S&w 442

S&w 442

This is a discussion on S&w 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a 442 today and I plan on it being my main carry piece for summer and at other times throughout the year. Anything ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: S&w 442

S&w 442

I ordered a 442 today and I plan on it being my main carry piece for summer and at other times throughout the year. Anything that I should do to this handgun when getting it? Will the Hogue grips allow me to use HKS speed loaders without a problem?

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Stock up on plenty of ammo to practice with! Enjoy your new gun!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I've found the "plus" sized grips (Hogue and Pachmayr) to be a bit tight for use with speed loaders, on the 442 Airweight. Isn't anything near as smooth as when using speed loaders with a K-frame revolver, for example, mostly because (at least, in my experience) the loader jams up against the edge of the grips. My alternative was to go to a couple of speed strips instead. Slower loading (for me), but about the only way I could carry 10 additional rounds while assuring myself I could load them if needed.

Might be able to "file" down that section of the grips to accommodate. Never did try that, myself.
    stylus and FireNerd like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Great gun use snubs everyday, milt sparks summer special works great also wear bullards cross draw another winner for j frames I carry low flash short barrel 158 grain buffalo bore really like it.

Any certain brand of speed strips I should look for?

I added Eagle Secret Service grips in checkered Cocobolo. I prefer wood grips because I pocket carry my 442 and their slickness makes for a better draw over sticky rubber grips. You may want to remove or disable the internal lock mechinism.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I added Eagle Secret Service grips in checkered Cocobolo. I prefer wood grips because I pocket carry my 442 and their slickness makes for a better draw over sticky rubber grips. You may want to remove or disable the internal lock mechinism.
    The model I ordered lists it as no lock.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich219 View Post
    Congrats on your new gun!
    Bianchi makes great speed strips. Depending on how smooth the trigger pull is, you may want to have a good gunsmith work on it a bit. Others will suggest dry-firing it a couple thousand times for the same effect. If you're not used to the longer, heavier pull of a revolver, you'll want a lot of practice/range time (but that's the fun part, right?).
    kaikane0812 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I like the Bianchi's.
    mr surveyor likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Great guns . You have a lock or no lock gun ? lock gun 2Mvc-008f.jpg

Here is my old 638 j frame 20130818_142019.jpg the grips are big but low recoil Amazon.com: Hogue Rubber Grip S&W J Frame Round Butt Rubber Monogrip: Sports & Outdoors but I am going to try these for a while they seem to fit the hand good and not to big Amazon.com: Pachmayr Compact Grips for S and W, J Frame Round Butt: Sports & Outdoors also at leat wth my sig this holster was nice Amazon.com: Crimson Trace S and W J-Frame Round Butt, Lasergrip with Holster: Sports & Outdoors nice laser too if you are into that

and for holster I like Amazon.com: Galco Concealable Belt Holster for S&W J Frame 640 Cent 2 1/8-Inch .357 (Havana, Right-hand): Sports & Outdoors but I just got this for my bodyguard and love it and I am planning on trying it soon Amazon.com: DeSantis Mini Scabbard S&W J-Frame Right Hand Black: Sports & Outdoors good cant and hids very well and fits me good . I have try galco pocket holsters Amazon.com: Galco Pocket Protector Holster for S&W J Frame 640 Cent 2 1/8-Inch .357 (Natural, Ambi): Sports & Outdoors not the on pic but they are a bit big for me I might try a remora or de sanits next.

And I have only used this Amazon.com: HKS 36-A Revolver Speedloader for S&W 36, 37, 38, 40, 42,49, 60, 340, 360/ Taurus 85, 605, 651, 851/ Ruger SP101 (5 Shot): Sports & Outdoors so far and I like it bough a cheep nylon carrier for two and they work great ..

Good choice have fun
    PEF and stylus like this.

Holster recommendation

I've had good luck carrying my model 642 snubby (same size as your 442) in this Comp-Tac 2 O'clock appendix carry holster. Appendix carry makes for a very fast draw, especially when seated, as in a car.

rugerista likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My 442 is my favorite handgun. I use an offset belt clip from Lobo Gun Leather (horse hide).

http://lobogunleather.com/9_offset_b..._iwb-style_new

I dried fired mine 100s of times with snap caps to smooth out the trigger. 135gr Speers are my favorite ammo. Easy to carry and way more reliable than a micro 380 in my experience.

Enjoy! Its a classic.
    stylus likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    +1 on the Galco Concealable Belt Holster. GREAT holster for j-frames!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

The model I ordered lists it as no lock.
    You did great then. My 442 has a lock and every time I see that hole in the side plate the hole in my soul hurts a little more; the unnecessary safety feature makes me feel
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I Put the old Uncle Mikes Boot Grips on my 442. That's how they used to come. Speed Loaders work fine with them. I also dri fire the crap out of all my Revolvers to smooth the action.
    Last edited by Haywood; November 14th, 2013 at 09:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links