Springer GI Got one?

This is a discussion on Springer GI Got one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As an early Christmas gift I just got myself a Springfield GI 1911A1. I was wondering if anyone else has one and what your experience ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springer GI Got one?

Springer GI Got one?

As an early Christmas gift I just got myself a Springfield GI 1911A1. I was wondering if anyone else has one and what your experience with it has been?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

I have a GI Champion and like it. It's not as pleasing to the eye as my Kimber or Para's but it feels and shoots just fine.
    I added bright orange nail polish (Mrs. Airedales-not mine!) to help me find the front sight.
    Enjoy it,
    Dave

I have a 5" G.I.

It was a lemon out of the box. But SA fixed it within two weeks. Now it will chew and spit anything I feed it.
    Painting the sights, helps get a quick sight picture. I also used a femail freinds nail polish, but mine has sparkles. I plan on replacing my little sights with hardballs. Later I want to "dehorn" it, and put a better crosion resistant finish than matt on it.

P.S. My grips didnt have the U.S. logo on it. Does anyone else have nornal looking stock grips on their G.I.?
    Last edited by gregarat; December 9th, 2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Add a P.S.

Like a proud daddy, I had to add another pic.
    Attached Images

Mine came with the U.S. on the grips, but I put some slimmer hogue grip panels on it. My G.I. is my standard carry firearm for now. Haven't had any problems with it, shoots plenty accurate.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a GI Micro. Needed a ramp polish and normal break in but runs great now. Came with the usual GI grips which I replaced with smooth myrtle burl grips of my own. Have yet to paint the front post but it needs it. Hope to just replace 'em with something better like tritiums or three dots.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

i have a 1980's model that they made. it is a great gun. made it a race gun for the wife to shoot matches in the late 1980.

Sponsor
    My SA gov45 is a milspec, grey parked. Has something over 30K through it, been rebuilt internally just last year. Carried it for over 2 decades in many dangerous places working the streets of Boston and Providence.

It's my favorite of the gov's I own, it has character, history, and we have shared some very interesting times together. The park finish has held up very well, some thin spots here and there, but no rust/corrosion anywhere.

Still factory milspec sights on it, carries wood grips with Colt medallions on them presently [ I don't really concern myself with what grips are on this one too much, as long as they are thin, checkered and wood ].

Many 1911's have come and gone through my hands in the last 30 years, but this one will stay with me till the end. Bought it new in 84. It's always been reliable.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I've always been a pretty good shot, it is definately a better gun than I'm a shooter. It is my primary carry.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    I have one in OD. I like it. It work very well, but could use a little work on the feed ramp. It is sort of choosy about ammo. My wife doesn't like the trigger.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Gotta love the classic look!

All in all, these are very positive reviews, especially yours AzQkr! I'm hoping to get an El Paso Saddlery WW II military holster for it for Christmas. Can't wait to get it out to the range.

I jumped on the wagon when thay they first came out near 3 years ago. They had Black plastic grips then. I got two one for me and one for the boy. Both ran for crap and jammed out of the box. New 18lb. recoil springs and a few100 more rds . and thay started to work most of the time. We were not impressed with these Brazil made 1911,s. SOld them off. Its a darn shame they were so unreliable. We got two Rock Islands and they ran 100% out of the box and a 1000rds still running without a jam. I,m not a fan of Springfields.

I've owned 3 SA's over the last 15 years, one Gov. and two Champ's. One Loaded Champ had some feeding and accuracy issues which were quickly remedied. My GI Champ has been flawless and very accurate. In fact I have a Para "LTC" and an STI Ranger II (both commander size), and the SA Champ is the one I have carried and depended on as my "back-up" and "off-duty" carry. So yes, I have been happy with my SA experiences and with their products.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Falsemap, I was looking for a Springer GI when I bought the Springer below. Mine had a GI replacement slide with adjustable sights. That wasn't for me. I also had a Para 14 with a Remington slide. What to do? I bought a Springer Mil Spec slide on E-Bay, swapped the internals from the Remington slide, did a fitting, and it is great. Why did I go with the Mil Spec slide? I have a hard time seeing the Springer GI sights. I hope your GI shoots as well as my cobbled together Springer. Regards, Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links