Kahr Shooters...How Do You do It?

This is a discussion on Kahr Shooters...How Do You do It? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright , I have a new (used CW9) I'm learning to shoot. Had it to the range twice so far and all has been well ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Kahr Shooters...How Do You do It?

Alright , I have a new (used CW9) I'm learning to shoot. Had it to the range twice so far and all has been well functionally. The challenge has been the trigger. A couple of issues have emerged.

I have large hands and using this gun with a traditional two handed grip leaves little real estate. I find that to get a good trigger press, I need to put a bit more finger in the trigger. This causes my trigger to come in contact with my support hand on the other side of the pistol. I have also tried less finger on the trigger but since the trigger releases s far back in the stroke, it is difficult to get a straight back press.

My other issue is is order to reset the trigger after firing, the design requires you let the trigger out quite a bit. During rapid fire I short stroked it twice. I realize this can probably be overcome with practice but how will it effect shooting my other pistols that don't have this characteristic...I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it.

Suggestions from Kahr shooters appreciated.
    Last edited by JMB; November 10th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.

The gun may be just to small for you. I would search out a better fit..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The gun may be just to small for you. I would search out a better fit..
    Maybe, but I'm not ready to write it off yet...conceals nicely and S&W Shields are a rarity around here.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Maybe, but I'm not ready to write it off yet...conceals nicely and S&W Shields are a rarity around here.
    Do you use a thumbs forward grip or a revolver grip?

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Do you use a thumbs forward grip or a revolver grip?
    I have tried both with the little monster. Revolver grip works best for pulling the trigger but not as good for recoil.

try locking your weak side thumb over the strong side thumb and fold them both down instead of holding them straight. this might enable you to get your thumbs out of the way of the tip of your trigger finger

as for the trigger reset issue, you'll have to re-educate yourself to let the trigger go all the way forward before pressing it again. don't try to shoot fast, but smoothly.

you don't say what gun(s) you're most familiar with, but it sounds like you're used to riding the trigger forward just to the reset point before pressing rearward it for the next shot. shooting a Kahr is more similar to shooting a DA revolver than shooting something like a 1911. roll/press the trigger all the way back on each shot, then smoothly release it all the way forward.

Dry fire it a lot with snap caps.

Lighten Up Francis.

I have tried both with the little monster. Revolver grip works best for pulling the trigger but not as good for recoil.
    Sometimes tools just wont work. I really believe that you might need a different gun. JMO..

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    try locking your weak side thumb over the strong side thumb and fold them both down instead of holding them straight. this might enable you to get your thumbs out of the way of the tip of your trigger finger

as for the trigger reset issue, you'll have to re-educate yourself to let the trigger go all the way forward before pressing it again. don't try to shoot fast, but smoothly.

you don't say what gun(s) you're most familiar with, but it sounds like you're used to riding the trigger forward just to the reset point before pressing rearward it for the next shot. shooting a Kahr is more similar to shooting a DA revolver than shooting something like a 1911. roll/press the trigger all the way back on each shot, then smoothly release it all the way forward.
    Thanks,

I'm most familiar with pretty much anything else besides a DA revolver...

Beretta M9
    Glock

Probably just pushing the envelope a little too soon.

Thumbs high and clamp the weapon and the most important advice I can give you; practice shooting allot especially high stress drills it will come I have the same gun and large hands Imuse the pad of my trigger finger. In fact the CW9 is one of my most accurate SD weapons that is in my rotation for CCW.
    mr surveyor and zonker1986 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Thumbs high and clamp the weapon and the most important advice I can give you; practice shooting allot especially high stress drills it will come I have the same gun and large hands Imuse the pad of my trigger finger. In fact the CW9 is one of my most accurate SD weapons that is in my rotation for CCW.
    Thanks,

Are you using the stock grips?

I have found accuracy good as well although it doesn't beat the CZ75B in .40 I had a few years back.

Not doing any "high stress" drills right now, just cadence stuff where I build speed gradually...that is until I started short stroking the trigger...

I have large hands and using this gun with a traditional two handed grip leaves little real estate.

My other issue is is order to reset the trigger after firing, the design requires you let the trigger out quite a bit. During rapid fire I short stroked it twice.
    A larger gun with better fitment seems the right choice. Something with greater length of pull, greater size to the grip (height-wise).

In the lighter-weight category of pistols, you might consider Glocks (ie, G19 or G17).

The CZ 75 line might be an option, as well. I've found the P-01, PCR and 75B to all have greater LOP and larger/taller frames than the Kahr products.

H&K also tends to make larger pistols than competing models from other makers. Look at the USP, P2000 and P2000SK, and the P30.

BTW: I've owned or shot most all of these, including having owned the Kahr CW9. With somewhat smaller hands, these are my observations.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Agree 100% with sensei2, on both the weak thumb over grip ( what I have to use too ), and the trigger being very much like a DAO revolver ( which I also carry-Ruger KLCR .357mag ), both buttery smooth, and the reset alike. I still try to position my finger properly on the trigger (gets much better with practice and concentration), then again much like the Ruger. After many rounds down range with each (my FUNTIME), it is now instinctive, with great shot placement with both. Have fun and practice, dry firing too, and everything will work as you want. Oh, my Kahr carry is the CM9, and I love it.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

I used my hands....

Joking aside, I too found the grip to be uncomfortable with my hands, even though they really arent large. I found the thumbs forward grip to work best for me and used as much trigger finger as I needed. Its not a target gun, its a close range gun. Using too much trigger finger will have minimal impact.
    Hodad likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I forgot to say also, just like Taurahe says above, I sometimes shoot with my finger all the way using the "crease" of my finger. Like M. Ayoob said in one of his articles, if it works for you, then use it (using the cease that is). Again, good luck. You won't find a more reliable, accurate, and concealable pistol in it's class than your Kahr, IMHO.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links