A new M&P Shield to replace my Beretta Nano

This is a discussion on A new M&P Shield to replace my Beretta Nano within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I liked the sub compact size of the Beretta Nano, but I didn't like the trigger, and it was finicky with 115 grain ammo, so ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: A new M&P Shield to replace my Beretta Nano

A new M&P Shield to replace my Beretta Nano

I liked the sub compact size of the Beretta Nano, but I didn't like the trigger, and it was finicky with 115 grain ammo, so overall, I did not like it, and I ended up trading it in a few months ago, and got a Sig P239.

I've been looking for a new sub compact pistol, and after seeing so many positive reviews for the Shield, it was at the top of my list. I found one online last night at Buds Gun Shop for $449.00, and decided to buy it.

2. Remove Ads

I liked my Nano when I had it. Was picky about 115gr ammo, but would run 124 and 147gr like a champ. Only reason I got rid of it, I was made an offer I couldn't refuse at the time. Thinking about getting another one in the near future. Have heard very good things about the Shield, never held one though.

Hope you like it!
    missymay, gatorbait51 and cjkent like this.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

VIP Member
    I really like my shield. Very easy to carry and great ergos. Also mine has been 100 percent reliable. The only drawback is that it is hard to insert a full mag with the slide closed. But just lock it open and then insert and problem solved.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I really like my shield. Very easy to carry and great ergos. Also mine has been 100 percent reliable. The only drawback is that it is hard to insert a full mag with the slide closed. But just lock it open and then insert and problem solved.
    Thanks for the tip PEF.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

When I was looking for a new EDC I had the Nano, Shield, CW45 on my list. After reading a bunch of not so great Nano reviews and not liking the balance in my hand I chose the Smith.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You're gonna like the Shield!

I considered the Nano (and I think very highly of Berettas), but the so-so track record of the Nano plus my very good experience with the M&P 9 swayed me and I got the Shield. It's been 100% reliable, comfortable to carry, super accurate for its size, and a lot of fun to shoot!

Great gun!
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I like my 9mm Shield, somewhat. Very easy to shoot and accurate and carries very well. I just don't like the thumb safety. I don't use it, but wish it wasn't there in the first place. Just another device on a gun that can make it harder to shoot when I need it the most.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Just slam it in, ........ It's a tool, a weapon.

Uh make sure you can take it apart and put it back together I could not force the darn thing back together the springs and very nasty and tight. Also getting it to lock open you need a mag in the gun that springs are too hard to overcome.

I call s&w and they just said it is normal and shoot it . But I dont feel like taking 2 hours to put the thing back together so I gave up and sold it .

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Uh make sure you can take it apart and put it back together I could not force the darn thing back together the springs and very nasty and tight. Also getting it to lock open you need a mag in the gun that springs are too hard to overcome.

I call s&w and they just said it is normal and shoot it . But I dont feel like taking 2 hours to put the thing back together so I gave up and sold it .
    2 hours to reassemble a Shield after field strip?? No kidding? May be wheel gun is best for you, better yet, buy a Ruger mk III to horn the reassemble skills .... a new toy none the less..

VIP Member
    Good call on the Shield...dig mine big time! It's my EDC and will be that for a long time to come.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    2 hours to reassemble a Shield after field strip?? No kidding? May be wheel gun is best for you, better yet, buy a Ruger mk III to horn the reassemble skills .... a new toy none the less..

I have taken apart and put together a lot of guns . The problem with the shiled was getting the slide back on it .

Do you own one ??

I wish someone could tell me if they own one if the springs are less tight after firing a while .

I have taken apart and clean a lot of guns semi and rifles .I dont have much of any real space to strip so I like guns that are easy to strip and put together .

Maybe it is just me but I like it when you dont need to watch 4 videos and re read the owner manual just to see how to put a gun together .

I think more so the problme was I could put it togeteher but that it rquired just the right angle and such to catch and lock . That is not for me .

Yes siree, I do own a Shield 9. Yes, the RSA is almost as tight as my PM9 and CM9, but not worse. I have no problem to reassemble them all. For Shield, I read from some posts aboutb the need to align the RSA correctly (straight) along with the barrel, but I never pay special attention to that and still no issue. May be I am just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    For post count? OP just ordered it last night.....
    NickBurkhardt likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links