Walther PPQ-What a honey!

This is a discussion on Walther PPQ-What a honey! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 10 year old's school had parent teacher conferences last Thursday. He was concerned, as we all were in those days. So we went. All ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Walther PPQ-What a honey!

Walther PPQ-What a honey!

My 10 year old's school had parent teacher conferences last Thursday. He was concerned, as we all were in those days. So we went. All hands were pleased to see the As.

I've been teaching him a very simple (and nearly extinct) rule: When you do the work, you get paid. When you don't do the work, you do not get paid.

He did the work. Mom and Dad are proud. So the next day Dad went to the shop. My son is also a big James Bond fan, so a Walther was in order. A friend shoots a P99. He loves it, but recommended the PPQ, as did C Hawk. The trigger felt great in the shop, ergos are equally outstanding. My son has been lusting for a PPQ, so I got him one. This is the M2 model with the traditional mag release. He likes my M&P compact, but his eyes just about came loose at the range today when I pulled his new Walther out. Time to shoot it.

And man, does it shoot.

Trigger was at least as good as I expected, and I expected a good deal from it. Ergos were nearly perfect. I think I'd prefer the large strap, but the medium that was on the gun will fit the boy's hands better, so it'll stay on. Accuracy was better than any other polymer gun I've shot, right there with my SIGs. I don't shoot well enough to know what this gun can really do, but it is excellent. My son was laying 'em right in there. Did very well on the plate rack, too.

Man, I wish I'd have bought this gun awhile ago. I really can't find anything to grouch about. At all.

I'm impressed with his skill, although his mother is a bit horrified. I told her I'd rather spend 550 on a gun that he will enjoy for a long time and actually has some use than blow it on a Wii U that destroys grades and attitudes.

All in all, money well spent. Highly recommended.

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations on your purchase.

Congratulations, as well, to your son on his academic performance.

I am sure you willl enjoy the PPQ, I know I certainly like mine.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Honestly that accuracy will shock you. Very little is talked about with the PPQ's accuracy, but it's very impressive. Look how clean the machine work is on the slide when you take it apart, it does not have all the valleys and grooves like other polymers. You will notice this when you go to clean it. The trigger is just sweet as sweet gets for a polymer! It's the most underrated firearm made right now, in my opinion. Enjoy man!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I'd rather spend 550 on a gun that he will enjoy for a long time and actually has some use than blow it on a Wii
    Can I get a loud AMEN for that? Good move, brother!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks a lot multistage. You ruined everything. I just picked up a Red Rider BB gun for my 10 year old. How am I going to compete now!
    Nice reward for your son with a quality weapon. My son actually shot my G19 and did pretty well.

Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    My 10 year old's school had parent teacher conferences last Thursday. He was concerned, as we all were in those days. So we went. All hands were pleased to see the As.

I've been teaching him a very simple (and nearly extinct) rule: When you do the work, you get paid. When you don't do the work, you do not get paid.

He did the work. Mom and Dad are proud. So the next day Dad went to the shop. My son is also a big James Bond fan, so a Walther was in order. A friend shoots a P99. He loves it, but recommended the PPQ, as did C Hawk. The trigger felt great in the shop, ergos are equally outstanding. My son has been lusting for a PPQ, so I got him one. This is the M2 model with the traditional mag release. He likes my M&P compact, but his eyes just about came loose at the range today when I pulled his new Walther out. Time to shoot it.

And man, does it shoot.

Trigger was at least as good as I expected, and I expected a good deal from it. Ergos were nearly perfect. I think I'd prefer the large strap, but the medium that was on the gun will fit the boy's hands better, so it'll stay on. Accuracy was better than any other polymer gun I've shot, right there with my SIGs. I don't shoot well enough to know what this gun can really do, but it is excellent. My son was laying 'em right in there. Did very well on the plate rack, too.

Man, I wish I'd have bought this gun awhile ago. I really can't find anything to grouch about. At all.

I'm impressed with his skill, although his mother is a bit horrified. I told her I'd rather spend 550 on a gun that he will enjoy for a long time and actually has some use than blow it on a Wii U that destroys grades and attitudes.

All in all, money well spent. Highly recommended.

VIP Member
    Question for you OP. Are you sure you know who actually got the present for the hard work and good grades?

Is a $500.00 gun the kid can use only with adult supervision and not fully enjoy as his own "toy" for many
    years to come, really a present to the kid?

I know, in your household it will be called "Kiddo's gun," but still, now would be a good time to go
    buy him something age appropriate that will be unequivocally his 100% of the time.

(The voice of experience speaking too. I made a similar mistake with a different item, one that the kid needed
    dad to help him with-- a gasoline powered model airplane. I quickly learned that my perception that I'd given him a present didn't jibe with his perception that dad bought what dad wanted to play with. Now, 28 years later I know that single episode was one of my biggest parenting mistakes, though I didn't recognize it at the time. It caused some long term resentment. Go get him something that is his 100% of the time, and offer up an apology of some sort. )
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    What a great idea!

Stove Jr. is an honor student so I see a lot of guns in his/my future....

Got to go check on when report cards come out next....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Question for you OP. Are you sure you know who actually got the present for the hard work and good grades?

Is a $500.00 gun the kid can use only with adult supervision and not fully enjoy as his own "toy" for many

I know, in your household it will be called "Kiddo's gun," but still, now would be a good time to go
    buy him something age appropriate that will be unequivocally his 100% of the time.

(The voice of experience speaking too. I made a similar mistake with a different item, one that the kid needed
    dad to help him with-- a gasoline powered model airplane. I quickly learned that my perception that I'd given him a present didn't jibe with his perception that dad bought what dad wanted to play with. Now, 28 years later I know that single episode was one of my biggest parenting mistakes, though I didn't recognize it at the time. It caused some long term resentment. Go get him something that is his 100% of the time, and offer up an apology of some sort. )
    Good advice, but it depends on the kid. I was a kid that was fascinated by firearms since I could remember, and this is how I got many of my first firearms. My grandfather would do just as Multistage, and I could not wait to get out and shoot them. Once I got old enough, trained, and responsible; they were given to me. I have an old double barrel 20ga that my grandfather gave me years ago, and I passed on a Marlin .22 to my nephew. How cool is that?
    multistage likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Well, a great Dad=his weight in gold,
    A great handgun=$550
    A wonderful and responsible son=priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Good advice, but it depends on the kid. I was a kid that was fascinated by firearms since I could remember, and this is how I got many of my first firearms. My grandfather would do just as Multistage, and I could not wait to get out and shoot them. Once I got old enough, trained, and responsible; they were given to me. I have an old double barrel 20ga that my grandfather gave me years ago, and I passed on a Marlin .22 to my nephew. How cool is that?
    It's pretty darn cool.

He's ready. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have it. Been shooting with me all summer. He has yet to screw up. He knows that the game continues as long as he does it right, and ends when he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

I know who it's for, thanks very much. I have many others to choose from for my own use.

I reckon I'll keep my own council in my house. Mind yourself. At the risk of getting barked at by a mod, that pissed me off.

Like Hickok45 I really enjoy watching his (VDMA) gun videos
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Reset is really nice on the ppq. I have the older HK style mag release, but still like it even thought the 40 is a bit snappy.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I adore my M1 PPQ, myself.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Walther has been building outstanding firearms for over 100 years. It's a shame not many really paid them any attention until the P99 was released in '95. Their attention to detail, machine work, fit, and finish is second to no one in the European firearms industry.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links