Boberg XR9-S

Boberg XR9-S

This is a discussion on Boberg XR9-S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; American Handgunner magazine Jan/Feb 2014 has a nice article on the Boberg 9mm. Anyone here have any experience with this pocket pistol?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Boberg XR9-S

Boberg XR9-S

American Handgunner magazine Jan/Feb 2014 has a nice article on the Boberg 9mm. Anyone here have any experience with this pocket pistol?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I don't have any experience with the XR9-S, but I know from a lot of pocket carry experience that 17.4 oz. is a heavy gun for comfortable pocket carry.
    DetChris likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I can't even afford to look at one.

I thought about one, but was concerned that the pull-back feed mechanism could cause bullet/case separation, resulting in a jam that cannot be readily cleared. From their website, it appears such has happened. Not sure I could ever truly trust it - modern pistol ammo is just not designed to be fed that way.

And I will agree that it is heavy for pocket duty. If you carry it on a belt, then I'd go with something with more capacity.

It is a novel design, but I don't have a niche for it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

los
    Here's a few comparison charts featuring the Boberg XR9S I rendered a few years back...:

FML, connsolo and AnthonyC like this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Thanks, Los! Very informative!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I've fondled one at my buddy's LGS and the ergo's are FANTASTIC. The trigger pulls like butter and the pointability is perfect for me. Sadly, he pulled the guns off the shelf when the bullet separation issue came to light. One of their customers had this happen to them and they bought the gun back.

FML

Hello.

Just found this forum, and a Boberg thread as well. Can't get better. Has anyone here, actually shot an XR9-S?

I know it's expensive. I know that if you don't look on the website to check which rounds have weaker crimps, there can be problems with separations.

I know it has the smoothest trigger out of the box I have ever fired, been shooting since the mid 1970's.

For it's size, it has a really manageable recoil. I also shoot a 9mm PX4 SC, Glock 19 & 26 and a FNS 9 in addition to a half dozen or so inexpensive various caliber pistols. The XR9 has a comparable recoil to the Glock 19 or FNS 9. For a pocket pistol, it is really accurate as well.

Actually I should really ask, has anyone here actually shot a Boberg XR9-S and not purchased one?

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Here's a few comparison charts featuring the Boberg XR9S I rendered a few years back...:

I really really like your comparison charts. I might never own a Boberg (or Rohrbaugh) but at least i can see the comparisons to other guns !
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I'll be checking one out sometime soon. They are made in my state.

FML
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    I'll be checking one out sometime soon. They are made in my state.
    I will look forward to hearing your opinions. I hope you find them as good as my wife and I have and as much fun to shoot. Check out some of the videos available online on how they are made. The actual pistol frame is milled from a block of aircraft grade aluminum. I own a 1956 Baby Browning that has a similar aluminum milled frame that is still accurate and reliable.

I have an XR9-L which is identical to the xr9s except a longer barrel. I have about 300 rounds using five different brands of ammo from the "compatible" list with no failures to load, fire, or eject. It is a wide range of ammo on that list from cheap fmj to expensive JHP. When I get to 1000 rounds with no issues, I will call it reliable for carry.

Great ergonomics, butter smooth long double action. I shoot it more on target than any other pistol I own. Beautifully made. I don't debate price on the gun because if the only criteria were a combination of price and reliability, there are plenty of less expensive firearms that meet those two criteria.

The value for me is that I prefer DAO pistols. But they must have smooth triggers with clear breakpoints. The Boberg has that. It has low recoil, is easy to rack, has benn 100% reliable so far, shoots where I point it, and just feels and looks great.
    FML likes this.

too rich for my blood...for the price I could by a lot mor suitable goodies.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

FML
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    I have an XR9-L which is identical to the xr9s except a longer barrel. I have about 300 rounds using five different brands of ammo from the "compatible" list with no failures to load, fire, or eject. It is a wide range of ammo on that list from cheap fmj to expensive JHP. When I get to 1000 rounds with no issues, I will call it reliable for carry.

Great ergonomics, butter smooth long double action. I shoot it more on target than any other pistol I own. Beautifully made. I don't debate price on the gun because if the only criteria were a combination of price and reliability, there are plenty of less expensive firearms that meet those two criteria.

The value for me is that I prefer DAO pistols. But they must have smooth triggers with clear breakpoints. The Boberg has that. It has low recoil, is easy to rack, has benn 100% reliable so far, shoots where I point it, and just feels and looks great.
    It is the most accurate pocket pistol, imho, on the market today. I love the trigger. Came with a 8.5 lb, but we just ordered the 6 lb spring. We got the XR9-S for my wife's everyday CCW.
    I may end up with a XR9-L if we can fit it into the budget, because yes it is expensive. I would love to find someone's used Boberg that they want to sell because their reloads won't work. We also stick to the list of rounds on the website, and we use Remmington 115 gr bulk box ammo for target practice Golden Saber for defense rounds.
    My only problem was finding the anti seize for the locking block. Ended up buying 1/2 pound container which is about 10 lifetime's supply. Boberg should be selling that as an accessory.

Boberg firearms are supposed to be very high quality firearms. I read an article claiming that they can handle steady doses of +P rounds. Boberg had a rough time with reliability and quality at first but they managed to stay in business and are having a hard time keeping up with product demand. I have never owned or fired one, but I seen one at Buds. They are beautiful firearms with an ugly price tag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links