Do you really care what it looks like?

This is a discussion on Do you really care what it looks like? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kind of a light hearted topic, but hey not everything has to be so serious. I've got this friend who I'm slowly trying to convert ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you really care what it looks like?

Do you really care what it looks like?

Kind of a light hearted topic, but hey not everything has to be so serious.

I've got this friend who I'm slowly trying to convert over to the Dark Side, and God help him I can tell he's a 1911 guy and he doesn't even realize it. Give it time...

Anyway part of his attraction to that platform is he's just one of these guys who likes everything to look nice and neat. Seriously, it's just his deal.

Now I appreciate a good looking gun, although I have a rather wide definition of it. Yobo 1911s look awesome. I've seen some old Model 10s with 50% of their bluing gone from holster wear that I consider good looking. I think Ruger revolvers look good, distinctive yet understated.

And then there's this.

My carry gun looks like something a Lego man left in the crapper after a bout of bad constipation and then someone slapped a trigger on it. Don't get me wrong I have come to respect this gun and those like it very much and I carry this one every day. I love how it feels and how it points how it carries so flatly and how it functions, but it looks like garbage.

But I don't care, and in fact I'm glad I think it's ugly looking because it helps me take it more seriously as a mere tool. Plus if I scratch it, which I have, several times, I don't care. If I drop it on asphalt and kick it across the parking lot, oh well.

When I went carry gun shopping, aesthetics was pretty much the bottom of my list. It had to feel right, it had to have a certain manual of arms, it had to be the right price, and it just had to be easy to carry.

But there's the other side of the coin. Not everyone is satisfied with the Lego man poop like I am. I see the pictures posted here, some of you carry rather stunning pieces.

And I'll admit it, I enjoy the lines and design of some of my other firearms. My 625 (curse you again Bud White) is probably my favorite as far as appearances go, and its appearance is part of its appeal. And at times I dream of a sleeker form factor, so I can see how maybe someone would choose what many would consider a "purty" gun for a reason other than it was "purty".

When I was helping my mother select her house gun, she wanted nothing to do with anything stainless. Blued guns for her and nothing else.

When my sister came to shoot, the only black gun I got her to fire was a little .22. She didn't want to touch any of the black guns.

So I'm guessing for some people, there is something to this.

I can't say this is wrong or right either way, it's your gun it should conform to your whims.

In fact, by choosing what I consider to be an ugly gun for the purpose, I am validating someone who chooses a more attractive gun, because I'm admitting I'm too much of a sucker for a "purty" gun to carry one! Ha!

Is this a completely dumb consideration? Is the topic not really worth discusing? At first I thought so too, but on further consideration of my own experiences I don't think so. Back to my friend...

This guy will probably never swing over to the Dark Side, but he largely ignored my interest because, and I'm not making this up, any gun of mine he saw was my ugly evil black guns. A picture of a stainless Kimber piqued his interest.

I got my sister to shoot some .38 Specials out of a shiny stainless Ruger, because it was shiny and stainless and looked right to her. She probably won't come to the dark side either but she now knows she fired a real revolver and nothing bad happened.

Are those bad things? I don't think so. Maybe they're minor things in the grand scheme of the universe, but they're not bad.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nearly anything that goes "bang" is not a bad thing!

Enjoy you Fantastic Plastic.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

if that is all your going to curse me for euc then that aint all bad

I have tupperware but prefer the fine lines of a steel gun be it 1911 or a wheelie and finsh wear just adds to it

Lead Moderator
    I like the look of a new gun. But I like the look of a well worn, cared for gun even more. I find even the Glocks, XD's ect look good cause they are serious tools.
    My 1911 Champ is green and blued, so I like some different stuff.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

For practical/tactical considerations, I just have it ingrained in my brain that blued/subdued is best. Doesn't glare, doesn't attract attention. Shine is diminished.

However, nothing says awesome like a nickel-plated weapon. One of these days, a pair of gold-plated pistols ala Castor Troy in Face/Off will be mine. I've also thought about buying a commemorative Marine Corps 1911 with gold inlay and rich wood/ivory grips at one point, but decided against it. One of these days. :)

Aesthetics mean a lot to me. I have chosen all of my gun purchases pistols and long guns based on function and feel after narrowing my choices down based on how I liked the "look" of the gun. I know my own shallowness when it comes to firearms, and if it is ugly, I don't want to shoot it. Of course ugly is all subjective. I personally do not like the look of Glocks, but a shooting buddy doesn't want to own anything else because he loves the look of them. So yeah, for me, looks count.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    if that is all your going to curse me for euc then that aint all bad

I have tupperware but prefer the fine lines of a steel gun be it 1911 or a wheelie and finsh wear just adds to it
    <snickering here. Euc? ya haven't cursed me YET...........BUT........I'm sure I can find something laying around for you to start cursing me over.......maybe a nice Colt.............King Cobra? Agent? Mustang? The list goes on and remember..............it's almost saturday, when most fresh trades come dancing through the doors
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    I personally do not like the look of Glocks, but a shooting buddy doesn't want to own anything else because he loves the look of them. So yeah, for me, looks count.
    And sometimes, the ugliness is the draw. I find Kel-Tecs to be just awfully ungraceful, but they're small, practical guns, so I really want one. Almost like how sometimes you like the smell of your own farts. You can't explain it, but you just do, y'know?

DC Founder
    Nope, I think your topic is worthy, Euc and I think you are right on the money. While I enjoy owning my Nighthawk 1911, and carry it often, my normal carry gun is my Kimber Custom TLE 1911. I also liked all the guns I no longer own, the Glock 30, XD-40, Sig P226, Colt Diamondback. The thing they all have in common is that they are all black. Guns to me are just meant to be black....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Yeah, I am a black gun guy too. Glocks just do it for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    The thing they all have in common is that they are all black. Guns to me are just meant to be black....
    Funny you'd say that Bumper, you sound like my dad. Everything he had, it had to be black. If he could replace any part of it and make it more black, he would.

Someone who was well meaning tried to get me to switch out to a tan grip on my commemorative AR15 (everything on it is of course black). I had a hard time explaining why I was passing up an upgrade because it was the wrong color...

Well, nothing looks better to me than a 1911. I also happen to shoot one fairly well, so I guess I'm lucky.
    But I also like some black guns, I think my HK P2000sk is a great looking gun, it also shoots great.
    I guess I wouldn't carry a gun I couldn't shoot well, but I would buy one if its appearance really struck me for some reason...
    I carried a Glock for a while though, and I think they're butt ugly. However I sold it 'cause I could never shoot it well...

Hmmm...I guess I don't really know where I stand. I'm more confused now than when I started.

I think ARs look good too. And Garands.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    With the exception of my carry gun (which no one should see), of course appearance matters! The dings on my M1 Garand give it character and imply stories of being used in wartime. The black furniture on my AR appeals to me for the simple fact that it spins up certain people. One of the reasons I bought a Browning Hi Power was that I saw one in a catalog when I was a kid and have wanted one ever since (anyone know where I can find an engraver to duplicate the Rennasance model appearance?). I like the stainless finish on my 1911 because it is easier to keep looking good or make surface repairs. All appearance related.

Even my carry gun's appearance makes a difference now that I think about it. If I could make it look like the fabric of my clothes, it might conceal even better.

JD
    Administrator
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I recently acquired a Socom II, and the cluster rail is ugly as sin, totally destroying the lines of the M14 platform, but at the same time I totally dig it.

Looks don't matter...usually.

Whenever I buy tools, cars, appliances, etc., looks are usually pretty far down on the list of important features. At the top are things like price, reliability, parts and service availablility, cost of ownership, etc.

However, when I started my search for a carry/IDPA gun to replace/supplement my Kahr P9, (I wanted at least 10 round capacity for IDPA) one of the first that I considered was an XD-40. That is until I saw and handled one for the first time. It looked bulky and I was sure that it was one of the ugliest pistols that I'd seen...other than the Ruger P-series. I told myself that looks aren't supposed to matter but I failed to convince myself and passed on the XD-40.

So...after looking at Glocks, Sigs, 1911's, S&W, Walthers, a Steyr, and everything in between, what did I end up with? Yep, an XD-40. Sometimes they just have to be given a chance to grow on you I guess. I couldn't be more happy with my decision. I've had it almost 2 years now and it is my primary carry, IDPA, plinking, and bowling pin gun. My P9 hasn't been shot in a year and a half and my CZ75 for 2 years. I really like the XD.

Bulky? Not really. It just looks that way. With a Bulman FDS holster, it's very easy to conceal and comfortable to wear. It is an excellent combination of gun and holster. For me at least.

So I'm glad that looks only clouded my judgement temporarily. YMMV.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links