pocket pistol

This is a discussion on pocket pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering buying a sig P238 or other small pistol for conceal carry.... I would like to carry something that would allow me to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: pocket pistol

pocket pistol

I am considering buying a sig P238 or other small pistol for conceal carry.... I would like to carry something that would allow me to keep a round in the chamber with the hammer down but as I understand it a knock to the hammer in that position could cause an accidental discharge with the sig P238... Carrying it in "condition 1" concerns me since I have never had a 1911

I am open for suggestions...

2. Remove Ads

Snubnose revolver
    Tactical Senior Junior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactically Stealth Tactics And Tactical Bad-Assery

Distinguished Member
    Sig P290RS, but a snub works too.
    Eric357, gatorbait51 and ArmyCop like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

J-Frame Smith and Wesson ... 15 ounces and many options of .38 Special ammo.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

VIP Member
    If you are open to revolvers:

-PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

J frame. I just bought a Smith 442 this evening. Goes with my 60. As good as it gets for pocket carry.

Here's the deal: I'm a pretty good fan of SIGs. 220, 226, 229, M-11 (the new 228), and so on. I have owned two 238s, a standard Nitron and a Scorpion. No more. Both have been dealt with. Long gone.

Some folks will tell you to run hollows in a carry gun. Others will tell you hardball is a must for the 380. Hollows will not penetrate, so they say. Both sides are correct, so you must choose your poison. I favor hollows. But neither one of those 238s would reliably run anything other than ball. I expect this is due to the steep feed ramp. Whatever. Gold Dots, Hydra Shocks, XTP, all no joy. The only stuff that either liked was Critical Defense or Golden Saber. Both can be hard to come by here. And both were spotty at best. They ran ball all day, but no hollows.

I thought that might be conceding a bit much for a 600 dollar pocket 380. So away they went. A j frame is considerably less picky about ammo. If you can stuff it in the cylinder, it'll eat it.

If you must have a 238 and are good to go feeding it ball, then it is a good carry gun. Drops right into a pocket, and there are holsters everywhere for it.

Don't be afraid to carry it cocked and locked. As with the 1911, that is the idea. With a pocket holster, it doesn't point at anything that would give a guy the creeps. You hear all that crap from guys who are terrified of blowing something off, but the gun does not point in that direction with a pocket holster. Load it, rack it, safe it, top it off, holster it, and drop it in a pocket. It's that simple. That safety WILL NOT come off until you want it to.

Uh where in AK you live . We talking city here or bear country . I assume this would be for protection from two legged not four legged critter cause a pocket 380/9 is not going to do much agasint a critter up AK way. A 454 , 44mag ,500 maybe .

But for a normal get off me pocket rocket there are many out there ( I like pocket guns a lot ) .

THE 238 for me is hard to knock off the safey and unless you have a recaled model they should be drop safe etc.

I like the little sig guns but if 1911 saftey worrie you here are some of of my fav:

1. p3at or the 32acp version , very tiny guns but they can kick a bit .
    2. bretta tomcat/allycat a lot nastier then you think plus you dont need to rack the slide
    3. the lpc 380 ruger a light bit better version of the p3at that has a slid lock hold open
    4. the taurus lcp . I have heard great and bad things about this . I dont like manual locks so I dont have this
    5. S&w 638 or 642 38 j frame the 640 or similare j frame 357 . Also the ruger gp series are heavy and well made .
    6. Some people like the khars I am not a fan. But try one and see if you like it if you can
    7. the shield is another gun that I did not like due to hard springs
    8. I have been wanting to try a post recale xds9mm

if you want bigger size guns . The xd sc is a great gun one of my fav the glock 26 is also very good . Also a 6906 s&w is a good well made gun.

Here is my lcp with night sights and better trigger , my bodyguard 380 and my 380 smith wes20131111_151921.jpg20130622_224828.jpg20130818_142019.jpg20130923_140016.jpg
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Pro
    As many have said, a J-Frame S&W revolver would work well, or maybe a Ruger LCP. I have both, and really like both guns...but prefer the LCP for pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis. I like the J-Frame better IWB, but that's just me.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member

Smith and Wesson also has a hammerless .38 My dad has one. If you had a pocket holster for it I dont see how it could be much safer than that!

Kel-Tec PF9 makes for a good pocket pistol, and very concealable for being a 9mm. It's not as fancy or polished a piece as the SIG, but with a bit of TLC it gets the job done. A snubby revolver will work as well...

Think also Glock 26 or 27; and I have on several occasions put my Glock 19 in my trouser pocket and gotten away with it.
    5lima30ret and gatorbait51 like this.

My Sig238 has been in Condition 1 carry in my jeans pocket with a thin nylon pocket holster shorter on the safety side every day for a couple years doing all kinds of things. Safety has never gotten accidentally bumped off. It has a stout detent, but easy to thumb off safety. Would not even slightly consider trading it for anything else.

My pocket carry is Kahr pm9/cm9. DAO 9mm in a Slim, light package with a butter smooth trigger.
    Tundra5.7, Hodad and Kilowatt3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma1911 View Post
    My Sig238 has been in Condition 1 carry in my jeans pocket with a thin nylon pocket holster shorter on the safety side every day for a couple years doing all kinds of things. Safety has never gotten accidentally bumped off. It has a stout detent, but easy to thumb off safety. Would not even slightly consider trading it for anything else.
    Yep one gun I would not sell best saftey of all the pocket gun easy and big but still a bit firm so hard to knock off if you dont mean to

Are there gun clubs near you? What about shooting ranges? You might be able to take some classes. For example my local range offers 1911 tactical classes along with introductory classes to the 1911. Rent a few different actions, say DAO, SAO, DA/SA, DA at the range. Pay by the hour not by the piece.

I would like to carry something that would allow me to keep a round in the chamber with the hammer down.
    That would be a DA/DA pistol with a de-cocker. The de-cocker is only used when you are holstering the sidearm.

Condition 2 is not a good method of carry. If you're uncomfortable with Condition 1 then try Condition 3 - full mag, empty chamber, safety off, hammer down. You will have to practice often and practice hard to un-holster, pull back the slide as you bring the pistol up, let the slide go as you point, shoot. (aka "Israeli sling-shot method.")

Yeah, the P238 is a cute little thing. But it's serious money, more than you would pay for a Glock 19, 23, 30 or 36; more than a S&W M&P 45C or a Walther PPQ; more than some 1911s - Tisas, RIA, ATI or Metro/American Classic; more than a Ruger 1911.

I love 1911s but I am not entirely convinced that the Sig P238 is for me: the safety is hard to engage and disengage, the trigger pull is a little too heavy at about 8 pounds, the grip a little too short and small, the safety doesn't lock back the slide when the hammer is cocked, the safety locks the slide when the hammer is down. I don't suggest a leather holster for that reason.

I suggest you try before you buy.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    My pocket carry is Kahr pm9/cm9. DAO 9mm in a Slim, light package with a butter smooth trigger.
    I second this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links