Single action revolver carry: Yes, I do

This is a discussion on Single action revolver carry: Yes, I do within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; and for driving: crossdraw carry...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: Single action revolver carry: Yes, I do

and for driving: crossdraw carry

2. Remove Ads

Not very practical for urban area defense, but in rural and around the house heck yeah. Very nice setup BTW.
    gatorbait51 and wheelyfun101 like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A man skilled in the use of his arms is a dangerous man indeed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Not very practical for urban area defense, but in rural and around the house heck yeah. Very nice setup BTW.
    We say tomaytah, he say tomatah.

As practical as any other large sidearm, I'd say. With the covering garments shown, if that meets the guy's lifestyle and situational needs then I'd say it's fairly practical. To each his own.

Beautiful look there, too. A practical "long Colt" for the workin' man. Yeah, baby.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

MJK
    +1!

Wouldn't fit my needs but wish I had one.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Wow that takes a lot of brass. And a cowboy state of mind. Kudos to you for carrying so. May it serve you just as well as any other gun in an actual incident!

P.S. Beautiful gun!

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Wow that takes a lot of brass. And a cowboy state of mind. Kudos to you for carrying so. May it serve you just as well as any other gun in an actual incident!

P.S. Beautiful gun!
    Thanks!
    All those who "know" me on this forum, know that I am interested in many types of firearms. My primary carry will most often be my Glock 26 Gen 4, but on occasion (hiking, camping, range visits, 4 wheeling, barbeques, hunting sidearm and long drives.......) I will/do carry a single action revolver.

I fully understand the limited capacity, dangers of having to cock before each shot, and FORGET about reloading under pressure!
    But, it is an option for concealed carry, and my lifestyle does allow for some "country carry methods".
    gatorbait51 and 40Bob like this.

Just curious, do you say that because of speed or lack of speed in firing multiple rounds or the difficulty in reloading quickly or both?? I took a class with a guy who had a SA revolver, not my cup of tea, but he was good with it and did not feel "out gunned"
    By the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalgunner View Post
    Just curious, do you say that because of speed or lack of speed in firing multiple rounds or the difficulty in reloading quickly or both?? I took a class with a guy who had a SA revolver, not my cup of tea, but he was good with it and did not feel "out gunned"
    By the rest of us.
    I only say that due to the loss of motor-skills during a surprise attack with multiple attackers traveling in packs; which would more likely be hanging in the urban areas. JMO, but the single action revolver is one of the coolest handguns out there, absolutely love um. However, also my opinion; the firearm requiring a full cocking action carried out by a thumb or off hand before it can actually be an effective tool for defense makes it not AS PRACTICAL as it's DA compadre.

My comment was not intended to be condemning in any way. I feel the same way about someone carrying a semi-auto without a round chambered. I know this from first hand experience. The charging action seriously changes the dynamics for the encounter. Out and about in a rural setting the chances for overly surprising attacks are much more less likely I would think. I could be wrong, heck, it wouldn't be the first or last.

Almost forgot.. The reloading will end up being the slowest type of reloading for most any handgun I would suspect. I think Jerry Miculek would be slowed down considerably by the old style six shooter.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I use to carry my Ruger BlackHawk .45 when deer hunting or woods bumming & I sure never felt unarmed!

I traded it for a Glock,nothing wrong with the Glock I carry it a lot...but somehow ... that just seemed wrong..

VIP Member
    Good on you!

If you are comfortable with that as your carry.
    As for me, My name is not Bob Munden, so that is not even an option.
    I want to at least have a chance
    It would be the equivalent of driving a Yugo around today as an everyday driver.
    S-U-I-C-I-D-E for me.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

image.jpg
    No argument from me pardoner. Anyone would have to get up early and pack a big lunch to beat me if they had a Glock and I had any of these.

Is that a Mermickle P6 rig?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Mernickle holsters and single action revolvers

As the previous poster said, your holster strongly resembles a Mernickle model PS6 - photo below from the Mernickle website. That is an excellent holster.

With respect to carrying the gun (Which looks like a 4 inch barrel model) concealed, the advantages are the substantial caliber, the inherent accuracy of a SA revolver, and the intimidating sound of it being cocked, which has a deterrent effect on your threat. In many cases the attacker might change his mind at the last second when facing this gun. If you do have to shoot you have 6 significant shots to end the threat, which should be adequate in 99% of cases.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Old School cool ! SA revolvers were putting men down permanently before anyone every did a gun fighting study. I like it !!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

When I hike or backback, I normally have a .357 Vaquero. I am very comfortable with it. In an urban setting? Well, maybe not, but I I would know how to use it should I have to.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links