Ruger LC-9 or S&W 642 as a Pocket Gun/BUG?

This is a discussion on Ruger LC-9 or S&W 642 as a Pocket Gun/BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which one would you pick of JUST THESE two choices?...

View Poll Results: Ruger LC-9 or S&W 642 as Pocket Gun/BUG?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LC-9

7 18.42%
  • S&W 642

31 81.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger LC-9 or S&W 642 as a Pocket Gun/BUG?

Which one would you pick of JUST THESE two choices?

As a "Pocket Gun/ Backup Gun (Bug), to a Primary carry, I would have to go with the narrower profile of the LC9.

For a self defense carry, I have heard much negative on the LC9 and much positive on the 642. I would certainly prefer a 9mm over a .38 Spcl, personally, but I do not have personal experience with either of these specific models.
    I would like to test the LC9 for myself and I do love my J-frames on occasion with +P ammo, but I never carry a BUG anymore (I'll take my chances with one sidearm).
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

My LC9 has performed flawlessly and ate at least 6 brands of ammo with zero issues. Everyone complains about the trigger and other safety features and all of them I find as a bonus as well. The trigger is really sweet when you get accustomed to pulling it back. I would think it big and heave for pocket carry. I also have the LCP which I am also very very fond of.

I'm a 642 guy, and highly recommend it.

I don't have an LC9.

IMHO, the lc9 is too big for a pocket gun, so I said 642. However, if your pockets are big enough that you can conceal and draw an lc9, it might be the better choice.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

J frame all the way everyday.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

S&W 642. The LC9 has terrible trigger. Very crude feeling IMO. I own 2 DAO handguns (Sig P250C in 9mm & Kahr PM9) with triggers that put the LC9's DAO trigger to shame. Like night & day. I have 2 buddies who owned LC9's & BOTH sold them off in short order. I tried one buddies LC9 out & shot the worst I ever have in my life with it. I also experienced several FTF during the same range session.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

EDC pocket carry a 442. I don't have an lcp, but do have a shield 9. Speed of deployment is MUCH faster with the snubby.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you dress appropriately, either one will conceal well.

dscf8101.jpg
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

j frame no lock all the way.

I dont want a gun with a internal lock..

Trigger can be fixed and nights sights can be added . If they made a no lock lc9 I get it and fix it up but lock no sales .

Honeslty I like slim 380/9 single stacks but khar and lc9 are the only ones I wont buy till I have plenty of time and money to make sure I will have no issues.

If my only choice was lock model 642 and lc9 I would get the lc9 cause the lock seem to go more on s&w then rugers . But in case I would buy neither if I had the choice

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    j frame no lock all the way.

I dont want a gun with a internal lock..

Trigger can be fixed and nights sights can be added . If they made a no lock lc9 I get it and fix it up but lock no sales .

Honeslty I like slim 380/9 single stacks but khar and lc9 are the only ones I wont buy till I have plenty of time and money to make sure I will have no issues.

If my only choice was lock model 642 and lc9 I would get the lc9 cause the lock seem to go more on s&w then rugers . But in case I would buy neither if I had the choice
    ???????????????????????????????????????

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    No contest here; 642
    "Just blame Sixto"

S&W 642 for a pocket gun

I have a Kahr PM9 I purchased thinking it would be adequate for pocket carry. Problem is with the grip angles and all it was like trying to stick a VHS tape in my pocket. To my surprise it printed much more than a J- frame. Drawing the weapon was also problematic with the angles. The flat grip also made grasping quickly difficult. The J-frame was much simpler in all respects. Despite trying to make it work I now pocket carry either a 642 or an LCP if going that route. I would advise you to ask the shop owner if after taking everything out of your pocket if you could try just slipping it in for comparison sake. There is a reason why so many carry a snubby in a pocket. It just works.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    For pocket carry I far prefer the rounded edges of a revo. A pocket carry environment is full of lint, dust and crud; therefore the revolver's more debris resistant mechanism is favored. A hammer less wheel gun has the added benefit of being able to fire through the pocket in dire emergency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links