.380 Bodyguard tool steel firing pins.

This is a discussion on .380 Bodyguard tool steel firing pins. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard of numerous failures with the MIM firing pin on this little Smith. Anyway Galloway Precision has made some tool steel firing pins and ...

I've heard of numerous failures with the MIM firing pin on this little Smith. Anyway Galloway Precision has made some tool steel firing pins and they are shipping. Here's their link if you are interested. Galloway Precision :: Smith & Wesson Performance :: Bodyguard 380 Performance Parts I have one coming for my BG and I'll give a report on the install and make a range report after.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I have quite a few rounds though mine and so far never an issue
    but a MIM firing pin,S&W needs to rethink that one

Galloway is now indeed shipping the pins. It looks prey complicated to do the job however and the video is not the best with a lot of " look out for the little spring" comments. Anyone done the replacement ?

Go Seahawks!

I don't have a Bodyguard, but S&W is in fact using MIM internals on all of their guns these days. Anything to save a buck, and quality is no longer there. S&W, the US version of Taurus.

I have mine disassembled waiting on the pin to arrive. I do own an ebay generic sight pusher, worked perfect to remove the rear sight. A small punch to remove the extractor pin, actually not as bad as they made it sound.

OK, made the install and here's what I found. First I tried just dropping the new firing pin in right out of the package. Didn't go, so I grabbed my dial calipers and started micing it compared to the MIM Smith pin. What I found was the only difference was the small end of the pin was just over .001 in diameter bigger and that kept it from free floating in it's channel. I spent some time with some fine sand paper and polished the small end till it mic'd the same as the Smith pin. The Galloway pin is HARD so it took a while to polish it but I did get there, now it free floats in the channel just like the OEM pin.

Range report. We ran out to the range after work and test fired the pistol, everything worked perfect. I plan to go back Saturday and run about 50-100 through the gun and I'll report back on that.

To sum it up, the Galloway pin is a nice little piece. The small end did have to be polished to get it to free float. I sent them an email telling them that but haven't received a response yet. Would I buy it again? Yes.

My final post on this.

We went to the range and spent some time firing 50 rounds. No hickups whatsoever. To me this modification is a no brainer. It addresses the only drawback I can see to the .380 BG. The real question is why hasn't S&W done this?

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    I have quite a few rounds though mine and so far never an issue
    but a MIM firing pin,S&W needs to rethink that one
    If MIM is not good for a firing pin (and I think it not) then its not good for other parts either IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jkurtz7 View Post
    I don't have a Bodyguard, but S&W is in fact using MIM internals on all of their guns these days. Anything to save a buck, and quality is no longer there. S&W, the US version of Taurus.
    Save a buck is exactly why. MIM is about cheaper, not better, parts. Replacing the inferior (to me) MIM parts with steel is much more costly than just using steel in the first place. I would much rather pay an extra $25 (or whatever) up front at initial purchase and have better quality parts to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by reade View Post
    My final post on this.

We went to the range and spent some time firing 50 rounds. No hickups whatsoever. To me this modification is a no brainer. It addresses the only drawback I can see to the .380 BG. The real question is why hasn't S&W done this?

S&W used MIM to save a few dollars per pistol and Glock, Taurus, Kimber, Colt do it too.
    Here is why they can:
    -Most people that buy a new pistol are oblivious (I was) about the small parts being MIM instead of steel.
    -Some people that know about it (MIM) are satisfied with "good enough" will buy anyway and hope for the best.
    -A choice is not offered. If the manufactures offered a choice between pistols costing more $$ that used cast / tool steel components versus cheaper versions of the same pistol made with MIM components then the consumer could make an informed (conscious) decision as to whether they thought MIM was "good enough". I did not have a clue that the Kimbers I was plopping down ~$1,000 for had MIM parts and a "in the white barrel" (2010 Ultra Carry II, 2010 CDP Compact, 2010 Ultra Carry II stainless); I would have been much better off financially if I had been informed and bought Dan Wesson and Les Baer initially instead of learning after the fact and taking a loss on selling used pistols (Kimbers).

The closest version of having a choice between knowingly buying a pistol with MIM when another is offered with tool steel parts is Kimber vs Dan Wesson.

I detest MIM components in my pistols; I replaced the MIM extractors in my Glocks as well as the strikers. I would rather buy a used good condition Glock made prior to 2008 than a new one.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by reade View Post
    I've heard of numerous failures with the MIM firing pin on this little Smith. Anyway Galloway Precision has made some tool steel firing pins and they are shipping. Here's their link if you are interested. Galloway Precision :: Smith & Wesson Performance :: Bodyguard 380 Performance Parts I have one coming for my BG and I'll give a report on the install and make a range report after.
    I purchased one of these Firing pins and it was too large. Tried getting a response from Galloway and was told to return it, they refunded the cost of the firing pin but between the purchase and return, got hit with over $10.00 in shipping fee's. This is the 3rd problem I'e had with Galloway.

1. The first time they didn't ship all the parts I ordered and had to fight to get the parts. I had to convince them to weigh the products as shipped and compare the shipping weight. They never responded but did send me the part.

2. Problem was I received a shipped email the day before leaving for Arruba when I arrived home it still was not here. I called and they shipped me another but charged me for the product. Fortunately a few days later the original shipment arrived but if I hadn't received the 1st shipment would they have kept my money? Bad business practice.

3. Problem was with the firing pin for the Bodyguard not fitting and getting charged for the shipping costs when it clearly was their fault.

My personal opinion i'd stay way from Galloway, they aren't very reliable or ethical.

Distinguished Member
    I will pass on what you may have done by sanding on the pin. The part may be case hardened and I think it probably is but without testing no way to be sure. Look up case hardening and how deep the hardening goes. You may have made a hardened firing pin a very soft steel pin.

I view this as a fix for a problem that does not exist. Just my personal opinion and I own the gun and have removed the pin twice trying to detect a problem and have found nothing. I shoot cheap practive ammunition out of the little gun and also the self defense rounds sold.

Before you take a red hone and polish a part in your gun make sure you know what the hardening treatment of the part is.

Just my thoughts on amateur trigger jobs and replacement firing pins.

"I hate MIM", Chapter 27.... <snore>. A form of bigotry, applied to inanimate objects, based almost exclusively on anecdotes and not facts.

I guess no one's ever seen a broken "tool steel" firing pin? Or slide stop? Or [fill in the blank]...?

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just cringe when I see a technical process condemned for the wrong reasons. Please don't tell any of the F-15 jocks they've been flying at Mach 2 with MIM parts in the F100 engines!!!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

When the BG380 first came out I was one of the first to purchase it as my serial number was within the first 600 that was manufactured. To get used to the long and heavy DAO trigger, I kept dry firing it with snap caps. I had the firing pin break on mine 3 times and sent it back 2 times on S&W dime to get the firing pin fixed. However on the 3rd time I wrote a letter to S&W stating that after 3 breakages I lost confidence in my BG380 and that I wanted a FULL refund. I sent a copy of my original purchase receipt and with in 3 weeks I received a check for the full price I paid. However I really liked the BG380 and after about a year purchased another one, did NOT have any problems with that one, but ended up selling it for one of the newer LCP's with the shorter break trigger. God Bless

Links