Review: Traction Grips rubberized grip enhancement

This is a discussion on Review: Traction Grips rubberized grip enhancement within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the quest for perfecting our fire arms, some of us have spent significant amounts of money on this new great gadget or that wonder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Review: Traction Grips rubberized grip enhancement

Review: Traction Grips rubberized grip enhancement

In the quest for perfecting our fire arms, some of us have spent significant amounts of money on this new great gadget or that wonder gizmo, in the quest to perfect our firearms. New sights, better parts, or more drastic action such as attacking your gun with a soldering iron..... each of us needs something different. I was no different.

I was wanting a better grip on my guns. I like a good solid grip that doesn't move. Super glue tight is a good way to put it. In my personal quest, i explored different options... skate board tape, stippling, bicycle inner tunes, slip on grips.... nothing was just quite right. Then i came across talon grips, and the idea of rubberized grip stick on sheets was intriguing. While researching them, I came across Traction Grips, and they too intrigued me, and they came in grey which went nicely with black for a nifty two tone look. At around 10 bucks + shipping and handling, I figured if I didn't like them I wouldn't lose much. So I ordered a set for my M&P shield, installed them and gave them a few weeks of carry to see what I thought. So how did they work out? ....
    I ordered a second set for my P95.

When my first set of grips came in, I of course installed them immediately. The directions are simple and easy to follow and require nothing special for installation. After cleaning the frame, I installed the traction grips quickly and easily. WARNING: the glue is very sticky, test your positioning BEFORE you remove tha paper backer, and don't touch the gun with bare hands after cleaning. After installing the grips require heating with a hairdryer to "burn off" oils from manufacturing. I don't own one so I used a lighter very carefully. Man, the difference in grip was incredible. They really are sticky.

Shooting: Took them to the range several times and was very impressed. The Shield 9mm is a very easy shooting gun, but the grips still felt great in the hand when shooting and gave me more confidence when shooting with a super solid grip. I had no issues when carrying either. i was concerned that they would grab clothing...but I have had no issues at all. after a few weeks, I decided I liked them enough to order a second set for my Ruger P95DC. anyone familiar with the ruger P series pistols knows why they would be beneficial, but for those who dont.... The P series pistols have smooth polymer frames and grips. With sweaty hands, holding onto the gun can be akin to holding a slippery eel, especially under rapid fire, which is my only issue with the P series pistols. I ordered up a blank set of grips and cut them myself to fir the front and back strap of my P95DC, and they made a huge difference.

The grips made a drastic improvement in my grip on my P95. I no longer needed to readjust my grip after a few shots, and the gun felt anchored in my hands. On the first range trip, rapid fire strings grouped tighter than before and aimed fire was very impressive. They really made a big difference oj my shooting ability with my P95DC.

All in all, after weeksof use and consideration, I have found the traction grips to be an excellent value and a truly useful and beneficial product. A useable and effective product for less than dinner out for one... can you ask for more? Not anymore you cant.
    missymay, DJC7 and GhostMaker like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Nice product review.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    pictures? please
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Great review! Thanks! I also have a P95 and understand the slippery eel feeling. And since buying the BP9CC I've discovered it's not much better. I'm going to have to put these on my Christmas list for stocking stuffers!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I would be happy to post some pics after work tonight for you granny :).....

Why wait till Christmas ? At around ten bucks they won't break the bank lol and I think you deserve an early Christmas present

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Thanks for the write up. Sounds like a very good product that is worth considering!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    After installing, the grips require heating with a hairdryer to "burn off" oils from manufacturing. I don't own one so I used a lighter very carefully.
    Yous crazy, man. You have much more nerve than I have. Kudos.

From another thread:
    Just clean the frame, heat the frame and grip decal with a hair dryer, peel and stick. The heat fixes the adhesive.
    Traction Grips

Tractiongrips

I was surprised that they don't post their instructions. I will assume that one heats the back of the grip decal, and not the front.

Yes, I prefer rubber feeling grips. I'm surprised that "rubber socks" didn't work for you. I take it that it made the grip feel too big?

Why wait till Christmas ? At around ten bucks they won't break the bank lol and I think you deserve an early Christmas present.
    True!
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Tractiongrips are a great product! I have them on my SCCY CPX2, really improved the feel of the gun. For my gun, they came with precut pieces for the grip panels, backstrap, finger grooves, and bottom surface of the trigger guard. The fit was perfect and had no trouble installing them.

FYI: The universal grips are currently on sale for $4.99!
    Store Page: Buy Here
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Yous crazy, man. You have much more nerve than I have. Kudos.

From another thread:

Traction Grips

Tractiongrips

I was surprised that they don't post their instructions. I will assume that one heats the back of the grip decal, and not the front.

Yes, I prefer rubber feeling grips. I'm surprised that "rubber socks" didn't work for you. I take it that it made the grip feel too big?
    Yes and no.... The grips are backed with adhesive. You put them on the gun and then heat gently to help set the adhesive to the frame. It also soften the grip sheet allowing it to conform to curves better. It is really very simple and fast. I tried the "sock" type grip sleeves but they add too much bulk, on my p95 it would have been hard to get a grip

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ~Daniel Webster

VIP Member
    I would be happy to post some pics after work tonight for you granny :).....
    Thanks - someone else posted a link to pic on another thread. Most interesting. I can see how they would make a huge difference in a gun that didn't have a textured grip, or not much of one. When we are at the range I always use Past padded shooting gloves because of the arthritis in my thumb area so that takes care of any sweat problem I might have with my grip.

==================

Here is a pic of my shield 9mm with traction grips installed

ShooterGranny likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

I just ordered a set for my Shield. Right now they must have a deal going, free shipping. Thanks for the review Taurahe!!!!

VIP Member
    Here is a pic of my shield 9mm with traction grips installed
    Looks nice - and very practical. Great to find an inexpensive solution for a problem!

==================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links