Choosing a backstrap

Choosing a backstrap

This is a discussion on Choosing a backstrap within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there an optimal way of deciding which backstrap to use in a customizable grip handgun such as a Glock? So far I've been using ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: Choosing a backstrap

Choosing a backstrap

Is there an optimal way of deciding which backstrap to use in a customizable grip handgun such as a Glock? So far I've been using the large backstrap as I have long fingers and that places my distal crease right against the edge of the trigger with my index finger relaxed. That works well for the trigger, but it's not so comfortable to hold as the grip is huge. A smaller backstrap feels better in the hand but I tend to put too much finger on the trigger unless I specifically remember to give it some extra curl.

Should I try to optimize length of pull (as now) over grip comfort, or should I go with the best feeling grip and retrain my index finger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your over thinking it.... shoot eaxh one and go with the one that works best all around
    Tundra5.7 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

The grip that feels best when not shooting is not the necessarily the grip that makes you the best shooter. Score your shots at the range using each grip. Warm up at the range and change the grips amongst each other a few times in no particular order and see what shoots best most consistently. Also I've noticed that sweating [while taking pistol/rifle classes] makes each grip have a different result on my shots so also would try to simulate that with each as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    your over thinking it.... shoot eaxh one and go with the one that works best all around
    Exactly.
    Go to the range and let the bulls-eye decide. Do some double taps.
    If anything is 'uncomfortable', its probably wrong.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    Should I try to optimize length of pull (as now) over grip comfort, or should I go with the best feeling grip and retrain my index finger?
    Yes, in the sense that what's "optimal" to you is the right mix of ergomonics + LOP.

For myself, LOP and correct operation of the gun is very important. But ergonomics also plays a role in my ability to reliably and effectively treat the gun as an extension of my own hand. Ideally, I've selected a gun that's pretty darned close, anyway, in terms of overall sizing/fit from an operability standpoint. Hopefully, as well, it's got minor adjustable ergonomic features such as backstrap or grip panels that allow me to tweak things. But that's just me.

For you, do whatever feels and works best in your case. If you feel accuracy is Job #1 to the exclusion of all else, use that yardstick. If ergonomics is king irrespective of all else, do that. For me, it's a mix ... my own mix. Pick your own mix and live with it. It'll be fine, as you'll be the best judge of what the "right" mix is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Put your stuff on the table. Close your eyes and pick up the gun. Feel it. Try the same thing with different grips. Do each several times. It will become apparent which grip your hand likes the best.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have the Medium backstrap on mine and put on a Hogue Handall grip over it. Works great for me, could be a option for you.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Back straps and Glock? You just take it as is the way Gaston Glock made it and be happy.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I shoot my Gen 4 Glocks without the back straps. I'm the most accurate this way.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Choosing a backstrap

Thanks for the advice, I'll re-evaluate the straps at the range next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gen 4s come with different back straps. Shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Back straps and Glock? You just take it as is the way Gaston Glock made it and be happy.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

personally I like my back straps fried, in a light batter then add cream of mushroom soup

Oh we are talking about Glocks. Not deer.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    The Gen 4s come with different back straps. Shrug.
    I know they do. It's been a long standing joke at least with the older generations that you pretty much get what Gaston Glock gives you.

Sponsored Links