Range report on my New old Commander

This is a discussion on Range report on my New old Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, first off , the gun was made in 1972 not 1975. Apparently not too many of those little beasties were made . Not too ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By gatorbait51
  • 1 Post By ugh762x39
  • 1 Post By gatorbait51

Thread: Range report on my New old Commander

VIP Member

Wink Range report on my New old Commander

Okay, first off , the gun was made in 1972 not 1975. Apparently not too many of those little beasties were made . Not too many sold in the US and apparently very few in the Northeast. That's said let's get on with the fun part!

Took it to the local indoor range and 60 rounds of ammo. 50 Armscor 130 gr FMJ and one mag full of Silvertips. First five were embarrassing, missed 3 and barely got 2 on target. Gun was fine, misses were all me. Adjusted for the missing 3/4" ,and things got much better. The gun is as tight as the day it left the factory, great groups and only slighter higher recoil than with with a full sized Government model ,basically negligible. Finished up, realized that the GI pimples were tough to see, so, put some white lacquer on the front site, let it cure then some deep Latina red nail polish over that. PERFECT!

The Super is a perfect fit, carries well, and has exceeded my expectations . When i broke it down to clean and lube it, I realized that this was the first time that's ever happened with this pistol. When I took grips off , I noted the preservative was still under them, looked over the gun, yep, all kinds of it . More cleaning. More fitting, more Colt goodness. The grips are originals , the springs are firm,all in all, I'm pretty happy with this one.

I forgot how much I like the Commander platform, now I am jonesing for another one.. c'mon, just one more, I can stop .. yeah, that's right . ....
    Last edited by gatorbait51; November 10th, 2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Fumble fingers
    ugh762x39, WHEC724, 40Bob and 5 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Great for you!!! If I ever stop shooting/carrying my full-sized, that's the way I want to go. I'm glad you're so happy with it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

VIP Member
    I shall rotate it with my Full sized Colts . Now i have 2 Series 70s and a Series 80. all in .38 Super . I like tacos, what can I say?

Thank you for your thoughts!
    WHEC724 likes this.

Pics or it didn't happen lol

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Congratulations! Enjoy it and I'm sure it will only be one more.

A .38 Super Colt Commander is (IMHO) among the finest fight-guns available ANYwhere. Well done!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Adjusted for the missing 3/4"...
    hmmm.

When I read "130g" the first thing I thought of was 130g .38SPL bullets that tend to shoot low. (My S&W M64 is regulated for 158g bullets.) I couldn't figure out whether it is a Colt that you're talking about (versus, say, an RIA .38Super). I was surprised to read that there was creosote in the gun.

Congrats on your find. Picture, please. That's when Colt had nice finishes on their pieces. If so, double congrats and a hand clap. (How come there's no :clap: smiley? )

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Okay, first off , the gun was made in 1972 not 1975. Apparently not too many of those little beasties were made . Not too many sold in the US and apparently very few in the Northeast. That's said let's get on with the fun part!

Took it to the local indoor range and 60 rounds of ammo. 50 Armscor 130 gr FMJ and one mag full of Silvertips. First five were embarrassing, missed 3 and barely got 2 on target. Gun was fine, misses were all me. Adjusted for the missing 3/4" ,and things got much better. The gun is as tight as the day it left the factory, great groups and only slighter higher recoil than with with a full sized Government model ,basically negligible. Finished up, realized that the GI pimples were tough to see, so, put some white lacquer on the front site, let it cure then some deep Latina red nail polish over that. PERFECT!

The Super is a perfect fit, carries well, and has exceeded my expectations . When i broke it down to clean and lube it, I realized that this was the first time that's ever happened with this pistol. When I took grips off , I noted the preservative was still under them, looked over the gun, yep, all kinds of it . More cleaning. More fitting, more Colt goodness. The grips are originals , the springs are firm,all in all, I'm pretty happy with this one.

I forgot how much I like the Commander platform, now I am jonesing for another one.. c'mon, just one more, I can stop .. yeah, that's right . ....

I new you were a freak. Congrats on the gun.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Links