholster which worked marginally at best for me. Even then, printing from the bottom of the grip was an issue. Frustrated, I had Lou Biondo chop the grip to a 19 length. That still left me with a holster problem. Eventually, Mark at Midworld made one for me to the specifications I provided him, adding some tweaks I had not considered. Holster problem solved.

I prefer the balance and feel of the chopped 17 over the 19, although I still love the 19. I have done side-by-sides with similarly equipped guns, and like the chopped 17 better than a DeltaPoint-equipped 19. Carry-wise, they are identical, as they both ride in the same holster.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Cool, but what is this trigger "bounce"? I haven't heard that term.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links