XDs Post-Recall: Not Happy

This is a discussion on XDs Post-Recall: Not Happy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Received XDs 45 back from recall work. Range time was not good. Everything was left and high (some more left; some more high; but everything ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By XDs 4me
  • 1 Post By pittypat21
  • 1 Post By XDs 4me
  • 1 Post By TDH1961
  • 1 Post By pittypat21
  • 1 Post By XDs 4me
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By accessbob
  • 1 Post By Stoveman

Thread: XDs Post-Recall: Not Happy

Received XDs 45 back from recall work. Range time was not good. Everything was left and high (some more left; some more high; but everything was either high or left or both). Before recall, groups were not perfect, but never this sporadic. But, the most disturbing were the number of failures to fire. Easily 10 percent of the rounds put through were failures. There were primer strikes on every failed round.

10+ percent failures is not acceptable. If anyone has any similar experience on the different groupings before / after the fix, I'd be interested to know about it, and opinions. I'm thinking it is most likely operator error, but strange that it is so different now, than it was before the fix.

What is more concerning, however, are the failures to fire. Was wondering if anyone had similar experience; and possible solutions.

Lastly, as a matter of reference point - I own other XD's. I have the 45 Compact, the 40 Subcompact, and the 40 Service. Without exception on any of these - I am markedly better with all of them, than I am the XDs. I'm a big guy with big hands. Can it even be possible for the thing to simply be not for me? I mean, for it to be the stand-out off-target one, both before and after the fix, well it makes me wonder. Your opinions (or solutions) please....

Thanks,

X
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Second place is first loser".

Small gun, big hands = you probably just need more practice with it to fix those groups. If it just returned from recall, you probably haven't shot it in a while and just need more range time.

As far as the light primer strikes are concerned, it could just be the ammo. If you've eliminated this possibility, then break down the slide and make sure the striker and its channel are clean.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Thanks, pittypat21 - I recall cleaning it when I got it back, but cannot for sure remember if I cleaned/checked the striker channel. I'll do that, test again, and work on groups. Many thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Try a different ammo and let someone else shoot it to see if they get the same results. Remember the basics, I know people who have sent guns back for repair and it seem that they lost all confidence in that firearm. Mentality with the firearm is 90% of how effective we are with said firearm. IMO hope this helps.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XDs 4me View Post
    Thanks, pittypat21 - I recall cleaning it when I got it back, but cannot for sure remember if I cleaned/checked the striker channel. I'll do that, test again, and work on groups. Many thanks!
    You'd remember if you had cleaned the striker. You have to break the slide down farther than just removing the barrel and guide rod.

This video specifically deals with checking for damage, but it shows you how to remove the striker:
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

That video helps a lot. I do remember doing that, but it was probably before I sent it in. I'll remove the striker and clean/check it tonight. Then back to the range. I'm hoping that will help. At least for the light strikes.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XDs 4me View Post
    If you have a rest available, try shooting a group off of it. That should tell you if it is the gun or you.
    gatorbait51 and pittypat21 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Have had no issues with Purple Floyd except I couldn't hit squat with the first 7 rounds, not the gun... me. Now her other gun, Toby , has arrived so 50 rounds at the range tomorrow should tell the tale .

I know I am strange ,(there, I admit it) , but I sort of like the slightly stiffer trigger pull. Much better out of the offside pocket .

Distinguished Member
    Have had no problem with mine since the return from the recall. Shot several magazines yesterday and most of mine were in the COM. I found that I needed to consciously make the effort to be mindful of my trigger pull (my very first mag after the return was horrendously up and left like yours). Since doing that it has been quite good. I have not had any light strikes.

My first mag after return:

CAM00633[1].jpg

My first mag yesterday:

CAM00663_xds_mag_1[1].jpg

Those were both from 50 feet (the only distance my gun club's rules allow).

CAM00668[1].jpg
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    First time I shot mine I had a FTE on either the first or second shot of both the first two magazines..... Quite PO'd.

Since then, zero issues, so I'm chalking it up to a break in process.

Shot mine last Saturday and got all COM hits at 25 yards. Not tight groups, but all where they need to be.

No, I haven't sent mine in yet....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Links