Do you really care what it looks like? - Page 3

Do you really care what it looks like?

This is a discussion on Do you really care what it looks like? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a 1911 guy, but I don't care how worn or scratched it is. I carry it for my protection, not to be seen. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a 1911 guy, but I don't care how worn or scratched it is. I carry it for my protection, not to be seen. All of my carry guns now are of the 1911 type and I trade off carrying them. some are stainless some blued and even some are parkerized. The Glocks have never been comfortable to me, but if that was the only gun I could get, rest assured I would carry it. If we lived in a world that it was exceptable to carry in the open then maybe I would go for one of those BBQ guns, but till then I will carry whatever is available and works.

OMG!

Senior Moderator
    To me nothing look better than a Single Action Army. A SSA is how a gun is suppose to look. I guess that is why I like wheelies so much. I shoot IDPA with a Taurus PT92, and some times carry a Makarov 380 (now thats ugly). But my favorites are wheelies. I Like Blue and don't like plastic. But the main thing is that it works for you.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    holster wear is one of the most beautiful things about an old blued revolver IMO...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    A good gun is never a bad color.

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    To me nothing look better than a Single Action Army.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Tried and true, the Colt .45 SAA is without a doubt one of the finest handguns ever made. Not only for it's aesthetics, but it also has that whole "changed the face of the American West" thing going for it as well.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree. Tried and true, the Colt .45 SAA is without a doubt one of the finest handguns ever made. Not only for it's aesthetics, but it also has that whole "changed the face of the American West" thing going for it as well.
    Not to start a "Love Fest" but the darn things point so well. It is the only handgun I can shot with one hand better than I can with two.

While I don't have a collection of handguns, I still look at it this way:
    If it's my CCW weapon, or daily carry weapon, I don't care what it looks like. It must be reliable and durable (Yes, there is a difference, imo).

With that said, the rest of my collection will more than likely be filled with good looking guns that are still fun to shoot. The most abuse I hope those guns get is from me shooting them, not from everyday abuse that goes along with having a CCW weapon.
    Beretta 92FS

Colt SAA lovefest - George Patton chimes in

During WW2 General George Patton could have carried any sidearm he wanted, but chose the Colt SAA revolver shown below. This gun is now in an Army museum in Kentucky.

Looks don't matter to me. It has to be reliable and easy to carry.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

It's gotta be a Glock. I've got a beautiful woman, I can handle an ugly gun
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Got three Glocks........guess I'm already on the dark side...........

I really love my XD's.....so that must be what makes them beautiful to me. They just look tough to me, the way the old 70's muscle cars look.

I like the holster wear on my service model. My sub has been Armory Coated and it looks amazing, but my service has character. A gun that is worn from use tells as much about the owner as a well worn bible does.

I really want a Kimber Grand Raptor, but even at 3 times the price of my XD I would never carry it.
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

First let me say that I have alot of respect for the newer polymer framed guns. Glocks, XDs and the like arefantastic weapons and I wouldn't hesitate to carry a Glock into battle or on patrol. But there are better looking guns that perform just as well or better.

If I am spending my personal money for a weapon them I am going to buy something I like the looks of. For me that is mostly going to be metal framed automatics like Sigs, Ruger MK II, Kahr K40 Covert and likely some 1911s in the future. Life is too short to pay for a gun you don't like for any reason.

Would you buy a car/ruck/suv that you didn't like the looks of if it was a great piece of machinery. No, of course not. There are vehicles you like the looks of better and will do the job just as well.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    EUC, I heard rumor of you being gone for a while...had me concerned. Are things OK with you?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links