Dumb Ruger P345 mag safety/disconnect removal question

This is a discussion on Dumb Ruger P345 mag safety/disconnect removal question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I have what is probably a dumb question. I picked up a used p345 today. My understanding is the P345 has a mag safety/disconnect. ...

Thread: Dumb Ruger P345 mag safety/disconnect removal question

Ok I have what is probably a dumb question. I picked up a used p345 today. My understanding is the P345 has a mag safety/disconnect. Does that mean the trigger will not pull back and drop the hammer when the magazine is not in?

I ask because the gun seems to fire (dry firing with snap cap) even when the mag is not in. The hammer comes back and falls when no mag is in.

I personally would rather not have a mag safety and if this one has been removed properly then great. I am worried that if it has been altered by someone other than me that it might not have been done properly.

So is this normal for a stock P345? If not how do you remove it? I have never removed one on any of my guns? Any chance the gun could have been messed up? Anything I need to look for to make sure it was done right?

Go to you tube and look for videos Ruger P345 magazine disconnect removal. I have a Ruger SR 9c and it took about 5 minutes to remove Mag disconnect. But since this is a hammer fired I don't know if the disconnect is part of the slide or part of the fire control. Sorry that I could be of more help but maybe I have pointed you in the right direction.

As fat as I know all rugers use a physical firing pin block that is pushed out of the way when a mag is inserted. The trigger will pull and release but the firing pin cannot travel far enough to strike the primer. This is the set up used by my SR40c. I would advise against dry firing without a mag as the pin block could cause excess stress on the firing pin but I am no engineer. Removal should be fairly simple .... It took 5 minutes to remove it from my sr40c

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

DO NOT DRY FIRE THE 345 WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED. I'm shouting this because you will damage the firing mechanism and the gun will not fire. You may have already damaged it!

I would test it by putting the mag in place (be sure gun is unloaded) put a pencil down the barrel eraser first. Aim the gun upward, and when you squeeze the trigger, the hammer blow should eject the pencil. If the pencil doesn't move, you'll need to send the gun back to Ruger

Thanks after doing some research I see what you are saying about the potential damage. I want to add that one reason i did it was I watched Ruger's offical video on disamblely and reassembly and he dry fires it al least 3 times with out the mag.

While I was watching the video, it made me think of how hte magazing safety works and prompted me to ask this question.

If it is to the point where it can cause problems with just a few dryfires then you would think they wouldn't do it on their offical video.

Watch toward the end where he checks to make sure everything is working properly and he dry fires it with no mag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM9j3XW3bBc

[YouTube]gM9j3XW3bBc[/YouTube]

As a safety check I don't think it would be harmful but repeated dry firing such as dry fire training could possibly cause harm. I would call ruger and get their official response and follow it

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Just as an aside, I was watching when my smithy put my night sights on, and I believe the mag safety plunger and spring are actually held in place by the rear sight. So removal of the sight is necessary to remove the mag safety.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    Just as an aside, I was watching when my smithy put my night sights on, and I believe the mag safety plunger and spring are actually held in place by the rear sight. So removal of the sight is necessary to remove the mag safety.
    This is possible, the M&P shield is this way. However, on the SR40C, the firing pin block and spring are housed inside the slide. Removal is as simple as remove the slide, remove the striker plate, remove the firing pin, pull out the firing pin block and spring, and reassemble in reverse order, sans firing pin block and spring.
    ~Daniel Webster

Links