Any one here carry a Tokarev?

This is a discussion on Any one here carry a Tokarev? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked one up today in a trade. It is a Norinco 213 in 9mm. It came in case with two sets of grips and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any one here carry a Tokarev?

I picked one up today in a trade. It is a Norinco 213 in 9mm.
    It came in case with two sets of grips and two mags.
    It has never been fired yet but I hope to shoot it next week.
    It won't be replacing my Glock for carry but I think I will give it
    some range time and have my Wife use it for the house gun when I am not home.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I have a 7.62mm TT33. I would not use it as a carry gun however, as it lacks any sort of safety, including a hammer/firing pin block to prevent accidental discharge if it's dropped.

008.jpg
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I have a 7.62mm TT33. I would not use it as a carry gun however, as it lacks any sort of safety, including a hammer/firing pin block to prevent accidental discharge if it's dropped.

008.jpg
    This here.... As a range toy absolutely but for anything else I would pass

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    mano3 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I got my Tokarev for a shot gun that I got free in a trade.So I have nothing in to it.
    I do like the fact that it has a safety so it can be carried cocked and locked.
    I think it will be a fun range gun and a good back up at the house.

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    fun gun to shoot but id opt away from it being used as a CCW
    They jam,the mags can be very un reliable and ammo ,all I have ever seen is surplus
    or cheap FMJ

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    They jam,the mags can be very un reliable and ammo ,all I have ever seen is surplus
    or cheap FMJ
    Mine is a 9mm.

Sponsor
    Bad idea to carry something that old with the metallurgy used back then. I'd not trust something that old not made here with the idea of keeping my arse from being waxed.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I would have kept the shottie.

And then looked for a better alternative for an addition to my handgun collection for carry.
    Glad you like it.
    It is not evil, but would just not have been my selection.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Bad idea to carry something that old with the metallurgy used back then. I'd not trust something that old not made here with the idea of keeping my arse from being waxed.
    It was made in the 80's.

I've never owned one. I had a friend who carried one because he said it was well suited to his mode of carry.(Boot) As far as I know he never used it for defense or shot his foot off. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I got my Tokarev for a shot gun that I got free in a trade.So I have nothing in to it.
    I do like the fact that it has a safety so it can be carried cocked and locked.
    I think it will be a fun range gun and a good back up at the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    or cheap FMJ
    Most of the ammo available (cheaply) is FMJ, and is soviet bloc surplus. It has corrosive primers, which is another reason not to keep a Tokarev loaded all the time if you have the 7.62x25mm version, which 99% of them are. I have had hangfires, I have had surplus mag issues, etc.. It's not a gun I'd trust my life to. Save some money and buy a better gun for EDC. There are plenty of fantastic guns out there for well under $400. Heck, I just saw two Beretta nano handguns on here for $305 each, and they'll take your same 9x19mm

It was made in the 80's.
    You have a 9mm version, which means it was somehow modified to handle 9mm ammo. That's not a stock Tokarev as far as I know, and it's been modified after import, because a stock Tokarev has no thumb safety. That's done by the importer as a requirement for sale within the US, so the gun is drilled out and some make-shift parts are added to put in the safety. That alone would make me nervous about carrying the gun. The TT33 I showed above is a fully stock Chinese model with no thumb safety. You won't see a lot of those here in the US, but this one was brought back as a war trophy so it wasn't modified as per BATFE requirements.

We're not picking on you, or really on the gun. We just want you to understand the problems with that gun as an EDC firearm.

By the way, the fact that yours is 9mm isn't really a plus either. 9x19mm is a much weaker round than the 7.62x25mm, which is a very high velocity round that can penetrate soft body armor. The 7.62x25 was the Soviet Bloc equivalent to the US .45ACP as a military standard issue side arm, so the TT is a very prolific gun. I still see them show up in batches at Lawman's locally for under $200 each on the shelves now and then. It's a very fun gun to shoot, but not especially valuable, and not the safest for carry.

Regarding metallurgy in the 80s, it's come a long, long way since then. Heck, just look at knife steels. We've gone from 440c being pretty much a high end steel, to now, where 440C is a cheap steel, and good steels are CMP-S30V, S120V, CTS-XHP, VG-10, and the like. In the 80s, we didn't even have ATS34/154CM yet.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I also forgot to mention, there is a company making Tokarev ammo in JHP now, too. I have it bookmarked somewhere here if anyone needs it.

Sponsor
    It was made in the 80's.
    Better than the 50's, but still suspect on heat treating/fragile small parts etc. I carried a 1942 milspec 1911 for some time on the streets, but had all the internals replaced with more modern, better heat treated parts before I'd trust it to save my butt [ which it did a few times ]. A reliability package, all new internals, hand fitted barrel bushing was necessary before I'd trust it with my life on the hook.

Sponsor
    Most of the ammo available (cheaply) is FMJ, and is soviet bloc surplus. It has corrosive primers, which is another reason not to keep a Tokarev loaded all the time if you have the 7.62x25mm version, which 99% of them are. I have had hangfires, I have had surplus mag issues, etc.. It's not a gun I'd trust my life to. Save some money and buy a better gun for EDC. There are plenty of fantastic guns out there for well under $400. Heck, I just saw two Beretta nano handguns on here for $305 each, and they'll take your same 9x19mm

You have a 9mm version, which means it was somehow modified to handle 9mm ammo. That's not a stock Tokarev as far as I know, and it's been modified after import, because a stock Tokarev has no thumb safety. That's done by the importer as a requirement for sale within the US, so the gun is drilled out and some make-shift parts are added to put in the safety. That alone would make me nervous about carrying the gun. The TT33 I showed above is a fully stock Chinese model with no thumb safety. You won't see a lot of those here in the US, but this one was brought back as a war trophy so it wasn't modified as per BATFE requirements.

We're not picking on you, or really on the gun. We just want you to understand the problems with that gun as an EDC firearm.

By the way, the fact that yours is 9mm isn't really a plus either. 9x19mm is a much weaker round than the 7.62x25mm, which is a very high velocity round that can penetrate soft body armor. The 7.62x25 was the Soviet Bloc equivalent to the US .45ACP as a military standard issue side arm, so the TT is a very prolific gun. I still see them show up in batches at Lawman's locally for under $200 each on the shelves now and then. It's a very fun gun to shoot, but not especially valuable, and not the safest for carry.

Regarding metallurgy in the 80s, it's come a long, long way since then. Heck, just look at knife steels. We've gone from 440c being pretty much a high end steel, to now, where 440C is a cheap steel, and good steels are CMP-S30V, S120V, CTS-XHP, VG-10, and the like. In the 80s, we didn't even have ATS34/154CM yet.
    I still prefer the carbon tool steels for my blades. But you're right, metallurgy has come leaps and bounds from the 80's

I did't feel like I was getting picked on. I was just pointing out that mine is a 9mm and not a 7.62x25mm and that it was made sometime in the 80's. I am going to get a 7.62x25mm barrel for mine just for the hell of it.I don't plan on carry it as I have a Glock for that. I just wondering if anyone else carried one. Thanks for all the replies.
    GlassWolf likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links