LCP vs 442

This is a discussion on LCP vs 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years ago I began equipping my wife with a handgun that would use the same ammunition as the guns I was carrying and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: LCP vs 442

LCP vs 442

A few years ago I began equipping my wife with a handgun that would use the same ammunition as the guns I was carrying and shooting in IDPA and IPSC matches. It started with a Glock 19 that she mainly kept by the bed and then we drifted through a pair of LCPs, a pair of S&W 642s, a pair of Glock 26s and now we're back to snubbies. She began carrying in a Galco purse that I bought for her birthday (I'm a sensitive kinda guy) and got along well with the weight of the LCP and the j-frame but the G26 got to be a burden after about a year, so now we're back to the snubbies.

Problem is, she's VERY reluctant to go out and practice even once a year to keep familiar with her gun. She's always been reluctant and now she's carrying a S&W 442 that she hasn't even shot; instead relying on her experience three years ago with the 642 which she might have fired 10 rounds through. I think the recoil of a revolver might be a bit stout for her.

Have any of you compared the recoil profile of a 442/642 with +P loads with an LCP? The weight difference is significant ... nearly six ounces less for the LCP ... plus you get the extra two rounds and easier reloads with the magazine-fed LCP. I know, I know - the muzzle velocity and kinetic energy of the LCP is quite a bit less than.38 Special +Ps, but we could live with that if the carry options increased and we could continue carrying the same weapon. I'm not totally averse to the LCP, but have had some reliability issues with the earlier generations. I understand they now come with improved sights and some other goodies (slide lock on last shot?), so perhaps my concerns are not valid.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My wife and son absolutely hate shooting my LCP. It doesn't bother me a bit, but I have more padding in paws.

However, they both can shoot my 637 all day long. Recoil between the two is similar, but I think there's a bigger and more rounded grip to absorb it on the snubby. The LCP basically has a short blade for a grip. Great for concealment, not so great for shooting with fragile hands.

Just load the revolver with lighter loads. Target SWCs or even full WCs.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My wife struggled with her 342 and found it to be too big to easily conceal so we went out and tried an LCP. She really liked it so we bought one with the Crimson Trace laser guard. She can easily shoot tight groups with at 10 yards (as in an inch or two) where she would have trouble keeping the 342 on an 8.5X11 sheet of paper. The LCP is also less painful for her to shoot. We have several hundred rounds through it now with no issues.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Just load the revolver with lighter loads. Target SWCs or even full WCs.
    Good point. +P isn't a requirement for a good defensive round out of a .38.
    Echo_Four and ctr like this.

I would definitely give the nod to the 442 over the LCP! Have you considered the LCR? I recently bought one for my wife and she likes it better than the "J" frame. She shoots it fairly well. IMHO nobody should carry any handgun for self defense if they haven't shot it enough to ascertain that it functions well and where it shoots on paper. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Wife and I have been through many of the same struggles as the OP.

We have tried and tried to make things work, she now carries a Bersa Thunder CC in a belly band and seems to be well pleased with it.

My next purchase will be the same model for me as this little shooter is the best of both worlds, very concealable and great shooter with a very nice trigger.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I'd quit monkeying around and go back to the G-26, if that's possible financially. provided you were proficient with it.
    It's not really that much bigger than what you are looking at now.
    If you want it lighter, just load the thing with 8 or 9 rounds.
    Your still ahead of the game where the other pistols are concerned.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Of the two choices given I'd recommend the 442 over the LCP for anyone that is in the least bit recoil sensitive. The felt recoil in the LCP is stout when compared to the J-frame revolver. I used to regularly run 357 through a 340PD and that didn't seem as harsh as the LCP to me. With regular pressure 38 it doesn't even compare.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Try the LCP with critical defense ammo and a Houge grip. My 25 yr old daughter that never shot a gun before shoots it easily. She is all of 5'2" and 95 lbs.

I have a LCR as well she tried as well and found the revolver was a not for her.

Lighten Up Francis.

I have meesed with both guns get this grip for the 642 Amazon.com: Hogue Rubber Grip S&W J Frame Round Butt Rubber Monogrip: Sports & Outdoors or Amazon.com: Pachmayr Decelerator Grips for S and W, J Frame Round Butt: Sports & Outdoors and a box of these Federal Personal Defense Low Recoil .38 Special 110 Grain Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point for sale - PD38HS3H - Tombstone Tactical or these Hornady .38 Special Critical Defense Lite Ammo and it will be pretty soft gun.

If you do want a lcp put this on it Amazon.com: Hogue Handall Hybrid Ruger LCP Grip Sleeve: Sports & Outdoors and look at Galloway percsion for stuff to make the trigger better . Here is my lcp with the above stuff plus night sigts 20131111_151921.jpg20130818_142019.jpg the othere is my jrame with thouse grip also they make 380 low recoil ammo.

I carry a lot of pocket guns and they are fierce to fire..

The only one I can fire without adding stuff to it is a sig 238 . Maybe look at that it is all metal so soft gun. I know not on the list ..

And yeah if you get post recal lcp they are great . It will not lock open on last round but there is a slide lock on it ( only the tarus tcp locks open on the last round , course the saftey lock does do sometimes ..) also for sights there is a company in SC that put thouse sight on my gun they are true nights and they are great man. They also fluff and buff the gun..

Also I have the bodyguard 380 with rubber grips pretty soft but hard trigger and a pain to take down.

Also I hear 32 mag is a bit of soft round

how about an LCR 22.

Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    how about an LCR 22.

Oooh about a 22 mag lcr??

LCP isn't the easiest gun for a lady to shoot. That said, Hogue grips help, along with trying different rounds.

You really can't go wrong with a j frame. A 442 is tough to beat for.pocket carry. Or belt carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links