Sig P250 Subcompact

Sig P250 Subcompact

This is a discussion on Sig P250 Subcompact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the temp dipping like a lot people, I changed my EDC to my auto. With summer where it is hotter than heck, I normally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P250 Subcompact

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Sig P250 Subcompact

With the temp dipping like a lot people, I changed my EDC to my auto. With summer where it is hotter than heck, I normally either pocket carry a LCP or IWB / pocket carry a J frame / LCR .38. My winter EDC here in NC is now the Sig P250 subcompact in 9mm. I know some people on here are going to cringe that OMG itís got that long DAO trigger, OMG it failed the government tests way back before Sig FIXED the problems.

I originally chose the P250 because I liked the idea of the idea of switching calibers and such. I have not done so, but I would still like to get the xchange kit for .40. The second reason was because it was DAO and with my summer carry weapons I like the idea of having the familiarity of the DAO triggers.

I currently own the P250 2sum with provides a full size and subcompact setup. I also own a P250 compact in 9mm as well giving me 2 complete guns at any one time. Also my bedside pistol is the fullsize frame right now. Currently I have nearly 10,000 rounds through all my P250s without really any hiccups. Last year I noticed that I was getting some fairly light primer strikes. Although the rounds fired it did concern me a little so I sent it back to Sig to be fixed. On a side note the P250 2sum I bought was used unknown to me, the gun shop never told me or had it marked as such . When I called Sig for the work, they stated it was used however because I didnít know and they wanted to stand by their products they fixed it for me free of charge.

As you will notice in the posted pics, the subcompact frame it is the medium subcompact grip frame with the rail which I ordered from Sig. For those of you who may not know, the 2sum kit comes with the small subcompact grip frame. Previous to getting the med frame I liked the small subcompact frame but I really didnít love it. Switching to the medium frame has made all the difference in the world. I would shooting the small frame a little low, and drawing the weapon made me feel like I was going to drop it because I wasnít getting a good grip on it. The new medium frame rocks I can get a great grip out of the holster and it shoots point of aim without any issues.
    There are a few things I donít like about the P250 line but none of them are show stoppers. One I would have preferred that Sig make the subcompact frame the same as the other ones like Glock as. Being able to use all the same holsters would be nice. Two adding the rail to the subcompact, kydex holsters designed for the small frame without the rail will not work with the new frame with rail. Three parts are expensive, $50 for a magazine come on now.
    SCP250.jpgSCP250_1.jpg
    All and all I do think the P250 line is a solid platform now that Sig as worked the bugs out of it. For those looking for a simple pistol to carry it may be something to look into. I find that the P250s are just as accurate as any other Sig I have shot and once the DAO trigger is mastered making follow-up shots very easy. I have not had any issues running any FMJs or defensive ammo through it. I have shot most main stream defensive ammo through it before the ammo shortage without any problem. I stuck mainly to either 124 +P or 147 grain bullets including Gold Dogs, Ranger T and bonded, PDX1s, Hydra Shok, HSTs, and Golden Sabers in both weights without a problem. Iím glad I tested all the defensive ammo before Sandy Hook. Days before Sandy Hook I was on an extended leave for the holidays and shot a whole lot of 9mm on my family property. With the ammo shortage Iíve been forced to kind of mix ammo per magazine due to being short until recently where I selected 124g +P Gold Dots as my carry load. Second side note regarding carrying mixed ammo, hand loads, modifying weapons and such. Talking to many lawyers and judges in the course of my job, they have all stated if they get to where they are nit picking about your defensive carry loads, weapons, or modifications, etc. you have either already lost and they are trying to tack on years, or they are grasping at straws because they donít have a good case. I know there are ADAs out there that would bring it up, but they all stated that it would likely to confuse some of the non gun jurors and cost a bunch of money to hire experts to dumb it down enough to understand. They did state, that gun types and ammo may not play as big of a deal in a criminal trial, but could play a bigger part in a civil case. I do keep my weapons stock and use factory loaded defensive ammo that is used by LEOs with a track record. Some may not agree with the above statement, but that is my conclusion based on talking to various people in the criminal justice system.

Sky soldier:

The only thing I would add to your thread is the simplicity of the gun helps make it a really fine carry gun. I am the proud owner of several Sig 250s and I carry a subcompact. I have complete subcompacts in 9mm, 40 and 45 acp. Although I prefer the 40, I often switch off to 9 or 45. Mine have been flawless, and I love the 250 platform!

I like em too!
    Attached Images
    blitzburgh likes this.

I do have a few questions now that you really have my interest.

First: I always thought that the only grip frame for the Sub was the medium. Is the grip on yours actually larger than the original sub's frame.

Does it affect the way it fits in the holster.?

Where did you order the medium frame? Thanks.

OMG you own P250's? They have failed every Government T&E in existence! Don't you know that 3rd world countries and gang bangers won't even use them?! Get rid of that garbage and buy something reliable, like an old Lorcin or a Jiminez!

In all seriousness, I like the P250. Nice smooth trigger that will make you a better shooter once you learn it.
    cthruit likes this.

Welcome to the club. Nice choice. I own a few, and normally carry the 250SC in 9. I was going to go to the Medium frame on my SC as well, as you did, but found with a Hogue Handall Jr grip, the Small was perfect.

I agree with you in wishing that the SC grip had the same shape as the C and F - would have saved me quite a bit in holsters.

DAO is not for everybody, but I really like DA triggers in general, and the P250's is the lightest and among the smoothest one I've ever shot. The only critique I've got for it is that I wish it would break just a smidge earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    I do have a few questions now that you really have my interest.

First: I always thought that the only grip frame for the Sub was the medium. Is the grip on yours actually larger than the original sub's frame.

Does it affect the way it fits in the holster.?

Where did you order the medium frame? Thanks.
    he grip frame that I got in my 2sum kit for the sub was the small grip. I ordered it directly from Sig's website. The Sub grip that I have is the exact same feel as the medium and fullsize p250s now. If you look at the back strap low you should see some letters such as S-S or S-M. S-S= Subcompact small grip, S-M = Subcompact Medium grip. Looking at my fullsize P250 it has F-M. In a word, YES the new frame does affect kydex holsters. I don't have a kydex holster for it, however talking to SHTF gear and Crossbreed, they don't have a holster that will fit it because of the new rail. I'm sure a leather holster would fit it just fine, there should be enough give in a leather holster to fit the new frame with rail. For the longest time I have checked Sig's website looking for the medium and I never saw it until recently. I have been using Glock 21 or 30 OWB holsters for it and it works great. Good retention, covers the trigger guard, and allows me to get a good grip on the draw. A few of the holster makers I've talked to on here didn't even know the new frame was out. They do have holsters for the Subcompact but it's for the old style frame. I wish Sig would have done somthing like Glock and just chopped the grips like the G17, 19, 26 where you can use any of the holsters for them. Side note about the rail. When I added my TRL 3 to it, the rounded trigger guard gives it a really weird feel and the reach is long. I hope some of the hybrid holster makers come out with an IWB for it soon. I have tried a single attachment IWB and I didn't like how it wobbled.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    After putting a couple hundred rounds through my 290rs I've put it the rotation. No experience with the 250 but hey, it's a sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    After putting a couple hundred rounds through my 290rs I've put it the rotation. No experience with the 250 but hey, it's a sig.
    It had its early problems that Sig fixed. It has been rock solid for me, so that is what I carry. I'm not a huge fan of Glocks. They are great pistols but I don't like the grip angle.

If you're looking for a IWB, I'm very happy with my Tommy Theis hybrid - he makes them for both your F and SC. Aliengear does as well, but I can't vouch for them.

The early problems you reference have indeed been ironed out, and the current one should be thought of as a 2nd gen. I stopped keeping track, but I'm betting I'm past the 2K mark on my SC 9mm with no problems except the roll pin forward of the rear sight that started to work its way out at about 1k. I had to reseat it - no problems since.

As far as the expense of the mags. Definitely the case, but you should be able to find them closer to $40 (I got a few for $36 a while back, which is still expensive). Just make sure you get the new version mags. The ones for the old P250 are not interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger View Post
    I like em too!
    That subcompact looks quite appealing to me. Perhaps I can find one locally to fondle to make sure my hands aren't too large for it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I looked all over their website I cannot find the grips

I have the P250c 9mm and conceal carry it, 3000 rounds through it with no problems. It is one of the best pistols I have ever owned.

I rented a bunch of pistols Sig P250, Sig 2022, Ruger SR9c, & CZ 75 P07 a few weeks ago just for fun and put them through the paces along with my own Glocks. Scored best with the CZ and then my own Glocks. Shot the lowest scores with the P250. That long trigger pull/reset and grip takes some getting used to. I may try again in future but for right now Sigs just don't work for me as well as other manufacturers.

I've got the Compact 9 and like it alloot. My son evidently likes it to as he took it home with him, LOL. I need to get a 2nd mag and I would love to get a SC conversion for it in 40 cal. But looking on the web conversions are basically non-existant right now. Oh well not in any hurry.

Sounds like you have the setup going on. They are diamonds in the ruff as I call them, great firearms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links