Crimson Trace 642

Crimson Trace 642

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 642. I bought a Hogue grip for it and really liked the feel of it, but concealing it was much harder. ...

VIP Member

Crimson Trace 642

I have a S&W 642. I bought a Hogue grip for it and really liked the feel of it, but concealing it was much harder. I have to use a Smartcarry for work ( the only way i can get away with it ) and it prints really bad with the Hogue grip. So I've put the original grip back on , which I'm fine with..My question is, I plan on getting a Crimson Trace. Does anyone have experience with the LG405 Crimson Trace Grip? It looks about the same size as the original grip on the 642. I want something as close to the size of the original grip as i can get..Thanks.......

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but my general understanding of the Crimson Trace grips is that they're slightly wider than stock grips, both due to the actuator pad, and the laser device housing itself (which only measures a fraction of an inch).

It's not like on 1911s and certain semi-autos that tend to be flat, and you end up with a bulge above the grip, as you have the chamber to compensate a bit.

If you can get to a store to check them out, or know of someone who employs them, all the better, but honestly, I don't see them protruding past the width of the chamber, and should still allow you to maintain a slim profile. But do try to find an example of one you can handle, as $250+ is a lot to drop without getting a hands-on first.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out! From what I've read, they're extremely convenient and well-made devices.

EDIT: On second thought, after looking at an image of the LG-405's (http://crimsontrace.com/images/product/lg405_zoom.jpg) it appears that the laser device protrudes a bit more than the chamber does, so if you had a problem with Hogues, you may very well have a problem with these grips.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the CTs, although I'll confess I am considering a pair of the 405s myself. Which Hogue grip were you using? I currently have the Hogue Bantams on my 642 and they are no bigger than the original Uncle Mike's Boot grips and way more comfortable to shoot with. Although as with all "fit" related items, YMMV.

If/when you get those 405s, post a range report if you don't mind. I'd be very interested in how easy they are to conceal.

Ron
    I have a S % W 642 with Model 405 Crimson Trace Laser Grips. They appear to be the same size as the original grips and conceal very well, without printing, for pocket carry in a Mika pocket holster. They should also work well in a Smart Carry, but I have no actual experience with it.

Ron

I have the CT405 and highly recommend it. I feel it is thinner than the original grip except of course for the protruding laser on the side. I did not like the grip angle of the original grip (I felt it caused my hand to point down) which naturally created high shots when I gripped it as I wanted. Someone at CT must have recognized this as well because the grip angle has been made more natural and the grip is seated lower, which I believe helps with follow up. They still cost too much, but CT knows you'll buy it anyway. Its value well exceeds the cost of the labor and materials. This easily carries in a SmartCarry (I own the medium sized), but I usually pocket carry with no problems.

I have one on my S&W342PD, been on there way to long to remember the model number. Recently saw the newest CT revolver laser last month and it is a touch thinner and the backstrap section works better in regards to felt recoil.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have the 405 CT on my SW 638 and with that new backstrap setup, the recoil has calmed down a whole heck of a lot, compared to the supplied SW grips. The laser is mounted just to the lower right of the "wheel", thereby not really increasing the width size at all, and fits all of my J Frame holsters, be it OWB, IWB or Mika pocket. Except for the price, (which seems abit steep, but I got mine on Ebay for about $100 savings over msrp) I highly recommend it. Helps the wife also in tactical aiming.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roca View Post
    I'm afraid I can't comment on the CTs, although I'll confess I am considering a pair of the 405s myself. Which Hogue grip were you using? I currently have the Hogue Bantams on my 642 and they are no bigger than the original Uncle Mike's Boot grips and way more comfortable to shoot with. Although as with all "fit" related items, YMMV.

If/when you get those 405s, post a range report if you don't mind. I'd be very interested in how easy they are to conceal.
    I'm not sure which Hogue Grip I got. Its just the rubber one and is quite a bit bigger than the original grip. It looks to be the same size as the Crimson 305 Grip. I'd post a pic of the Hogue , but I cant figure out how to post a pic on here.
    Seems to be a trade off of easy to conceal or comfort of shooting.I choose the easy to conceal because I can still shoot fine with the original grip..

VIP Member
    Whitestone..... Great information. I have the small Smartcarry and it works well with my 642. I'm glad to hear the LG405 is even better than the original grip. Thanks for the info..

KevinInstructor. Looks like the LG305 to me on your gun which would be harder to conceal in a Smartcarry. I really prefer a bigger grip, but for concealment and the way i have to dress, I need to stick with the smaller grips. Thanks for the photo..

Thanks to all for the valuable info....

VIP Member
    ROCA, You had asked which Hogue grip I had.........

I've got a pair of the 405s I don't use. Stuck them on my 642 and they work really well in a SmartCarry.

I have the older 405's on a 940 and a 642. I have no trouble carrying iwb, smartcarry or front and back pocket carry. I think CT's are the way to go with J-frames. I can shoot faster and more accurate with them. Just my 2 cents.

The 405 is the way to go on a 642. I find I have more control than with the Hogue.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    Amateur Radio License KE5LDO

I put 405's on my 642 a couple weeks after I got it. They advertise a 35% reduction in recoil and I think that's accurate. These are smaller than the 305's and don't add any concealment problems. The laser also showed me how much wobble I had, so they are good for training as well as actual use.
    The fact that you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Crimson Trace 642

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I have a S&W 642. I bought a Hogue grip for it and really liked the feel of it, but concealing it was much harder. I have to use a Smartcarry for work ( the only way i can get away with it ) and it prints really bad with the Hogue grip. So I've put the original grip back on , which I'm fine with..My question is, I plan on getting a Crimson Trace. Does anyone have experience with the LG405 Crimson Trace Grip? It looks about the same size as the original grip on the 642. I want something as close to the size of the original grip as i can get..Thanks.......
    Hi,

I carry a S&W 642 with CT in a DeSantis pocket holster and love it. It conceals well in dress pants and cargo shorts. It does not work for me in jeans. I use this weapon primarily as a BUG but on occasion as my main carry weapon. I practice with Federal American Eagle 130 grain FMJ but carry Federal Hydra Shok 129 grain +P. I went with the +P because with the short barrel I wanted to get as much penetration as possible. Very light weight, easy to carry and is very manageable to shoot with the +P.

In day light I have found that I aim with the iron sights and use the Laser as a backup. It is nice to have the Laser for low light conditions and intimidation (might stop the attack before having to fire).

Cheers,
    MickGIS

Links