M&P Owners: Advice Needed

This is a discussion on M&P Owners: Advice Needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a full size 40 and love everything about it, except the jointed trigger. I don't mind how the trigger performs currently, after 900 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M&P Owners: Advice Needed

I have a full size 40 and love everything about it, except the jointed trigger. I don't mind how the trigger performs currently, after 900 or so rounds it has improved quite a bit and smoothed out. I don't even mind it's current pull weight. I just can't stand that 2 piece trigger. Been thinking about putting the Apex Poly AEK in it and nothing else. I do carry the weapon quite often, and haven't ruled out adding the trigger upgrade and the duty/carry kit. But I honestly don't want to if I don't have to since I am happy with it other than the bang switch.

I was wondering if any others with M&Ps have ONLY replaced the trigger and still been happy, or did you eventually install the FFS or DCAEK?

I wish they offered one for the shield...

I'm very content with the triggers on my M&P's, but have shot one with an Apex Trigger. You will love the Apex Trigger.
    It's incredible....but pricey.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ritepath View Post
    I thought that there was a APEX kit for the Shield. I've been thinking of buying one for mine. But I'm like the OP I like my stock trigger.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

I dropped the APEX DCAEK into my 9c and love it. The kit makes the trigger quite a bit better. I never had a problem with the jointed trigger so I can't speak to that.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    I thought that there was a APEX kit for the Shield. I've been thinking of buying one for mine. But I'm like the OP I like my stock trigger.
    There's an apex carry kit, but their triggers are only for the large framed M&P's

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid60.html

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid71.html

willing to invest $150+ for something that makes shooting anything a dream. just depends on how the trigger is in the first place. did that even make sense?
    Taurahe likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

There is an upgrade for the Shield, now.

However, I would NEVER modify a sidearm I carry for Self Defense.
    Prosecutors love the term "Modified Firearm" and it WILL be on your Depo should you ever have to use it in defense of yourself or a loved one.

The trigger on my M&P .45 has improved much over 8-9000 rounds. The trigger on my M&P Shield .40 is quite decent, but ought to get better with use.
    Trigger mods are good for competition sidearms, but can mean the difference in being prosecuted or not in an otherwise good defensive shoot.
    I have seen such happen more than once. Never modify a moving part on a sidearm you carry. Period.
    It just ain't worth the possible consequences.

We had a few Troopers put the 3.5# mod on their Glocks, but they were eventually discovered (no shoot involved) and were canned.
    I once had a mod (factory bobbed hammer, not cut, just a diff hammer with no spur) done by our dept armorer, with signed approval, and it still near cost me my job when I had to use it.
    cthruit likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

don't know how facebook pages show up here, but it looks like a shield trigger is coming out soon.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Can't help ya. Ain't a trigger or trigger pull made if the pull is smooth that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by ritepath View Post

Good news. Saw on the Apex Blog/Facebook gimmick that they are in the process of testing the AEK Trigger for the Shield.

I have the Apex Polymer trigger installed on 2 of my 9c pistols and I like them. I had an Aluminum Apex trigger on one of them first but did not like it [too boxy] and replaced it with polymer. It [The Apex trigger] reduces the trigger travel a little bit compared to the original hinged trigger so that one of the advantages of switching it out. I have a RAM installed also but not the DCAEK on those 2 pistols. I bought the DCAEK but never got around to installing it and actually don't want to anymore as I feel the trigger install is enough. Be careful though when messing with the trigger as a 'dead' trigger can arise from messing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    There is an upgrade for the Shield, now.

However, I would NEVER modify a sidearm I carry for Self Defense.
    Prosecutors love the term "Modified Firearm" and it WILL be on your Depo should you ever have to use it in defense of yourself or a loved one.

The trigger on my M&P .45 has improved much over 8-9000 rounds. The trigger on my M&P Shield .40 is quite decent, but ought to get better with use.
    Trigger mods are good for competition sidearms, but can mean the difference in being prosecuted or not in an otherwise good defensive shoot.
    I have seen such happen more than once. Never modify a moving part on a sidearm you carry. Period.
    It just ain't worth the possible consequences.

We had a few Troopers put the 3.5# mod on their Glocks, but they were eventually discovered (no shoot involved) and were canned.
    I once had a mod (factory bobbed hammer, not cut, just a diff hammer with no spur) done by our dept armorer, with signed approval, and it still near cost me my job when I had to use it.

Stop fear mongering
    matthew03 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

M&Ps are well known for iffy tiggers. I have a 9c with an OK trigger, and a newer 9 FS with the "new" trigger, which is much better.

I guess the jointed trigger never has bothered me.

Patri0t, I agree. These triggers are engineered to avert negligent discharges. It's not fearmongering to warn against modifying guns that might be used in self-defense situations. There are tons of legal precedents that make this a risk. Guys, we're talking about LAWYERS. Any prosecutor is gonna try to villify you any way they can. If you have a gun you can't shoot without lightening the trigger, you either need more trigger time or another gun. There's a reason cop agencies don't want their cops changing their stock guns - liability. It won't keep you from making a bad call, but it might save you legal grief and more money paying defense attorneys to keep you from being labeled a "bad-ass gunfighter, looking for a better way to kill by having a hair trigger on his gun."
    It doesn't have to be true....they're lawyers, remember?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links