Trigger Mods Illegal?

This is a discussion on Trigger Mods Illegal? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is upgrading your trigger on your carry gun is a bad idea? I have heard that if you modify your trigger on your carry gun ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Trigger Mods Illegal?

Trigger Mods Illegal?

Is upgrading your trigger on your carry gun is a bad idea? I have heard that if you modify your trigger on your carry gun and you have to use that firearm in self defense the courts will use the trigger upgrade against you saying you intentionally made your firearm more lethal. Is there any truth to this?

I bought an M&P 40c and put in the DAK trgger from apex. I like the firearm and ever since I have heard this about the trigger upgrade I have been hesitant to carry this.

I appreciate everyone's input. One thing I should mention that I am sure will make a difference is that I live in MA.

Thank you,

Justin
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I can't imagine it being an issue if it's a good defensive shoot. Plus how would they know you changed the trigger if you don't tell them.
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.

Nope, only way I could think this could happen is if you had a ad an you shot someone.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

No, trigger mods are not illegal.

In a 'righteous' shoot, the mods should make no difference, but you never know what an unscrupulous prosecutor might use to try to sway a jury, or what a judge might allow.

The bigger risk is more likely to be in a civil action. I've seen several accounts where a "shootee" (i.e. BG) tried to claim that an SD shoot was not intentional, but rather accidental/negligent. If the shoot is negligent, the BG can sue, but if it's intentional, and legit, he generally can not.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Welcome from Memphis. IANAL but I don't think in a criminal action it would be an issue.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Welcome to the forum!

I have always heard the same thing. I do not know if is has any truth, but many people say "why take a chance." Many others say that as long as you do not tamper with any of the safety features of your gun, you are in pretty good shape. Personally, I think it depends a lot on your local district attorney and how pro/anti gun they are. If you have a particularly "anti" district attorney and they are either running for re-election, or trying for higher office, then watch out!
    sensei2 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Any DA can try whatever he wants to make you look bad. He can try to use the fact that you carried a 15 round instead of a 10 round to make it look like you were looking for multiple victims. It's up to your lawyer to show the jury the fallacy of his thinking/assumption.

That said, I'd never recommend a 1.5 pound trigger pull on a SA carry gun, but that is just me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I have always heard the same thing. I do not know if is has any truth, but many people say "why take a chance." Many others say that as long as you do not tamper with any of the safety features of your gun, you are in pretty good shape. Personally, I think it depends a lot on your local district attorney and how pro/anti gun they are. If you have a particularly "anti" district attorney and they are either running for re-election, or trying for higher office, then watch out!
    I love the double standard DAs can apply based on their political and emotional views.
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakordas View Post
    Is upgrading your trigger on your carry gun is a bad idea? I have heard that if you modify your trigger on your carry gun and you have to use that firearm in self defense the courts will use the trigger upgrade against you saying you intentionally made your firearm more lethal. Is there any truth to this?

I bought an M&P 40c and put in the DAK trgger from apex. I like the firearm and ever since I have heard this about the trigger upgrade I have been hesitant to carry this.

I appreciate everyone's input. One thing I should mention that I am sure will make a difference is that I live in MA.

Thank you,

Justin
    Not illegal. How would anyone know, and why would they really care? More lethal? As opposed to what? dead is dead, and all firearms are 100% lethal if used properly. That's their purpose. This whole "used against you in court" nonsense is bunk. The only exception to this being if by modifying your gun, you make it unsafe.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Is upgrading your trigger on your carry gun is a bad idea?
    Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Depends on the change.

I'm of the opinion that improvements in safety, reliability, fitment that can be articulated are clearly easy to justify. Particularly when they're (a) factory options and/or (b) done by a competent gunsmith with years of experience on that platform.

But I also believe there are some legitimate potential concerns, legally speaking, for any of the tweaks that negatively impact safety, reliability. Notable in this category is the proverbial "hair trigger," for example. Get found out to have had that done to your defensive sidearm in a situation where you're being evaluated for whether your actions in a claimed self-defense situation were legitimate, then you're likely to have some explaining to do about the viability of that trigger.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 16th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.
    sensei2, gatorbait51 and DRM like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The DAK trigger drops the 10lb trigger to about a 5 lb trigger. Because of hearing about the possibility of an issue I have made a new purchase, a Sig P220.
    ZOMBIEvs42 and gatorbait51 like this.

The only way it will be an issue is if you have a negligent discharge due to it being lighter than stock, however if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot. If someone is attacking you and trying to kill you, a 3.5lb pull will not make or break the case.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

I customize my guns for me. I could care less what anybody else thinks about it. Just do not make it an unsafe weapon.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

if changing the gun improves the shootability, control, etc then do it. everyone is entitled to their opinion, but show one, just one, incident where a trigger has been a main issue of contention, and was the cause for a justifiable shooting to be ruled as a homicide and put someone in jail. Can they ask about it, sure. will they , maybe. As long as a shoot is justifiable, the trigger in the gun means nothing. If it wasnt justifiable, the trigger is the least of your worries. Heres how I would respond in the stuation....

Lawyer: "mr schnozzle wozzle, is it true you changed your trigger from the factory stock item to an after market trigger mechanism?
    Me: yes it is
    Lawyer: Did you do this to increase the dealiness of the weapon you were carrying?
    Me: No. I did it to improve the level of control I had over the firearm, allowing me to shoot with greater accuracy.
    Lawyer: So you could kill people quicker?
    Me: No. In the event of an attack against my life of the lives of others, the trigger allows me to shoot with a greater degree of accuracy.That allows me to minimize the risk I present to innocent bystanders in the event I were forced to discharge my weapon in defense of my life, or the lives of others.

See how this works...... is it fool proof...nope... but again i ask you or anyone else to show me some case law where the trigger of a weapon was the primary issue thst sent someone to prison. This " my uncles friend who sat next to this guy at the bar who's mechanic knew a girl who dated a guy who was friends with the sister of a guy... " stuff really needs to end. Legal advice from a guy who watched law and order is about as useful as a pilot who once flew a paper airplane.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The DAK trigger drops the 10lb trigger to about a 5 lb trigger. Because of hearing about the possibility of an issue I have made a new purchase, a Sig P220.
    WOO!
    youll love it.
    I carry a 220 in DA/SA, the gun just feels good in the hand. easy as sin to completly disassemble.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links