Wifey Got Her CC now picking a gun

This is a discussion on Wifey Got Her CC now picking a gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my awesome petit little wife got her CC license. She has taken some classes and the conceal class she took was not your typical ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Wifey Got Her CC now picking a gun

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels

So my awesome petit little wife got her CC license. She has taken some classes and the conceal class she took was not your typical class. They actually went through almost 100 rounds. I've taken her to the range as well and she shot my Shield, .380 Body Guard and I rented her a Walther PPS and Glock 26. She likes my Shield. She is a steady shot, listens well and has fun. With the Shield I would reset the safety each time I shot and reloaded and handed her the gun. She would forget to thumb the watery down. This concerns me and her so she also,liked the Walther PPS and Glock 26.

So I'm going to let her pick her own gun but I want to give her some guidance of what other guns to check out. 2 local ranges have a lot to rent as well so she is going to spend so money on renting to learn the different feel of different guns.

Besides the Shield, Walther PPS I was going to also have her check out the Sig 250 and 938, Kahr pm9 (although I rented the Kahr gun before and helped a friend break in his Kahr and I had nothing but failures) and Glock 30s....any others?

She will be purse carrying.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Have her look at the CZ RAMI, either the standard RAMI or the RAMI BD. The BD as a decocker, the standard RAMI has manual safety. Both are DA/SA. Dimensions are similar to the PPS but standard mag is 10 round, and will accept the CZ 14 round magazine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Congrats to your wife on her accomplisment . I will say on a second note the purse carry she needs to be careful of because the first thing a BG goes after is a purse .

The women forum members may be able to help on the carry options .
    bigpapa, gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    I have a G26 and it is VERY heavy in a purse. I almost never purse carry so that isn't a problem for me, but if I did I would be carrying a lighter weight S&W revolver with a shrouded hammer. Look at the LadySmith models.

Personally, I feel much more secure knowing my gun is on my body. However, I understand that some women will only carry if they can do so in a purse. To each her own.
    gatorbait51, tdave and bigpapa like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have her look at the CZ RAMI, either the standard RAMI or the RAMI BD. The BD as a decocker, the standard RAMI has manual safety. Both are DA/SA. Dimensions are similar to the PPS but standard mag is 10 round, and will accept the CZ 14 round magazine.
    The Kahr K9, P9 or CW9 might also be a choice. Relatively compact, all of them. And the K9 is a dream in the hand, ergonomically (at least for me). Each of these is roughly the size of the Glock 26, though shorter. All are in 9mm.

Another option in the similar size category as the G26 is the H&K P2000SK. Extremely reliable. A bit larger fitment, suitable if she doesn't have smaller hands.

To assist in finding further options: Handgun Database Search @ Genitron.com.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I bought one of those Gun Totn Mama Raven purses which is cross body but I only intend to use it if I'm wearing a dress, like maybe once a year. My intent is to get a good IWB holster for my SIG P238. My next gun to look at will be the P938 and the S&W Lady but that is sometime next year. The next local CC class isn't until March and I intend to be very, very good with my gun before the class. I've heard too many stories about some of the people taking the class who have never handled a handgun and couldn't even get on paper at 7 yards.

My wife originally bought herself a Taurus 85 Ultralite .38 SPL but she didn't care for the recoil or width of the gun. Nor did she care for my Kahr CW9 (flawless in over 1500 rds). She bought herself a S&W Bodyguard380 and after I saw how that made my CW9 look like a cannon, I picked up a Ruger LCP which is a tad smaller than the BG380 and, IMO, a bit more accurate.

Here in Florida it's shorts and t-shirts 10 months of the year and those .380's are easily concealable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

When i first started looking at guns,i did like a lot.I rented a couple at range and shot a couple some of my friends have.

She will have to do what she thinks is best.As stated in the other posts,she really needs to be careful with purse carry.I do but it's rare.To many purses gets snatched,but there are times,there isn't any other option.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Don't forget revolvers, as well. A decently heavy (24-27oz) revolver with 3in barrel can be quite a defensive weapon. Check out the Ruger SP-101 or similarly-sized S&W offerings such as the Model 60. In .357mag they can be devastating. And even in .38sp+P they can be formidable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My wife shot 10-12 380's, 9mm's and .40's. She ended up picking the Ruger sr40c. She has smaller hands and she was the most comfortable with it. I will admit I was curious if she would be able to CC with it, but was surprised just how well it does conceal. She's 5'4" 130

She did try revolvers but the kick was just a little much. In our case she wanted a CC and range gun, and sr40c fit the need. Her second choice was the shield, glocks were last. Hands just couldn't grip it properly.
    gatorbait51 and 88keys like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Don't forget revolvers, as well. A decently heavy (24-27oz) revolver with 3in barrel can be quite a defensive weapon. Check out the Ruger SP-101 or similarly-sized S&W offerings such as the Model 60. In .357mag they can be devastating. And even in .38sp+P they can be formidable.
    Yeah, those are great guns and a "decently heavy gun" is easier to shoot because it absorbs more recoil - but a "decently heavy" gun is also going to be a literal pain in the shoulder to carry in a purse. Unless you are a lot bigger and stronger woman than I am.............

My S&W 60 and my G26 weigh "next to nothing" in a Remora or kydex IWB on my side, but they are horrendously heavy in a purse. That's my female perspective anyway. And I am just one woman.
    gatorbait51 and AustinArmory like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

You mentioned the sig p250, have you considered the p290?

It's a lot smaller than the p250, is DAO, and doesn't have a safety.
    gatorbait51 and AustinArmory like this.

VIP Member
    Congrats to the missus!

The SCCY CPX-2's have been getting some pretty good reviews. I think it's roughly the size of the G26, if not a bit smaller/thinner, with the same round count.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Congrats to your wife now it's fun time now.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links