Glock 19L 17 Chop

This is a discussion on Glock 19L 17 Chop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have asked several members here about the 17/19 conversion. I am considering chopping my 17 to a 19. I am curious to those who ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DRM

Thread: Glock 19L 17 Chop

Glock 19L 17 Chop

I have asked several members here about the 17/19 conversion. I am considering chopping my 17 to a 19. I am curious to those who have done this. How long did you have your 17 before you chopped it? How does the 19L compare to shooting the stock 17 and the stock 19. What are the benefits you have found? Do you have any regrets?

2. Remove Ads

Good god man dont chop a 17l down they are no longer made ( the 34 is now the 17l) just sell the dern thing and get a 34 and chop it

But if you must chop must peopel just line up the 19 mags to the 17 grip and make on there with a sharpie or such ..

JD
    Administrator
    Can't answer a lot of your questions but I'm happy with my "19L" my wait time was a little longer than average due to a misunderstanding between me and Bowie of Bowie Tactical.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

If I do one it will be a standard gen 3 17. I have a 19 that I shoot well. Really don't know why I need or want to this. Just one I those that sticks in my mind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have asked several members here about the 17/19 conversion. I am considering chopping my 17 to a 19. I am curious to those who have done this. How long did you have your 17 before you chopped it? How does the 19L compare to shooting the stock 17 and the stock 19. What are the benefits you have found? Do you have any regrets?
    We have been talking about this a lot here lately. First, I didn't chop it...Lou Biondo at Custom 1911-Glock- M&P's did the work on mine. I definitely prefer carrying the chopped version over the original. I like the feel of shooting it vs a 19, as well. I carried a 19 for a couple years (still do, but not often) before I had the work done on the 17, which I carry often. No regrets at all.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I, too, like the chopped grips. I have a couple of 19's that I did myself (with grip reductions as well). I was also fortunate to make a trade and got a Bowie Tactical 17/19 that is sweeeeet! Very nice feel and in my hands, better balanced. No regrets what-so-ever!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Always wanted to chop my 2nd gen 17 but can't bring myself to do it.

I shot one that was chopped to 19 length but with the 26 profile(the butt of the grip extends down a little behind the magazine.) It shot great but I just don't think you gain anything from doing it that way.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I was thinking of chopping my new gen 3 17 to take 19 mags, but the difference in height is .44 inches and the difference in length is about 3/4 of an inch. I want to try carrying the 17 first.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I carried both G19's & 17's for years. I found the G19 rode better (flatter) AIWB for me than the big butt G17 mainly because of the extra pressure from my belly.

But the G17's longer slide held the gun in place better when stuck inside the pants without a holster. So, the logical choice was to chop the G17 to G19 length. I'd seen other smiths do the chop, some were buggered up, but some looked pretty good. Finally I got up the courage to do chop it (it is high risk work).

Bottom Line: My only regret was not doing the chop sooner. I find even when I carry the M1917 using a FIN DESIGN Kydex belt hip holster, the smaller grip doesn't print through the clothing like the G17 Big Butt does.

I absolutely love the M1917 conversion. And you should see the looks I get when I ask my clients if they've ever seen a Glock Model 1917 conversion.

As far as shooting goes, the G1917 behaves better than the G19. I like the balance better, and with the flat backstrap mod it points nicer (lower). The actual grip size is smaller than a G19 because I remove the speed bumps (finger grooves) and grind down all the gator bumps, too. Then I texture it.

GM1917 1.jpg
    Mike1956 likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Links