Defensive Carry banner

Springer GI Got one?

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  M2 
#1 ·
As an early Christmas gift I just got myself a Springfield GI 1911A1. I was wondering if anyone else has one and what your experience with it has been?

#3 · (Edited)
I have a 5" G.I.

It was a lemon out of the box. But SA fixed it within two weeks. Now it will chew and spit anything I feed it.
Painting the sights, helps get a quick sight picture. I also used a femail freinds nail polish, but mine has sparkles:tongue:. I plan on replacing my little sights with hardballs. Later I want to "dehorn" it, and put a better crosion resistant finish than matt on it.

P.S. My grips didnt have the U.S. logo on it. Does anyone else have nornal looking stock grips on their G.I.?

#5 ·
Mine came with the U.S. on the grips, but I put some slimmer hogue grip panels on it. My G.I. is my standard carry firearm for now. Haven't had any problems with it, shoots plenty accurate.

#6 ·
I have a GI Micro. Needed a ramp polish and normal break in but runs great now. Came with the usual GI grips which I replaced with smooth myrtle burl grips of my own. Have yet to paint the front post but it needs it. Hope to just replace 'em with something better like tritiums or three dots.

#8 ·
My SA gov45 is a milspec, grey parked. Has something over 30K through it, been rebuilt internally just last year. Carried it for over 2 decades in many dangerous places working the streets of Boston and Providence.

It's my favorite of the gov's I own, it has character, history, and we have shared some very interesting times together. The park finish has held up very well, some thin spots here and there, but no rust/corrosion anywhere.

Still factory milspec sights on it, carries wood grips with Colt medallions on them presently [ I don't really concern myself with what grips are on this one too much, as long as they are thin, checkered and wood ].

Many 1911's have come and gone through my hands in the last 30 years, but this one will stay with me till the end. Bought it new in 84. It's always been reliable.

Brownie

#9 ·
I've always been a pretty good shot, it is definately a better gun than I'm a shooter. It is my primary carry.

#10 ·
I have one in OD. I like it. It work very well, but could use a little work on the feed ramp. It is sort of choosy about ammo. My wife doesn't like the trigger.

#13 ·
I jumped on the wagon when thay they first came out near 3 years ago. They had Black plastic grips then. I got two one for me and one for the boy. Both ran for crap and jammed out of the box. New 18lb. recoil springs and a few100 more rds . and thay started to work most of the time. We were not impressed with these Brazil made 1911,s. SOld them off. Its a darn shame they were so unreliable. We got two Rock Islands and they ran 100% out of the box and a 1000rds still running without a jam. I,m not a fan of Springfields.

#14 ·
I've owned 3 SA's over the last 15 years, one Gov. and two Champ's. One Loaded Champ had some feeding and accuracy issues which were quickly remedied. My GI Champ has been flawless and very accurate. In fact I have a Para "LTC" and an STI Ranger II (both commander size), and the SA Champ is the one I have carried and depended on as my "back-up" and "off-duty" carry. So yes, I have been happy with my SA experiences and with their products.
Good Luck

#15 ·
Falsemap, I was looking for a Springer GI when I bought the Springer below. Mine had a GI replacement slide with adjustable sights. That wasn't for me. I also had a Para 14 with a Remington slide. What to do? I bought a Springer Mil Spec slide on E-Bay, swapped the internals from the Remington slide, did a fitting, and it is great. Why did I go with the Mil Spec slide? I have a hard time seeing the Springer GI sights. I hope your GI shoots as well as my cobbled together Springer. Regards, Richard :smile:

#17 ·
I bought a GI WW2 Champion about 3 years ago specifically for a fixer-uper and carried it for another year. One of my buddies begged me to sell it to him.....so I finally gave in and he still carries it today. It will eat anything I load into the mags.

#19 ·
Falsemap;

Mine SA milspec got a trigger job when new to 4.5 pounds. The feed ramp was polished at the same time. Until it gave up the ghost at around 35K+ it was ultra reliable. Had it rebuilt again internally and in the cooler weather out here in the desert, it still goes along for the ride.

I just picked up a Champion SA two weeks ago. It will get a trigger job when I get it to the gunsmith, and I polished the feed ramp myself. I exepct it will run with the best of them. It's only got 200 rds through it presently, but those first 200 were out the bore with no problems.

Didn't expect anything less from it.:urla9ub: SA has been good to me on service, just last week I called them to swap out the captured recoil spring system on the champ and an engineer got on the phone and explained what I needed to do to make it happen.

I order the parts from them, they should be here this week.

Brownie

Brownie

#24 ·
I picked up a parkerized Government GI this past summer, my first 1911 and I love it! There is a great review of it on M1911.org; plus a nice write-up in one of the 1911 magazines last month (can't remember which of the top of my head). It's a great basic 1911...and being a military history buff, I love the looks!

Cheers! M2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.