I wish I didn't hate the Glock 17

This is a discussion on I wish I didn't hate the Glock 17 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a Glock guy. They just seem to fit my align with what I want in a pistol. Reliability, simplicity, all that good stuff. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: I wish I didn't hate the Glock 17

I wish I didn't hate the Glock 17

I'm a Glock guy. They just seem to fit my align with what I want in a pistol. Reliability, simplicity, all that good stuff. I have recently been looking to upgrade my HD gun from a G19 to a full size pistol. I figured the extra couple rounds and added sight radius couldn't hurt. I naturally looked to the G17 since my primary IWB carry is a G26 and my HD gun up to that point was a G19. I love both of those guns. I really like the idea of a full size pistol that can share mags with my primary carry in case I need to use it as a backup or give it to a 3rd party like my gal in HD situation.

So why don't I like the G17? I know that comfort is subjective... But the G17 is without a doubt the most uncomfortable pistol I have ever hand in my hands. It's almost painful to hold. That massive hump at the at the bottom back of the grip... It's horrible for me. It's like it was designed for an alien hand with 9 fingers or something... I know it's one of the most popular duty guns around. I know it's one of the most popular HD guns around. I just can't get over the grip. I have help a 17 on multiple occasions and always went into it thinking to myself "Ok, the grip isn't that big of a deal" and then a few mins later I always find myself thinking 'OMG THIS IS LIKE HOLDING AN ELECTRIC EEL COATED IN BATTERY ACID WEARING A COAT MADE OF PORCUPINE NEEDLES AND SALT". I want to love the 17 but I just can't get over the ergos :(
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

That's odd. I started with a G17, migrated to a G26, and then a G36. I never thought about it like that. I need to pull it out of the safe and see if I do the same thing. I do like your description of holding it. Sounds like love.

I'm with ya on this one. I love the way a Glock 19/23/32 sits in my hand. Not so much my two G17's and G31. I still shoot them ok, but for some reason I just am not a "fanboy" of the full size Glocks. The only reason I still have the G17's is because......well, no Glock collection is complete without one, and I could not pass up the price on the OD Green G31.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    So why don't I like the G17? I always find myself thinking 'OMG THIS IS LIKE HOLDING AN ELECTRIC EEL COATED IN BATTERY ACID WEARING A COAT MADE OF PORCUPINE NEEDLES AND SALT". I want to love the 17 but I just can't get over the ergos :(
    Is it a Gen 4? Hubby has a Gen 4 model 27. I picked it up the other day and it felt: YEP - like I had a hand full of porcupine needles and salt!

My Gen 3 model 17 is a total honey of a gun. Grip fits my hand just fine and it shoots like a dream.
    gatorbait51 and GlockHawk17 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    I'm with you. That is why my 17 has a 19-sized grip.
    gatorbait51 and DRM like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Sorry to hear that. The G17 is my all time favorite pistol in my collection of pistols. I have a gen 2 and gen 3. I have large hands and I can always get a solid grip and draw from holster. However to each his own, right? I have a G26 and have to make a whole bunch of accommodations and alterations to make it more user friendly to me. As a matter of fact I sold one of my G26's last week. My G19 comes in second on the like/love meter after the G17.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've tried both the gen 4 and gen 3 full sizes and find both as equally uncomfortable. I love both the gen 4 and gen 3 compacts and sub sub compacts though

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Is it a Gen 4? Hubby has a Gen 4 model 27. I picked it up the other day and it felt: YEP - like I had a hand full of porcupine needles and salt!

My Gen 3 model 17 is a total honey of a gun. Grip fits my hand just fine and it shoots like a dream.
    gatorbait51 and zonker1986 like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm a Glock guy. They just seem to fit my align with what I want in a pistol. Reliability, simplicity, all that good stuff. I have recently been looking to upgrade my HD gun from a G19 to a full size pistol. I figured the extra couple rounds and added sight radius couldn't hurt. I naturally looked to the G17 since my primary IWB carry is a G26 and my HD gun up to that point was a G19. I love both of those guns. I really like the idea of a full size pistol that can share mags with my primary carry in case I need to use it as a backup or give it to a 3rd party like my gal in HD situation.

So why don't I like the G17? I know that comfort is subjective... But the G17 is without a doubt the most uncomfortable pistol I have ever hand in my hands. It's almost painful to hold. That massive hump at the at the bottom back of the grip... It's horrible for me. It's like it was designed for an alien hand with 9 fingers or something... I know it's one of the most popular duty guns around. I know it's one of the most popular HD guns around. I just can't get over the grip. I have help a 17 on multiple occasions and always went into it thinking to myself "Ok, the grip isn't that big of a deal" and then a few mins later I always find myself thinking 'OMG THIS IS LIKE HOLDING AN ELECTRIC EEL COATED IN BATTERY ACID WEARING A COAT MADE OF PORCUPINE NEEDLES AND SALT". I want to love the 17 but I just can't get over the ergos :(
    Sometimes, you just can't......

Have you handled a Gen 2 yet? There seems to be a few people (myself included) that prefer the Gen 2 grip and frame on the full size and the Gen 3 on the compacts.

The Gen 3 didn't just add finger groves to the grip. There was an ever so slight change to the hump and frame itself on the Gen 3. Also there are a lot of people who are like you. The hump on the full size Glock sits lower and the finger groves are set a little differently. If the Gen 2 doesn't solve your dislike of the full size then just get some Glock 17 mags for your 19. And the hell with the extra little bit of sight radius. If your accurate with the 19 then your accurate.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Have you considered getting the grip chopped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I started out with a Gen. 2 G22 way back when, almost 20 years ago. I too prefer the compact Glocks over the full size 9/.40 guns.

I did feel a slight pang of desire when JD put up his cut and Mod'ed. G17.

I guess I'm a little odd. When I was choosing between the G17 and G19 for my first handgun to buy, I chose the G17 because it felt so much better in my hand. I still absolutely love the way my Gen 4 G17 fits my hand...the grip texture and all. Maybe because it's the only center-fire handgun I own and I'm used to it. I recently have handled Gen 3 G19's (what was available) in trying to choose between the G19 or G26 for my next carry gun, and they still don't feel right to me...although I could/would definitely overcome and adapt if I ever need to.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

That's funny, because I was the opposite--the full-sized Glock frames worked great for me, but the 19...nope.

It was the one pistol I wanted to love, but just plain couldn't. I think I bought and sold three of them at different times before I finally just realized it wasn't for me.

Oddly enough, though, the G26 and 36 worked great...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have but if i am going to go through all that I would just assume stick with the G19 since I would be giving up the added capacity. Or just stock G17 mags in my 19. I'm not a huge fan of either one of the options.

Quote Originally Posted by wcearp View Post
    Have you handled a Gen 2 yet? There seems to be a few people (myself included) that prefer the Gen 2 grip and frame on the full size and the Gen 3 on the compacts.

The Gen 3 didn't just add finger groves to the grip. There was an ever so slight change to the hump and frame itself on the Gen 3. Also there are a lot of people who are like you. The hump on the full size Glock sits lower and the finger groves are set a little differently. If the Gen 2 doesn't solve your dislike of the full size then just get some Glock 17 mags for your 19. And the hell with the extra little bit of sight radius. If your accurate with the 19 then your accurate.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Took me awhile to get use to the G22 grip which is the same. The 19/23 feel much more natural.

Best of the best fit for me though is the Gen 2 Glock 19/23.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links