Fiber optic sights Vs tritium fiber optic sights

This is a discussion on Fiber optic sights Vs tritium fiber optic sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'm shopping for night sights and I see a lot of fiber optic tru glo sights, is there a huge difference between just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fiber optic sights Vs tritium fiber optic sights

Fiber optic sights Vs tritium fiber optic sights

Hey guys, I'm shopping for night sights and I see a lot of fiber optic tru glo sights, is there a huge difference between just the fiber optic sights and the tritium fiber optic sights? Thank you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Fiber Optic sights only gather ambient light and give you an improved set of dots. They're of little to no use in dimly lit to no light situations. Tritium sights glow at night. Some people have said that their Tritium sights without white rings around the vials to replicate a normal set of sights are somewhat hard to pick up during the daytime or in light. Most sets of night sights come with a ring of some sort around the vials now. Most but not all.

The TruGlo TFO sights incorporate both into the mix, giving you very bright Fiber Optics in lighted situations, and the glowing tritium vials for night time or dark applications.
    cltyus1 likes this.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

I used tru glow fiber on a lot of my guns . Tritium glows in low light.

My adivce for a carry gun get the normal size night sights for comp get the other . That has been what I have gone by Fiber vs. tritium? - The Firing Line Forums thing is Fiber optic sights have a tendency to fall out a lot .

This is the style I like tfosights.jpg . Unlese you are running a silencer or sry comp shotting that one there be great for HD/Carry etc. You want one that has mateiral in it that glows on its own not something that you have to charge ..

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    IMO, if this is for a defensive gun I'd be wary of fiber optics. The TFO's may be constructed in a way that would minimize the chance of damaging the fiber optics but I don't trust them on my cc pistols. Trijicon and Glock night sights have always worked very well for me in all lighting conditions.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I own one gun with TFO's the rest have Tritium sights. Fiber Optic sights require a larger cavity in the sight body for the element and are therefore a little less solid than sights with Tritium vials. The FO elements also can break or pop out under heavy use.

I have Tru Glo TFO's on my carry Glock. I love them, this is also my main IDPA gun so it gets shot alot.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I have Tru Glo TFO's on my carry Glock. I love them, this is also my main IDPA gun so it gets shot alot.
    How well are the fiber optics protected on the TFO's? Good to hear you have had good results with them.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I can't comment on the GLOCK TFO's Tundra, but the Sig TFO front sights have very little metal around the FO/Trit. element. I have knocked the element loose several times and worry that in rough field use it would be easy to crush the sight housing if hit against something. I apply a small amount of glue to the element now to help it stay in place.

I have a G19 that I shoot USPSA with (and carry it occasionally), I like it so much that I get a set for the G26. Compare with the Dawson FO that I put on the CW9, the TFO is very well protected IMO.

when I upgrade the sight on my Shield 9, it will be TFO.

Fiber optics-competition gun.

Tritium-carry gun.

The end.

I have the TFo's on 8 Glocks including 4 in the 357 SIG flavor. Love them...super bright during the day, and great night slight glow at night. I highly recommend them. The fiber optic tubes have great protection and cannot be seen from the front. YMMV, but they work for me.

As always, stay safe.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

I just installed my first set of TFO's. on my G27. They are a drastic improvement over the Mepro's I had.

Quote Originally Posted by rasp View Post
    I just installed my first set of TFO's. on my G27. They are a drastic improvement over the Mepro's I had.
    In your opinion, in what way(s) are they an improvement over the Mepro's? I have always considered Mepro's to be a very solid sight but prefer Trijicon myself. Just curious about the TFO's.

Sponsor
    Fiber optics rule the daytime for sure.

The FO elements also can break or pop out under heavy use.
    We (me and my instructors) have put well over 1/4 MILLION rounds down range with Pro-Sights. We've never had a fiber optic break or shoot loose.

The Pro Sight Advantage - it's what's on my SD G17 and it's gonna stay on it...

V-DOT SIGHT PICTURE.JPG
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Interesting -- I put Mepros on one of mine and bought TFOs for another. It was clear before I ever put them on I wasn't going to like them as well. They were much brighter than the Mepros in full daylight (which I liked), about the same in the dark, but nowhere near as good in normal indoor or dim light. The Mepros showed up much better, looking like normal white dots there while the TFOs sort of disappeared. It's very clear this is a YMMV deal; it's entirely possible that ten years ago before presbyopia set in I would have liked the TFOs just fine.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links