AMT Back Up DAO 45 ACP.....

This is a discussion on AMT Back Up DAO 45 ACP..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...available.html In the above thread, Los posted about his AMT Back Up 45. His comments were so interesting about this little gun, we hijacked the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: AMT Back Up DAO 45 ACP.....

Distinguished Member

AMT Back Up DAO 45 ACP.....

Smallest 45ACP available

In the above thread, Los posted about his AMT Back Up 45. His comments were so interesting about this little gun, we hijacked the thread as pointed out by PEF!

So, I am starting a new thread.

I just purchased a Back-Up off of GB and I am going to give it a try. They have been notorious for being unreliable and there are comments ranging from "The best place for them is under 100 ft of water" to the other extreme of using it for EDC because of its reliability and size.

Los has had great experiences with his since doing some "fluff and buff" to it. Others get better reliability by using the newer magazines from High Standard. When I get the gun in the next week or so, I will take it out for a spin. I have ordered 3 new High Standard magazines and some spare parts available from Brownell's. I have picked up some 185 grain Federal ammo. This will be a starting point for the trial and error to see if this gun qualifies for entry into the rotation. Reliability will be the key, as pointed out by AzQkr. If it fails to become so after a a modest trial of minor mods and ammo, then it will find a new home.

I would like to hear from those who have found some success with the gun, to see if I can build on it.

For those who haven't, tell me what doesn't work. If you can't be specific, we get it, it can be unreliable and some people hate it. I am looking for what works and doesn't. Thank you.

357and40 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I had one years ago and it was reliable.

The trigger pull is very stout and makes hitting anything beyond 3 - 5 yards an exercise in mental discipline.

There isn't much you can do about the trigger pull, the hammer/hammer spring are what keep the gun in battery until the bullet leaves the barrel. The recoil spring is very small and only serves to return the slide back forward after a shot.

Still, all things considered they are neat little guns and I wish I hadn't got rid of mine.

Jim
    Chorizo likes this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Got one. Mine is very reliable. Surprisingly accurate too with it's tunnel sight. Can even ping a gong with it about 50% at 100 yards. Only issue I had was trigger pin was loose. I pulled it out kinda marred up the contact points with pliers, reinserted and no more problems. Decent lil gun. I like it, but must admit I don't carry it. I just like DA .357's better for CC.
    Chorizo likes this.

This information provided by you is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.

I bought one new in the early 90's just because it was "different". Still have it, the box, manual & Strong IWB holster that came with it. Purchased 4 more magazines. Origionally had a FTE/FTF about 1 in 25, hated the heavy trigger pull and I couldn't shoot over a hundred rounds at one time without my wrist (broken in high school) killing me, but seemed pretty accurate out to 20yds or so. A smith smoothed the feed ramp and it reliably eats 230g FMJ or Federal Hydroshock without fail.

Remarried in '02 and wife shoots but she couldn't pull this trigger without loosing aim. Same smith smoothed internals....better but not good enough. He then thought he could cut spring and lighten trigger more. It did, but then had light primer strikes about 2 of 5. Bad Move. Finally found an origional spring and all is better and I haven't had any failures since. She still can't pull trigger but, she don't shoot it.

I've probably put 2-3k rounds through it in the last 8 years with one FTE (think I limp wristed it then). It now rides in a holster mounted in the console of my truck cause it's heavier than the G26 I CCW, but easier to get to when I'm seated there.
    Chorizo likes this.

Administrator
    AMT Semi-automatics were originally known for being unreliable due to galling of the slide and frame because they were both identical Stainless of the same hardness.
    If I recall correctly that problem was eventually resolved.
    Some of the earliest AMT firearms like the HardBaller fared much better with the addition of modern ultra low friction lubricants applied to the slide/frame rails.

I have no idea how the more recent guns are doing (in general) with regard to reliability but, I will say that when the Back-Up does work it is an awesome and handy little gun.
    Chorizo and CLASS3NH like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Had one in the late '90's. Found the trigger pull length more than I could handle reliably. Difficult for me to pocket carry. Don't remember any reliability issues tho......
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Gents, thanks for the input. All helpful information. The gun will arrive on Friday and is supposed to be LNIB. As it is one of the earlier models without the firing pin block, I will assume that the galling could be problem. I will give this gun a fluff and buff as has been recommended keeping an eye out for issues. No issues, so much the better and I have some high speed-low drag lubricants especially made for this type of issues that I will be using.

I also ordered via Wolff the XP recoil springs, from Brownell's, an extra extractor, extractor spring, firing pin (old model) and some new model magazines, that are supposed to have solved feeding issues. When all arrives I will post photos of everything and get it to the range with some Federal 185 gain Hydra Shoks +p to see how she shoots with them, see what the trigger pull issues might be and post a range report.

More to follow.
    Pete63 likes this.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Congrats!
    Keep us informed. I lusted big time over one of these back in the day, but didn't have the funds at the moment to acquire one.
    Then, they sort of "went away," and I didn't think about an AMT for a long time. Thanks for posting.......

Distinguished Member
    Some Specs on the AMT 45 DAO:
    AMT .45 ACP Backup — Pistol Specs, Info, Photos, CCW and Concealed Carry Factors™, Firepower, Concealalability, Reviews, and User Comments — WhichGun.com

On the Kahr PM45
    Kahr PM45 - Style # PM4543, Kahr Arms Pistols

Other than the AMT being 4 ozs heavier ( Kahr 19.3 ozs with empty mag, AMT 23 ozs with empty mag) and slightly shorter in height (.5"), there isn't much difference.

The Kahr has a decent trigger and is more than twice the cost of the AMT. I have read (for what that is worth) reliability can be a problem with the Kahrs also.

I've wanted one ever since first seeing one on the interwebs but was never able to come across one in person until a friend got one not too long ago. I got to put some rounds through it and the trigger pull should be measured in feet instead of pounds. We only put 100 rounds through it, but all were trouble free. I'll have to ask him if he still has it and see if he changed anything or if he just happened to luck out and get a good one. It was definitely a neat little gun but after finally shooting one, I found out I could live just fine without one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I've wanted one ever since first seeing one ................, I found out I could live just fine without one.
    That best describes me, however I still have trouble defining the difference between "need" and "want", so I said "What the hell." I couldn't justify buying a Kahr PM45 at their listed price, but picking up this jewel for less than $420 with all of the extras I ordered, still 1/2 the price of a Kahr with 1 mag, I couldn't pass.

I may regret it, but we will see. I find it hard to imagine that this little thing is even smaller than my RAMI 40 S&W (which I love and carry frequently) CZ 2075 RAMI — Pistol Specs, Info, Photos, CCW and Concealed Carry Factors™, Firepower, Concealalability, Reviews, and User Comments — WhichGun.com

I look forward to seeing if you can come up with some more info....I want to like this gun, but we will see.

Review on Kahr: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...iew-kahr-pm45/
    blitzburgh likes this.

Look at the bright side, even if you don't like it, it's a neat little piece to keep around and/or it shouldn't take long to sell/trade away. I just can't bring myself to get rid of a gun once I buy it as long as it's functional, even if I don't particularly like it.
    Pete63 and Chorizo like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Picked up the DAO today and before I left I took a quick picture of it with a Sig P238 overlaid on the DAO. Same size as you can see in the pic below. I took it apart for a quick fluff and buff then a cleaning. Over the next few days I will be providing comparison pictures of various firearms for a size review.

For all practical purposes it is the exact same size as a Sig P290RS (tiny fractional differences is all) so the following chart will give you some idea.

It fits my small hands well and while I have yet to shoot it, it chambers while "slinging shotting" the slide without issue. I am waiting for Wolff to send me my replacement recoil springs and we will work on some range time using Federal 185 Grain Hydra Shok +p rounds.

The newer magazines I just got from Brownell's are noticeably better quality and finish with an improved follower that resists the bullet "nose dive".

The trigger is heavy but smooth. It definitely isn't a target gun, but I think that the trigger is adequate for what it is for, a back up or deep cover gun.

Distinguished Member
    P290RS vs AMT DAO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links