To sell or not to sell that is is question.

This is a discussion on To sell or not to sell that is is question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is my dilemma. I bought a used S&W 5906 about 6 months ago and I love it. It is a great shooter accurate ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: To sell or not to sell that is is question.

So here is my dilemma. I bought a used S&W 5906 about 6 months ago and I love it. It is a great shooter accurate as all get out and has very little felt recoil. Now as I knew when I bought it, it is heavy. Almost 40oz loaded. When I bought it I planned on using it for IDPA and winter carry, it fits those niches perfectly. However it is just not very comfortable IWB even with a hybrid holster and a double layer leather belt, this makes CC a little difficult and I never ended up doing IDPA. So I am throwing around the idea of selling it and buying an SR9. What are your opinions? Should I sell it and get something lighter or keep the robust, proven and timeless 5906 and start saving for a lighter carry gun.

Also, I do have a j-frame sized revolver for light weight carry but sometimes I like to have more than 5 rounds.

Thanks,

Teach

I vote keep it, carry the J-Frame and save for another carry gun. But then, I've never sold a handgun.

Sell it. Get yourself that SR9 or better yet the SR9c if you plan to carry it on a regular basis. With the extra 17 round mag it can double as an HD and CC gun.
    Bruiser419 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I've never shot one but always thought they were nice looking. If you like it and its reliable I would keep it. You could always use it as your "house" gun and get something lighter later. But this is just my opinion.

from personal experience, keep it. I sold a 4006 .40 S&W, the first handgun I ever bought. I sold it after I got of the service. It was a great shooting gun and to this day I regret selling. I sold it because I thought I really wanted a Colt King Cobra .357 mag, which I sold because I really wanted and M&P .40, which I sold because I was moving back to NY, and never actually moved back. The point is, even if you dont use it, you will regret it selling or trading it. You have a more than suitable CC gun in your J-frame. Carry that, use the 5906 for home defense, and save up to get what you want. BTW, the ruger SR, while lighter than your 5906, is still by no means a lightweight gun being tht it is fullsize. If you are looking for a nice blend of concealability with capacity, the SR9C may be right up your ally. I EDC an SR40C, and I love it. I am also wanting to add a SR9 as well as an SR45 :)
    Logic and Hoganbeg like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Keep it. MO is an OC state so there is that option, and you have the snub.

Save your shekels and get something else that is smaller/lighter for CC....

VIP Member
    My 5f 4 inch nephew carries a FS M&P .40

It ain't too hard. It is a tad on the heavy side. Do what you want, but I'd not sell a S&W for a Ruger semi, anyday
    I have a 6904 and had a 6906 as well but sold it off.
    Currently have an M&Pc .357 sig as a main carry, as well as other miscellaneous assortments to vast to mention here.

I'd keep it and find another carry.
    Selling guns is not something I do but once in a blue moon.
    Logic and Eric357 like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Dont sell it , mine is hidden in the master bathroom and in the event of a home invation the plan is my wife hides in the bathroom while I deal with the situation. This gun will sit there without being afected by humidity or whatever. Also for boating or heavy labor this one will go with me. That weight and the 9mm caliber makes it very stable for people that dont handle recoil too well. It is a go to gun at home.

Keep it! Just get a OWB holster for it and put on a jacket or coat. It is starting to get cold enough in MO to justify a jacket. It should still fit the roll of winter carry just fine. You just aren't liking the holster setup, not the gun.
    Eric357 and StormRhydr like this.

My vote would be to keep it as well.. You could save the money quicker than you think!The SR9c would be a better choice if you wanted to go with SR and you could always get finger extension mags to get that full size grip. Have 2 of them for my M&P 9Shield.. It's kind of an awkward feel to have your pinky just hangin like that.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I vote keep it if you have the funds to buy another pistol. You can always sell it later if you need the cash.

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    My vote is also to keep it. If you sell it, pretty much surely one day you will regret selling it and wish it was still in your stable.

Save up for the latest gun your craving/needing (it never ends). Moe guns = moe better .
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Guns come and go around my house, unless they have sentimental value . Other than that, it's just another gun. If it doesn't suit you, and you can't use, can't afford to have one for every need, then get rid of it and get something you can use.

Don't think about it too much.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm with most of the other posters here. Never sell a gun you really like. I did that ONCE and wound up paying more than twice as much for one "like it" this past year. The new one is really NOT the old one. I will not -- not --not - again sell a gun I really like.
    oneshot and gottabkiddin like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Thanks guys, I needed someone to talk me into keeping it. I do really like it and with my OWB desantis holster it is comfortable to carry but other than that I haven't found a good way to carry it. The only problem I have with my OWB is it is black and I own a brown belt so I will have to buy matching belt and mag carrier.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links