newbie looking for Advice on next set of guns to try before buying?

This is a discussion on newbie looking for Advice on next set of guns to try before buying? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am very new to pistol shooting (last Saturday). I took my NRA Basic Pistol class. Shot 50 round of .22 long and hit the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: newbie looking for Advice on next set of guns to try before buying?

newbie looking for Advice on next set of guns to try before buying?

I am very new to pistol shooting (last Saturday). I took my NRA Basic Pistol class. Shot 50 round of .22 long and hit the target all 50 times at 15 feet. This is a great first step for me because I have been afraid of guns after 2 traumatic incidences. But mentally I am ready and willing to take the next step. Tonight I am heading to the range for some more .22 practice. On Thursday my wonderful hubby and I will be moving up to try 9mm's. After that I will try .40 cal.

In the gun stores I really like the feel of the Glock 19, the M&P (the compact didn't fir my hand well because grip felt too short) and the Beretta 9mm. I am looking eventually for a conceal carry but first I have to know what I can handle, what I will like enough to practice with and then what I can conceal carry.

There are so many different guns out there. I need a place to start. Something very reliable, easy to get parts for, & because I have very long narrow fingers something I can fit in my hand.

I would love a list of 6 different guns of different calibers that I can rent and check off my list. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Well, you started out with the feel of the 'best'...the Glock-19 would be dependable, an excellent shooter, and would be easy to carry/conceal. If you like 9mm, then also look at the Glock-26...even easier to conceal.
    I'm a Glock guy who used to love other guns, too. Only YOU can really decide which will work best for you..keep holding them all, and soon one will begin calling out your name, "MamaKat, I'm the one you should take home."
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Smith & Wesson M&P Full Size or Compact with Pinkie Extension (since you mentioned that the grip on the compact seemed short to you.
    Springfield XDs or XD Compact (9mm, 45 <also 40 on the compact>)
    Walther PPS or PPQ
    CZ 2075 RAMI (9mm or 40)
    Kimber Solo (9mm)
    SigSauer P239 (9mm, 357sig, 40)

Might be worth your time to TRY a 1911 in 45

Good luck and I am glad to hear you want to try several before just buying. Anything we can do to help, we will try our best.

I would suggest checking out The Cornered Cat website. Lady Shooter tailoring her information to ladies. Kathy Jackson is one smart lady! Great resource!
    Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Love the Cornered Cat site! I have read it over and over. Love the list. I am looking forward to see which one says "Take me home"!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Give a look at the CZ P-07, available in both 9mm and .40. CZ PCR and P-01, available in 9 mm and the P-06 .40 cal. The CZ RAMI as already mentioned is another option. Also give the Bersa line a look at as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Glock 19 for too many reasons to list right now.
    cthruit and gatorbait51 like this.
    TY54712

For a ccw weapon you can't go wrong with a Glock IMO. They may not be pretty, but when you pull the trigger they go bang. Many don't like the feel of them though. I would encourage you to try out a Bersa BP9CC as well. It is a thin single stack 9mm that is very easy to conceal.
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.

Glock 19. Id be careful with the "logic" of how big a gun you can handle.

Id be more concerned with what fits the bill for a concealed carry gun that you can handle well. Just because its the right size, and you could handle it well, doesnt matter much if it jams up, and has a poor track record for reliability, either.

Once again, Glock 19, or Glock 26.
    NavyAirdale and gatorbait51 like this.

The three you mentioned are an excellent place to start. In addition, I'd try, in larger sizes:

CZ75B
    Walther PPX
    S&W SD9VE (a less expensive option)

If you'd want to try something smaller:

S&W M&P Shield
    Walther PPS

And I'll throw a revolver in there: Ruger SP101 - most of these are .357 Magnum, but you can fire the less-powerful .38 Special in these, which is what I'd suggest trying. .357 is a very powerful round and better if one works up to it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    If possible try to rent or borrow as many different types of handguns as possible before buying. Once you do this you will have a pretty good idea of what you want and need. If you do choose a 9mm semi-auto like the others said a Glock 19 is a good choice and somewhat of an "industry standard". Good luck!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    My wife loves the Beretta px4 compact. Last spring we were looking at guns for her. After she got the px4 in her hand nothing else mattered. As mentioned there are lots of fine choices and your gun choice is very personal.
    denclaste and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKat View Post
    I am very new to pistol shooting ... really like the feel of the Glock 19, the M&P and the Beretta 9mm.

I am looking eventually for a conceal carry but first I have to know what I can handle, what I will like enough to practice with and then what I can conceal carry.

I would love a list of 6 different guns of different calibers that I can rent and check off my list.
    If the selection of various sidearms that are on the market today all existed back when I first started in your position, I'd seriously take a look at the following ... given long-ish fingers, dislike of the puny sizing of the sub-compact frames, and uncertainty over whether my ultimate carry gun would be something else down the road.

In no particular order:

1. Glock 19 9mm. No manual thumb safety.
    2. Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro 9mm. Large, easy-to-use ambidextrous controls.
    3. H&K P2000 9mm, or the compact P2000SK version. Large, easy-to-use ambidextrous controls.
    4. SIG P239 9mm. Manual decocker lever, or no lever in the DAK (DAO) version.
    5. CZ P-01 or D Compact PCR 9mm (the 2075 RAMI 9mm compact is likely to be to short of a frame for you, but worth trying).
    6. Bersa BPCC 9mm / Kahr K9 9mm -- roughly similar pistols, size- and feature-wise. No manual thumb safety.
    7. S&W 3900 series 9mm -- discontinued for several years, now, but an excellent pistol.
    8. Ruger SP-101 .357 3" revolver -- if revolvers are your preference. Heavier, well-made, excellent carry gun.

Any of these ought to do you very nicely. Any can work well as a carry sidearm, presuming your wardrobe and holster/belt allow.

If you're just starting out, you might consider your first gun being one with a manual thumb safety. My personal preference is for either DAO or a DA/SA with decocker, but we're all different. My very first gun was a Browning BDM 9mm, with ambi controls, and it was extremely easy to learn on. Large, balanced, easy to use, slim enough to conceal once I did began to carry.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I don't like Glocks (for purely ergonomic and appearance reasons) , but the Glock 19 is a pistol that I recommend highly. It works (it goes bang with monotonous regularity), is a good size for both conceal carry and home defense. One can become proficient with it rather quickly and it is easy to maintain. It is one of the first pistols I suggest to new shooters.

I would also check out CZ's

I highly recommend Bersa Thunderer UC 9 Pro

And for an old but good used gun if you can find one S&W 5906 or 6906

I like revolvers personally
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Set of guns? 53365-Child-Double-Holster-and-Gun-Set-large.jpg

Just kidding. You may find that your husband and you don't necessarily need to be using identicle weapons. With a little experience you will find your own preferences. You are on the right track being here and asking questions. That's my preferred set of concealed carry weapons on the left, each has it's time
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

The Glock 19 is THE most popular gun that comes through my classes and it's the one most preferred by my women students. Good luck.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links