Glock 22 or low price 1911

This is a discussion on Glock 22 or low price 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im think about making a new gun purchase. I have narrowed my options down to two pistols; full size Glock or a low price 1911 ...

View Poll Results: Glock 22 or low price 1911

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 22

17 48.57%

18 51.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Glock 22 or low price 1911

Im think about making a new gun purchase. I have narrowed my options down to two pistols; full size Glock or a low price 1911 - probably a Remington R1. I have always wanted a 1911, the only 1911s I like are the GI models with blued finish.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I don't have much knowledge on the Remington R1, if it has good reviews maybe. The Glock 22 is a workhorse and would serve anyone well. However the 1911 may serve you well with the NY mag limit.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I was in the same place as you not to long ago. I wanted to give Glock a try and wanted to go back to carrying a full size pistol. I also wanted to get a nice used GI 1911. It happened that a good deal on a Glock 22 came available before the 1911. Also I still can't quite decide on which manufacturer of 1911s I want.

I have really enjoyed my Glock 22 and am glad that I spent my money on the Glock first.

As far as which one, its six to one half dozen another. Both are great service size pistols. If you already own a Glock I would go with the 1911. If not I would suggest getting the Glock and then take your time finding exactly which 1911 you want.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

I assume you have worked on and fix 1911s? I have found that most cheep 1911 either run great out of the box or turn into money pits to make them run right. My local forom has as gunsmith who does a lot of 1911 and he does not speak well of most cheep 1911 out there .

For me the only selling point of a 1911 for you is you are in NY state . I am correct that you can only load 7 rounds in a mag can you still leagl buy a gun with 10 round mags?? And pre ban mags are now illeagl?

To me a 1911 is a great ban state gun because about the biggest mag that works ok in mos of them are 10 rounds ( yeah I know there are stick mags but they are hit and miss) so no chance of running into problems cause you only have 7 round mag no bigger no chace to over load.

That said if if you want to get a glock get the biggest caliber you can . Cause if I am only stuck with 7 rounds they better be big. So I would get a 45 / 460 rowland or 10mm ( and a 40 conversion ) glock .

Any other state I would say either save up and get a nice 1911 or just get a glock 17 or 22 . But you are dealing with a state where it takes a while to get a gun and you are stuck with it and only 7 rounds so that makes matters compilcated ..
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    You need both.
    Stoveman, OD*, blitzburgh and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    With the ridiculous magazine restrictions you all have, get the 1911. Owning a full sized double stack pistol that I had to have 7 round magazines for would just make me too mad. My head would explode if I even tried it.

The budget 1911s aren't going to be the same as a $2500 1911, but most of them work just fine. If they don't there is no reason to sink a fortune into the gun to try to make it work. Send it back to the factory and let them make it right. Even companies with horrible quality control usually get it right when their service department works on a customer's gun.
    PAcanis and gatorbait51 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I voted for the Glock 22 for no other reason than the lower price 1911's are more likely to need work to make them reliable enough for carry.

Jim
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Because you live in NY I vote 1911.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I like the Glock .40 cal because I can get Lonewolf conversion barrels in .357 sig and 9mm. With the 1911 I could be stuck buying expensive 45 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by wcearp View Post
    I was in the same place as you not to long ago. I wanted to give Glock a try and wanted to go back to carrying a full size pistol. I also wanted to get a nice used GI 1911. It happened that a good deal on a Glock 22 came available before the 1911. Also I still can't quite decide on which manufacturer of 1911s I want.

I have really enjoyed my Glock 22 and am glad that I spent my money on the Glock first.

As far as which one, its six to one half dozen another. Both are great service size pistols. If you already own a Glock I would go with the 1911. If not I would suggest getting the Glock and then take your time finding exactly which 1911 you want.
    Richard58 and gatorbait51 like this.

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    I'd use the money for gas and get the heck out of NY! (kidding, kidding.....I respect the heck out of the people of NY, as well as the amazing landscape....it truly is the EMPIRE state)

I vote 1911, but only because of the fascist ban on mag capacity........It scares me how easily our rights can be taken away....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by condition1blog View Post
    I like the Glock .40 cal because I can get Lonewolf conversion barrels in .357 sig and 9mm. With the 1911 I could be stuck buying expensive 45 ammo.
    The man from Buffalo is a smart person. Get the Glock...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

haha, Ive been trying to get out of this state for a long time, I currently work for a large company that has promised to transfer me to the southwest in a couple years IF I work hard. So Ive been coming in an hour early everyday.

the new mag limits in NY are ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelyfun101 View Post
    I'd use the money for gas and get the heck out of NY! (kidding, kidding.....I respect the heck out of the people of NY, as well as the amazing landscape....it truly is the EMPIRE state)

I vote 1911, but only because of the fascist ban on mag capacity........It scares me how easily our rights can be taken away....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Is there a spot in my user control panel where I can put a D in front of my name? This poll only let me vote once

I say go with the 1911. There's a reason you, and so many others, are drawn to it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Over the 32 years we've been married my hubby has had a few 1911's.............mostly because "a man should have a 1911". You know - like "a man's gotta have a truck........."....

Every single one of those 1911's has been traded in for something he actually enjoyed shooting in either .40 cal or .45. Now his handgun collection consists of S&W revolvers and Glocks. And he's not looking to trade guns every couple months like he used to do.

And, on the other hand, we know guys who wouldn't shoot anything that wasn't a 1911. So there ya' go
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by condition1blog View Post
    Im think about making a new gun purchase. I have narrowed my options down to two pistols; full size Glock or a low price 1911 - probably a Remington R1. I have always wanted a 1911, the only 1911s I like are the GI models with blued finish.
    I am not sure you can buy a Glock 22, or if you do that you can get a NY-Legal magazine for it. The least expensive Remington R1 comes with 7 round magazines. So do some other 1911's. The Glock 36 should be legal in NY. It comes standard with 6 round magazines. I had a Glock 36. It was great. I wish I hadn't sold it.

The SIG C3, RCS, and Ultra (good carry pistols quite a bit lighter than a full size all steel 1911) all come with 7 round magazines. So do most officer's grip length 1911's. Kimber makes some. Springfield Armory makes some.

The Springfield Armory Range Officer model comes with two seven round magazines. That said, you can buy 7 round magazines for any full size 1911.

Go to the 1911 Forum and read about 200 threads for Remington, Springfield Armory, and SIG. You will learn a lot.

I have a SIG C3. It's been flawless.

1911's sometimes need to be fluffed and buffed before they are as reliable as the striker fired polymer pistols. But they will work. If I could only have a 7 round magazine, I'd like it filled with .45ACP.

Fitch
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links